PDA

View Full Version : Help with installing custom firmware.

LoJack
March 27th, 2008, 00:20
Ok I've got my PSP at version 2.71 the sony firmware. What I'm trying to do is get custom firmware to work on it so that I can clean the keys on it. If I can't I jist want to get my psp to where I can play Crisis Core. I've tried several versions of custom firmware and I cannot get them to work! I may be missing some steps.. I get some kind of error saying that the game could not be started. Maybe I'm doing something wrong? If you anyone could recommend a firmware version I could use and give me some instruction on how to use it I would GREATLY appreciate it!!! I don't know if you would need to know this but I have a PSP 1001.

EvilGreenRanger
March 27th, 2008, 01:10
Yes I have a similar problem it says "The Game Could not be started (80020001)" Could someone help? I am tired of using my PSP as a paper weight..

MicroNut
March 27th, 2008, 06:13
You will have to be running custom firmware to use Chilly Willys key cleaner (http://forums.exophase.com/showthread.php?t=1238)

FF7 Crisis Core works on firmware 3.40 and up.

LoJack
March 27th, 2008, 11:44
Alright I'm working on installing 3.40 Open Edition REvision A. It says to "Execute the program, and it will generate the DATA.DXAR file. The checksums (althoug the flasher
will check for them for you):"
What program is this refering to? And how do I do this?

bah
March 27th, 2008, 12:07
MicroNut can probably explain it better, but heres a link to an old post of mine:

http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=2148004676&postcount=15

MicroNut
March 27th, 2008, 14:46
Ok I've got my PSP at version 2.71 the sony firmware. What I'm trying to do is get custom firmware to work on it so that I can clean the keys on it. If I can't I jist want to get my psp to where I can play Crisis Core. I've tried several versions of custom firmware and I cannot get them to work! I may be missing some steps.. I get some kind of error saying that the game could not be started. Maybe I'm doing something wrong? If you anyone could recommend a firmware version I could use and give me some instruction on how to use it I would GREATLY appreciate it!!! I don't know if you would need to know this but I have a PSP 1001.

If you are running Official 2.71 firmware
Then You cannot run the Key Cleaner.
All you need to do is upgrade to 3.40 official and you should be able to play your game.
The Disk comes with an official update that will allow you to play the game.

If I read this correctly you do not have Pandora so you cannot Downgrade your PSP.
If you want to install custom firmware I suggest you get and use Pandora's Battery (http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=2148040799&postcount=8)

MicroNut can probably explain it better, but heres a link to an old post of mine:
http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=2148004676&postcount=15
Thats actually quite a good collection of comments.

Alright I'm working on installing 3.40 Open Edition REvision A. It says to "Execute the program, and it will generate the DATA.DXAR file. The checksums (althoug the flasher
will check for them for you):"
What program is this refering to? And how do I do this?
Whats happening with the DATA.DXAR file?

The "oeupdmaker" is taking parts pf the 150.pbp and official 3.40.pbp
and combining them into the custom firmware update that will be flashed to your PSP.
The name of that file is DATA.DXAR

Once the DXAR file is created follow the rest of the instructions.
"Move the DATA.DXAR to 340oeflasher directory"
Then run the firmware update.

I hope you find something with the KeyCleaner that fixes the game problem.

If your wondering why is it doing this update creator thing?
Or why does this look so much different than the new CFW updates?

Up until 3.71M33 all CFW and Homebrew ran using parts of the 1.50 core firmware.

Then the PSP SLIM was released
It was soon discovered that 1.50 firmware does not run on SLIM psp's. (Sony protection)
DA had to redesign his CFW to work without using parts of the 1.50 core.
This also meant that all homebrew that used the 1.50 core would no longer work.
For backward homebrew compatibility reasons he created the 1.50 plug-in for PHAT PSP's
Homebrew for SLIM's must be re-written without using calls to the 1.50 firmware.
This is what makes Time Machine for the Slim so cool.

This all actually worked against Sony.
Dark Alex refined the updates from 3.71 on
The result is that whole update processes is now much more stable and reliable.

The changes since 3.71 do put a little more pressure on DA to support POPS and 150 add-on for Phat PSP's.
But DA and team just look unstoppable.
They have gutted the firmware and it seems like there is nothing they cannot do.