PDA

View Full Version : Sony Downplays GTA IV Episodic Content

Shrygue
March 31st, 2008, 17:30
via Gamedaily (http://www.gamedaily.com/articles/news/sony-downplays-gta-iv-episodic-content/?biz=1)

In an exclusive interview to be published in the next few days on GameDaily BIZ, Scott Steinberg, VP of Product Marketing at Sony Computer Entertainment America, has commented on Microsoft's exclusive episodic content for Rockstar's much anticipated Grand Theft Auto IV.

The GTA franchise historically has always been associated with Sony's PlayStation, but this time not only is the latest GTA not exclusive, but Sony failed to secure a deal for any exclusive episodic content on PS3. If you ask Steinberg, however, none of that ultimately matters to the average consumer.

"[Microsoft] spent the GNP of several small Latin American countries to get that [content], and if you've ever played San Andreas...there's a lot of game to Grand Theft Auto and there's going to be a lot of game to Grand Theft Auto IV to the point where I think most people will have that Grand Theft Auto experience on the PS3, day and date, same core game shipping on the 360. Perhaps they'll be shipping some episodic content in the fall, but there is a whole lot of product shipping on the PS3 in April and I personally don't think there's going to be a huge percentage of folks who jump into downloadable content for another price when they're still playing through the core product," he told us.

"So while I do think having that brand on their system was a move for them which they felt they needed to make because they cut a big check for it, I think PlayStation fans know the Grand Theft Auto experience on the PS2 is how they grew up playing Grand Theft Auto," he continued, "and when you combine GTA IV with MGS 4 and Gran Turismo 5 Prologue, all the exclusive content that we've got going forward, I think that goes from tipping point to shoving point for consumers who are on the fence, wondering what platform should I buy. I think the clear exclusive message that we have is that the PS3 is where, not only do you get Grand Theft Auto, but you'll get MGS, you'll get Gran Turismo and these are also brands that have moved hardware units. It's the elite of the elite products that actually enable hardware to be sold with software and we'll have three of them."

Stay tuned for the full interview in which Steinberg talks about the impact of Blu-ray, the SKU strategy for the PS3, the Wii, controller complexity and more.

F9zDark
March 31st, 2008, 18:17
I disagree. Episodic Content is a great way of securing that players "play the same game" and a way of securing higher profits for a game that we already paid for. I have spent probably close to 20 bucks on songs for Rockband, simply because it is content I wanted.

If GTAIV offered this on the PSN, and I wanted them, I'd buy them; regardless of whether or not I played GTAIV until I was sick of it. And even then, thats the BEST way of earning money. People may buy it because they want it, and never end up playing the missions or offerings of the episodic content; yet they paid for it, the companies got their money and they are happy.

I'd think Sony would want to secure episodic content for every game they release because it makes the PSN stronger in terms of earning money. If companies see the profit potential of the PSN, they too will want to support it with content.

Ultima Chocochu
April 1st, 2008, 04:54
You make a good point F9zDark, but so does Steinberg at the same time.
A lot of people have said they'd rather play the PS3 version just because they grew up with it on PS2 and PSOne, and they totally ignored the extra content which I think is something Steinberg is saying
You do make a good point though, but he was basically saying(I think) they didn't have to do things like that to sell games like 360 had to, at least I am assuming he is implying this
Downloadable content is indeed nice, but not necesarrily needed for most people.

pibs
April 1st, 2008, 06:40
God how I loved the playstation series..... I was one of those people who were pissed off that the GTA series was going on the xbox and here I am preordering it for 360. Peoples tastes in gaming change yet I still own both next gen consoles id rather pick it up for 360 cuz im an achievement whore ;)

People will buy this no matter what console it comes out with DLC or without its just comes to personal choice not what system is better.

F9zDark
April 1st, 2008, 16:54
You make a good point F9zDark, but so does Steinberg at the same time.
A lot of people have said they'd rather play the PS3 version just because they grew up with it on PS2 and PSOne, and they totally ignored the extra content which I think is something Steinberg is saying
You do make a good point though, but he was basically saying(I think) they didn't have to do things like that to sell games like 360 had to, at least I am assuming he is implying this
Downloadable content is indeed nice, but not necesarrily needed for most people.

Perhaps. Sony may be banking on the fact that GTA has almost been completely Sony exclusive, but who knows how the tides will turn on this one.

Even if we don't get episodic missions, Sony should at least get on Rockstar's case for more and more cars; can never have enough of those ;)