PDA

View Full Version : need some help with my new PSP Slim (old PSP hacking fan)

HumanIce
March 31st, 2008, 21:46
I was once a great fan of old fat PSP, I had custom firmare 3.xx (dunno the last numbers) m33-3, but it bricked 5 months ago.
and just now I bought a PSP Slim with firmware 3.71 and I have no idea what to do next and how to play the good old emulators and Doom-PSP again..
is there any way I can get to the newest and best custom firmware?
my memory stick is still filled with lots of emulators, PS1 games and stuff I've had since 5 months ago.

bah
April 1st, 2008, 08:55
You say your and old PSP hacking fan, did you try fixing the old PSP with the pandora's battery method?

You will need to use that method if you want to put a custom firmware on the slim also.

Explanation of what the Pandora's battery is. (http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=2148004676&postcount=15)

Guide on how to use the Pandora's battery method. (http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=75654) This will create a magic memory stick that can will unbrick/install a custom firmware on both slim and fat PSPs.

You need access to a PSP that can already run homebrew (friend etc) to create the Pandora's battery/magic memory stick.

You can buy a datel 'tool' battery or hard-mod a battery by cutting a pin, but you still need the special files on the memory card.

No-one can legally give you those, a second PSP that can already run homebrew is needed because is can both decrypt sony's protections, and run homebrew code.
With both those things it can modify an official sony update file into a magic memory stick.

HumanIce
April 1st, 2008, 16:14
You need access to a PSP that can already run homebrew (friend etc) to create the Pandora's battery/magic memory stick.
damn.. well, thanks anyway.
I'll buy a fat PSP with a custom/old official firmware from ebay later.

should I update my PSP? because I kinda want to remote play my PS3 and do stuff like that.

well, there goes my only way to play PS1 portable or any other system somewhere else than home.

bah
April 1st, 2008, 17:59
You can update to any firmware you want, when you get a pandora's battery/memory stick you can use it no matter what firmware the PSP is running.

HumanIce
April 1st, 2008, 23:53
You can update to any firmware you want, when you get a pandora's battery/memory stick you can use it no matter what firmware the PSP is running.
awesome.. that's news to me. I just updated to the newest firmware.. now I feel good about it o_o (at least hope this isn't april fools)
I'll do this all soon, after at least 2-3 months.

bah
April 2nd, 2008, 05:13
It's not an April fools.

All of the old downgraders were based on flaws in the firmware/a game. Sony would patch them so if you updated to a new official firmware you could no longer downgrade.

The pandora's battery method puts the PSP into service mode. Its a mode designed by sony for them to use to fix bricked PSPs that got sent back for repairs. They cannot patch/block the Pandora's method from working with firmware updates, it would take a new hardware revision.

Obviously even that wouldn't effect you if you already own a PSP.