PDA

View Full Version : New Psone Emu maybe on the way

JOE2339
September 3rd, 2005, 13:26
As some of you know, LDchen one of the great authors of the great ppc psone emu FPSECE, has been working on a port of his great emu for psp. he had this to say on his officiall web site http://www.pdai.org/forum/showthread.php?t=6602. Just scroll down to the end of the page. With the great job he has done on the ppc, who knows the unlimited possibilities he can do on the psp.

B_man55
September 3rd, 2005, 13:33
I don't get it. This guy made a PSOne emu for PC, now he's making it for PSP? It won't work, garuan-damn-tee it.

JOE2339
September 3rd, 2005, 14:52
It's for pocket pc aka(Ipaq,asus,axim) I tried it on my pocket pc and it runs pretty good.

Cap'n 1time
September 3rd, 2005, 16:49
I don't get it. This guy made a PSOne emu for PC, now he's making it for PSP? It won't work, garuan-damn-tee it.
not only is it for mobile devices with wince, but what you just said is kind of dumb. What do you think is done when emulators are ported to the psp?

Mourningstar
September 3rd, 2005, 21:35
I think its dumb to make a PS1 emu for PSP, honestly. The ISOZ are huge and the loading would take a long time....

SOmeone should just try an N64 emu...smaller roms adn I would think technically easier to do....

xuphorz
September 3rd, 2005, 21:57
n64 philosphy, agree

Sharkey
September 3rd, 2005, 21:57
the images could be scaled down, just like alot of emulated games are.

id like to see the n64 emu also but i have a pretty big library of ps1 games id like to have/use on my psp.

i have a big card so anything under 700 megs will do, and im already playing midnight club 3 with load times up to a minute so load times no bother to me.

B_man55
September 7th, 2005, 23:49
not only is it for mobile devices with wince, but what you just said is kind of dumb. What do you think is done when emulators are ported to the psp?

Uhh dude... So I don't know what "porting/modding/ripping" and all that other stuff is. I'm not a computer nerd, I have other things to worry about. Like life. You don't have to call me dumb because I don't know a secondary skill like computing, such as yourself.. But thanks..

xuphorz
September 7th, 2005, 23:53
nice avator b_man

Cap'n 1time
September 8th, 2005, 02:55
Uhh dude... So I don't know what "porting/modding/ripping" and all that other stuff is. I'm not a computer nerd, I have other things to worry about. Like life. You don't have to call me dumb because I don't know a secondary skill like computing, such as yourself.. But thanks..

i didnt call you dumb, i called what you said dumb, but since im now the computer nerd with the secondary? skill of computing.. im going to call you dumb.

dumb ****. you should know better than to try to start some kind of meaningless battle with me.

Portage - moving from somthing foreign to somthing new. you dont have to be a computer nerd to figure that one out. and what is the base word of that? port. you know? thoes things with boats that move stuff to somewhere else?

and if your implying i dont have a life, well not only DO i have a life, but i know thats not at all what this forum is about. If your trying to join a forum to talk about your life... well... go join the pspupdates forum. we dont need mindless posts with absolutly nothing about anything going on here.

perhapes what i said was a bit harsh, but im not exactly known for my patience am i?

all i want is this. if you dont know your shit ask a question, look it up, or shut up.

xuphorz
September 8th, 2005, 02:58
classic 1timeuser there.
good to have you (seriously, i like those long, harsh scoldings)

laxer3a
September 8th, 2005, 18:08
Ah... 1Time user, I think I will fall in love with you ! go go !!! :P

Well, here is my round for "B_man55".

1/ You treat "TYL" of piece of shit... Dont worry yoyo and I really appreciated it.
2/ You know NOTHING about coding and you admit it...
So if you know nothing... Why do you write sentences like :
[ It won't work, garuan-damn-tee it. ]

So you dont know how to code, but you know what will be the result of the coding ??? Hum... then I would say :
1/ You are the dumbest guy I ever seen on earth.
2/ You are a genious, you have the vision in the ether and I should shut up...

Well, I let people here decide which options I should choose.

Now lets get more constructive and more technical shall we ?
Personnal opinion about a PS emu on a PSP :
1/ Same CPU, same instruction set... (expert on MIPS , correct me here)
2/ PS cpu run at 33 Mhz if I am correct.
3/ PSP and PS graphics chip are close technically (= send a list of GU commands)
4/ Audio chip should be easy to emulate.(PS expert correct me here also)
5/ No special matrix, 3d geometry processing if I remember correctly...

Conclusion :
I believe that if the CPU emulation is written correctly, it would be possible to make a PS emu running at full speed.
(sound on ME, GU translation code taking around 5~10% of PSP CPU time,
remain 300 Mhz to emulate 33 Mhz)

If the CPU emulation is done in C the standard way (= emulate a MIPS over a MIPS), you are going to be slow like hell... Because 33 Mhz is too fast to be emulated on a 333 Mhz machine.

If you use MMU and memory protection mecanism, virtual memory and stuff like this, it may be possible to use CPU exception to do the memory mapping and run most of the code natively. Or you have enough memory on the PSP to store "translated" code and cache it.(and the funny part is that it is as powerfull as a dynarec, without the need for a dynarec :P)

Any develloper opinion here ?

wraggster
September 8th, 2005, 18:53
i think its very possible to have a full speed PSone emu on a PSP and with the cpu being in the same family it makes it easier.

shizzle
September 8th, 2005, 19:09
1timeuser will always be there first

shadow77
September 8th, 2005, 21:57
I think its dumb to make a PS1 emu for PSP, honestly. The ISOZ are huge and the loading would take a long time....

SOmeone should just try an N64 emu...smaller roms adn I would think technically easier to do....

Loading would be super fast.. there wouldn't be any loading times at all really. At the least it'd be much much faster than reading from a PS1 game on CD. ISOs for PSX are big I guess if you don't have a 1GB stick, BUT audio can always be downsampled to make the file size much smaller.

Personally I don't think an N64 emulator would be possible at decent speeds. The thing is N64 emulation for PC isnt even that great yet, PSX emulation is way better. Also, the N64 is more impressive spec wise than PSX, so really I think PSX should be done first.

laxer3a
September 9th, 2005, 05:04
Now if this thing happens, I dont know about Sony's wrath upon the scene !!! :D
Personnally, I will let other people do it. In my case, the Snes emu is enough.

Mourningstar
September 9th, 2005, 05:22
Now if this thing happens, I dont know about Sony's wrath upon the scene !!! :D
Personnally, I will let other people do it. In my case, the Snes emu is enough.
After you guys perfect the SNES emu you will start working on a GBA emu, right? ;)

I hope so. :)

laxer3a
September 9th, 2005, 09:24
Hi...

hum... a GBA emu would be a LOT LOT of work.

The main cpu is at 16.7 Mhz, the graphic chipset has the double of sprite than the Snes.

>> 19.95 Cycle on the main cpu at 333 mhz to emulate each cycle of the GBA for full speed.

And emulating an ARM cpu over a mips architecture is not the best combination. :)

I believe I will let this challenge to somebody else.
If I had to continue to work on an emu after TYL, it is going to help skeezix on the ST emu... But personnally I have some personnal hardware project I want to realize.