PDA

View Full Version : Would people here prefer a PS1 emulator or an N64 emulator?

centroles
September 4th, 2005, 02:18
Now that it appears that the Ps1 emulator rumor turned out to be fake, I thought this might be a worthwhile query for developers that might want to attempt another emulator.

Ps1 emulator PROS

Possibly easier to do, dont know enough to say for sure though.

N64 emulator PROS

N64 roms take up far less space than isos so you can actually fit more than 1 game on a 1 gig memory stick.

Roms usually load much faster than isos

Goldeneye, Perfect Dark (best fps to date imo), Conker, Zelda, Mario, Mario Kart, Smash Bros, Battletanx, Corps, Starfox, and tons of other insanely good games that hold their own against even current generation games

Mourningstar
September 4th, 2005, 02:26
I would prefer an NINTENDO 64 EMULATOR over a ps1.

I have absolutely no interest in a ps1 emu, but would soil my shorts in every way possible for a N64 emu.....

xuphorz
September 4th, 2005, 02:26
n64 all the way

slik da relic
September 4th, 2005, 03:54
32 bit graphics really suck... pop up, fog, pixels, glitches... im glad that era is OVER... PS1, N64, 3DO, SATURN, JAGUAR. R.I.P.!!!!!

there r a few gems however... but those r from dedicated programmers who took time to understand the hardware.

da relic

parabolee
September 4th, 2005, 04:10
Technically N64 was erm 64 bit, hence the name.

I would prefer N64, mainly because the roms would be smaller. But I think N64 is far more difficult then PS1. It is 64bit rather than 32 despite the size of the roms. Hopefully we will be ab;e to crunch the PS1 iso'd to a much smaller size. most didn't fill a CD and we could romove or crunch the movie files too.

Kaiser
September 4th, 2005, 04:57
Playstation. Simply put it has the better games.

omniosiris
September 4th, 2005, 05:51
I much prefered playstation as a system....but if I had to chose I think i'd pick an N64 emu...mainly because of the rom size

Agent of Venyt
September 4th, 2005, 06:14
Very hard to say.

Both systems have great games, no question. One one hand, you've got your Ocarina of Time and Goldeneye; on the other Final Fantasy VII and Chrono Cross. The PS1 is somewhat baised towards RPGs, but I happen to like those anyway.

If I had to choose I'd pick the N64, if only because of ROM size. But really, I want both!

Mourningstar
September 4th, 2005, 06:36
PSPj64! ;)

F34R
September 4th, 2005, 09:59
There wont be a N64 emu on the PSP. Not one that is playable anyways.

yah_mon
September 4th, 2005, 11:05
PS1 would be great! I would like to play Grandia (One of the only RPG genres I ever played!) crash bandicoot, spyro the dragon, CTR, kingslys adventure etc.

But, there is no way that these are going to be emulated at a decent framerate. Unless someone knew how they could use the psp processor "in place" of a PS1 processor. Quite farfetched but I really dont know.

slik da relic
September 4th, 2005, 15:42
Technically N64 was erm 64 bit, hence the name.

32 bit, 64 bit... its all the same graphic difficiencies... Mario 64 wowed me when i 1st seen it... so did Wipeout, and Toshinden. but after i got Dreamcast, most of those games look disgusting now. Syphon Filter comes to mind. still a great game, it just hurts ur eyes.

da relic

centroles
September 4th, 2005, 17:52
at the dorms, we still break out the n64 and play a few rounds of perfect dark every few days. i sometimes play zelda, conker and starfox as well.

and this is on a 180 inch projector. i guess most people aren't as obsessed with graphics as you.

the games are freaking sweet, and the graphics are hardly bad on the n64.

aruka57
September 4th, 2005, 18:08
PS1

Symphony of the Night is enough to say, i think

Tomppa
September 4th, 2005, 18:56
PSone: Final Fantasy, GT, Tekken, ah.

N64: Erm, all games that I liked died already after I played them on PC to the limit where it gets boring..

parabolee
September 4th, 2005, 19:28
Well I think the N64 graphics are pretty nice, a lot nicer than PS1 anyway. Especially when emulated and that blurry effect is removed, Perfect Dark is still probably the best 1st person shooter in multiplayer. Better than Halo 2 in my mind. Can't wait for PDZ on XB360.

I would prefer N64 mainly because I have already finished all the Ps1 games that are great to death. But I agree that the N64 emulator is highly unlikely to play at anywhere near decent speeds, unfortunatly :(

I would gladly play through both N64 Zelda's again. But the Perfect Dark control system on the XBOX pad sucked so I imagine the controls on the PSP would make it unplayable even if we could get it playing.

slik da relic
September 4th, 2005, 19:38
i guess most people aren't as obsessed with graphics as you. the games are freaking sweet, and the graphics are hardly bad on the n64.
im far from obsessed with graphics, im an "Out of this World" kinda guy. but some games were just terrible. the one thing i hated were the games that had enemies and items appear when ur right upon them (pop up) and enemies that shot at u, but they werent on ur screen bcuz u were not close enuff for them to appear. N64 did correct some of this (fog), but it was still annoying. i would get some of those games, the 2.5D games were obviousy the best games on ps1.

shizzle
September 4th, 2005, 19:39
ps1 definatly

Wysiwyg
September 4th, 2005, 21:26
Well both would be cool (Hmmm... thinks of MGS :rolleyes: ) But I would have to go with an N64 emu.

Please make one!:cool:

sarla1596
September 5th, 2005, 02:04
cmon people....Golgeneye.....def the 64 just for that game

SaRlA

Mourningstar
September 5th, 2005, 05:42
Why does everyone say that the N64 would be hard to emulate?

slik da relic
September 5th, 2005, 07:46
cmon people....Golgeneye.....def the 64 just for that game

SaRlA

Golgeneye??? is that a cross between Goldeneye and Golgo 13??? I GOTTA HAVE THAT!!! lol

da relic

F34R
September 5th, 2005, 14:32
Why does everyone say that the N64 would be hard to emulate?

Well, Lantus, who created the N64 emu for the xbox, said it wouldnt be possible to make a playable n64 emu for the psp. I believe he has a better handle on what type of requirements you have to have to get a working n64 emu playable.

Cap'n 1time
September 5th, 2005, 15:42
Well, Lantus, who created the N64 emu for the xbox, said it wouldnt be possible to make a playable n64 emu for the psp. I believe he has a better handle on what type of requirements you have to have to get a working n64 emu playable.

I didnt think he ported a n64 emu to xbox. you might be confused with U64 which is a Killer Instinct Arcade emulator.

JOE2339
September 5th, 2005, 23:42
If the xbox, which has twice the power of the psp(with a pethium 3 processor) has a hard time getting most n64 games to play great, imagine the psp. Possible yes, playable hell no. The ps1 on the other hand can be more playable because the ps1 was only like 32 mhz, compare to the psp's 333.

Cap'n 1time
September 6th, 2005, 01:04
If the xbox, which has twice the power of the psp(with a pethium 3 processor) has a hard time getting most n64 games to play great, imagine the psp. Possible yes, playable hell no. The ps1 on the other hand can be more playable because the ps1 was only like 32 mhz, compare to the psp's 333.

no, no. NO! the xbox had a celeron 700 MHZ processor. The psp runs on a totally differant from your average x86 processor (MIPS) so IT SHOULD NOT be compared to such. The xbox dosnt really have too tough of a time with n64 emulation... but the reason more likely is due to LACK OF RAM, not processing power.

While the PSone had a 33.8 mhz MIPS processor, the N64 had a much more powerfull 93.5 mhz MIPS processor... but also the N64's processor was customized by nintendo. what does that mean in terms of emulation? ask a pro. the processor is but one thing to concider about the two machines.

BUT DONT MAKE DUMB SPECULATIONS ABOUT IT! If you dont know, dont bother trying to prove somthing.... look it up.

*o*
September 6th, 2005, 08:30
n64...theres no comparison between the 2 n64 beats it hands down

centroles
September 6th, 2005, 19:34
so you're saying the psp's processor is fast enough, but the ram might be the bottleneck.

the xbox has 64 mb of ram, the psp has 32, the n64 i believe had 4?, the expansion pak added 4, not sure what the core system had.

i really dont know how emultation works. is ram just used for buffering the image and stuff. the psp is a much smaller screen, you can probably compress the n64's image and still have it look great. also, maybe devs will be able to some memory on a pro duo memory card to buffer the image perhaps. not sure actually.

also the xbox's n64 emulator never used the xbox's graphics card. maybe psp devs will be able to figure out a way to have the psp's graphics card do some of the work too.

it'll be very difficult, but i'm not sure it's impossible. whoever pulls it off would be like the greatest developer ever though.

Cap'n 1time
September 6th, 2005, 20:12
so you're saying the psp's processor is fast enough, but the ram might be the bottleneck.

the xbox has 64 mb of ram, the psp has 32, the n64 i believe had 4?, the expansion pak added 4, not sure what the core system had.

i really dont know how emultation works. is ram just used for buffering the image and stuff. the psp is a much smaller screen, you can probably compress the n64's image and still have it look great. also, maybe devs will be able to some memory on a pro duo memory card to buffer the image perhaps. not sure actually.

also the xbox's n64 emulator never used the xbox's graphics card. maybe psp devs will be able to figure out a way to have the psp's graphics card do some of the work too.

it'll be very difficult, but i'm not sure it's impossible. whoever pulls it off would be like the greatest developer ever though.

The xbox certainly did take advantage of the 3d acceleration while it emulated the graphics... there are software plugins, but no one really needs to use them.

Im not sure if you just ment rendering everything smaller or not, but also-
You can indeed compress n64 textures, but getting them to run on the emulator would require even more power (its done via some plugin).

shizzle
September 6th, 2005, 20:27
owange

bill00000
September 6th, 2005, 20:28
Psone would be better. I think everyone here is looking at the n64 with rose coloured glasses. It only had a handful of good games. I can think of many PS1 games I would love to play on the handheld.

- Resident evil series
- Ridge racer series
- Silent Hill
- Marvel Vs. Capcom
- Crash Team Racing
- Tenchu
- GTA 1&2
- Final Fantasy I-IX! (I through V have remakes for PS1)
- Thrill Kill
- Megaman Legends 1&2 (Unless they are coming to North america someday on PSP)
- Grandia

And that's just some of my favourites.

Mourningstar
September 6th, 2005, 20:55
No, Im not looking at N64 with rose colored glasses....PS1 just sucks ass.

The only GREAT games that you could only play pn PS1 were Resident Evil....and RE2 is on N64 also.

Personally the reason I want an N64 emu is because of all the great FPS games....

Turok 1, 2, 3 & Rage Wars

Perfect Dark

GoldenEye

Quake 1, 2

Doom 64

Duke Nukem 64

Hexen

The Worls is not Enough

Etc......

BaconButty
September 6th, 2005, 21:02
Wow, talk about your rose coloured glasses. I'm going to give you GoldenEye and Perfect Dark but you should take the other back before you embarass yourself.

Personally, however, I'd also love an N64 emulator but I'd say that the PSP has more of a chance getting the early PS1 games to handle well. The N64 control was quite unique and I'm just not convinced the PSP would do it justice. Early PS1 games though, like Wipeout, it could do a treat.

shizzle
September 6th, 2005, 21:57
ps1, suck ass, hand me yonder shotgun. doom, quake, duke. All on ps1.
Dont forget timeless ps1 classics, disruptor gta and exhummed.

Wip3out.
Tehnchu <--- w00t!!!!
crash and spyro.
orginal medal of honour
Alien trilogy.
You n64 bastards should be hanged.

Mourningstar
September 6th, 2005, 23:45
Wow, talk about your rose coloured glasses. I'm going to give you GoldenEye and Perfect Dark but you should take the other back before you embarass yourself.

Personally, however, I'd also love an N64 emulator but I'd say that the PSP has more of a chance getting the early PS1 games to handle well. The N64 control was quite unique and I'm just not convinced the PSP would do it justice. Early PS1 games though, like Wipeout, it could do a treat.

All the Turoks, especially 1, and Doom64 were great...

Id also like to have it for...

Ocarina of Time
Majoras Mask
Blast Corps
Jet Force Gemini
All the Star Wars
Super Smash Bros
Mario 64
Mortal Kombat Trilogy

Dont get me wrong, Id be more than happy with an PS1 emu, but I would PREFER a N64 emu. ;)

shizzle
September 7th, 2005, 07:24
mortal kombat trillogy rocked the ps1.
How could i forget the tekken seires and souldedge/blade

Cirus
September 7th, 2005, 16:40
:rolleyes: I'd say n64 due to the fact can fit a good few roms on ya memory and not havin to transfering ps1 games back n 4th. only game i wud bother with on psone wud be FF7.

Mr.Modem
September 7th, 2005, 16:48
I welcome all emulators, both systems would be nice to play on my PSP. N64 had the two great Zelda games but Playstation had the Final Fantasy series. I think the systems is equal, both in graphics and gameplay.

Mourningstar
September 7th, 2005, 20:58
mortal kombat trillogy rocked the ps1.
How could i forget the tekken seires and souldedge/blade
I could live with MKT for PS1, but how would the loading be?

Thats one reason I dont want a PS1 emu....how would the loading be handled?

Cap'n 1time
September 7th, 2005, 21:11
I dont see why you all are rambling about loading times... psone data, as it comes from an image on in ram or on the ms, isnt streaming from a CDrom drive... and n64 would have to go through a heavier loading process in the pregame loading, whilst PSone will stream data from the ms... so they both are going to have loading times in one fashion of another. I dont even know what this thread is about... its kind of pointless.

Would you rather have a washing machine or a dishwasher added on to your 12 inch TV?

Mourningstar
September 7th, 2005, 21:48
I dont see why you all are rambling about loading times... psone data, as it comes from an image on in ram or on the ms, isnt streaming from a CDrom drive... and n64 would have to go through a heavier loading process in the pregame loading, whilst PSone will stream data from the ms... so they both are going to have loading times in one fashion of another. I dont even know what this thread is about... its kind of pointless.

Would you rather have a washing machine or a dishwasher added on to your 12 inch TV?

Thanks for explaining the loading time a little bit.

And Id prefer a dishwasher! ;)

qaopjlll
September 8th, 2005, 06:40
Even though the PSX had a vastly superior game selection, I would rather see a N64 emulator simply due to the fact that you could fit 40-50 games an a 1 gig memory stick at a time, whereas with the PSX you'd be lucky to get more than 2 games to fit at once. Unless there is a breakthrough that allows the PSP to read from a USB harddrive, N64 emulation is simply more practical for this reason.

Cap'n 1time
September 8th, 2005, 20:21
Even though the PSX had a vastly superior game selection, I would rather see a N64 emulator simply due to the fact that you could fit 40-50 games an a 1 gig memory stick at a time, whereas with the PSX you'd be lucky to get more than 2 games to fit at once. Unless there is a breakthrough that allows the PSP to read from a USB harddrive, N64 emulation is simply more practical for this reason.

well thats an interesting point that brings up some moral questions (yeah, thoes things no one really ever worries about but often seem to get asked in forums).

The internet is not only evolving as the information super highway, but also as the digital black market. You are more likely to find people ripping their own PSone images for an emulator than you are to have people making backups of N64 roms. In other words.. people that already obsess over Final Fantasy VII, isnt it safe to say that you already own the disks yourselves? then your more likely to rip it and put it on a MS than downloading it through the internet correct?

This makes very little differance in the porting or creation process of the emulator.. in fact, i forgot what my point was... carry on!

o2byzst
September 11th, 2005, 00:56
I'm torn cause I'd want the PS1 emu so I could finally play Castlevania SOTN. However, I'd download and test any N64 emu so I could play Zelda & Perfect Dark...but I've never even seen a rom site for either emu so it doesn't really matter for me. I wouldn't even know how to GET a rom from something like that...so it don't really matter. Besides, I doubt we will ever seen one...

o2byzst
September 11th, 2005, 01:00
1Time, that's a good point about ripping the game yourself. Although, I have a TON of my old N64 games that I own LEGALLY. Of course, I could say the same about my PS1 games too but I don't think I would actually TRUST any content of that type found on the internet. Besides...morals...that left this site a LONG TIME AGO!

Cap'n 1time
September 11th, 2005, 02:10
what many people dont know.. even though its posted all over the place on the internet... is that just because you actaully own the game you have a rom equivallent of DOES NOT mean its legal. It must be YOUR OWN game that you copied YOURSELF. So unless you actaully own a copier... it is unlikely that the N64 roms you have on your hardrive are legal.

o2byzst
September 11th, 2005, 07:47
Yeah I hear you 1time...but I don't own a copier nor do I have ANY n64 roms on my harddrive. For those that do though...that's probably killer info to know. For me, I wouldn't even know how to copy the rom itself let alone have the hardware/software to do it. I'd imagine it's probably pretty costly though. Still, even IF emulating either of the two systems was possible (on the PSP that is) it's not gonna happen anytime soon. It's dream that we can have but that's just it - a dream. Moving on...

Kaiser
September 11th, 2005, 20:35
Well I've always thought that once a game reaches a certain age I could justify my illegal copies of the game. I mean who can find an original copy of Zelda that doesn't have a dead battery pack?

Besides...morals...that left this site a LONG TIME AGO!

Explain this please. You understand that this site has nothing illegal on it. Any discussion of it is locked. Sure most people here intend to do something illegal with our legal emulators but that is our own problem outside the sites influence.

Cap'n 1time
September 11th, 2005, 20:42
I missed that part of o2byzst's responce or i would have said that you obviously havnt been around long enough... this is one of the few forums that takes pride in not acting like snobby warezy bastards.

o2byzst
September 12th, 2005, 03:05
Sorry Kaiser & 1Time...didn't mean that to sound the way it did. The emulators are used 90% with bad/non-moral intentions in mind. However, I agree with Kaiser in that some of these games just DON'T work anymore. The battery pack issue with the old NES titles is a definite reason why people use the emulators in the "not exactly" moral sense. I didn't mean that the individuals on this board were in any way NOT MORAL. I would say in fact that most of the people on this board are pretty cool. There have however been a few who weren't exactly kind in how they spoke.

I apologize though for the misunderstanding...this board does indeed have morals.

Mourningstar
September 12th, 2005, 05:38
N64! N64! N64! N64!

A Nintendo 64 Emulator dang it! ;)

pibs
September 18th, 2006, 02:32
couldn't the psx emu just run the iso's while they are still in zip format, kinda like the mame emu's do.

psx had waay better games than n64 especially since n64 games where mainly advertised as kid games.

IndianCheese
September 18th, 2006, 04:54
If you said N64, you should not have a PSP.

Sterist
September 18th, 2006, 05:13
64, hands down.

Video_freak
September 18th, 2006, 05:13
Why not IndianCheese? :cool:

BL4Z3D247
September 18th, 2006, 05:19
Playstation. Simply put it has the better games.
Vidoe_freak ^ that's why :D and i couldn't agree more

quzar
September 18th, 2006, 05:52
pibster, bumping old topics is frowned upon. c'mon what were ya thinking, this topic was a year old...