PDA

View Full Version : imbNES 1.3.2 source code released

JKKDARK
April 4th, 2008, 12:12
imbNES (http://imbnes.gamebase.ca/) is a NES emulator for PlayStation and PlayStation 2.

Information:

imbNES is now open source! That's the good news. The bad news is that due to time constraints, I personally won't be able to work on it anymore. I hope that someone out there has the desire to take this project and do something interesting with it. Especially if you're a programmer who is interested in working in the video game industry some day, the knowledge that you'll pick up working on an NES emulator that runs on the PSX will be extremely useful even today in terms of understanding how this stuff all works.

If anyone is looking for ideas on where to get started, I could suggest a couple. First, the CD reading code could use a bit of error checking and retry logic. It's pretty dumb right now and it causes imbNES to freeze at the intro screen on some people's consoles with old lasers or poor quality CDR media. Also, the CPU and the GPU on the PSX could be made to run a little more asynchronously than they currently are. That should do a lot to get those games that just barely miss a solid 60fps up to speed. Of course, there's always more mappers to add, bugs to fix, and code to refactor.

Thank you to everyone who has used imbNES over the years. It was a lot of fun developing it and I can't wait to see version 1.4!