PDA

View Full Version : Homebrew Dangerous?

YourStillWithMe
September 6th, 2005, 02:28
I have heard that running Homebrew applications though the psp can be bad for your memory stick. . .is this true? I mean other than that there homemade programs and may cause it to screw up but lets say the applications works very smoothly such as NESTERJ or the LUA player. Even if all runs well can this still cause your memory card to die out or eventually lead it to becoming corrupt? Also lets say that i leave a good 4 MB free on a 1GB stick . . Should I leave more space open on the stick and treat it as it was a pc hard drive? Please comment on what you guys do in terms of space left on your memory stick.

One time i elft it so there was 100KB left. On an average i left it with 20-30 MB remaining on the stick. Also I think that having SNES games on there was a mistake well at least the amount i had i had about 70

xuphorz
September 6th, 2005, 02:40
i've had my mem stick have 7kb free before, still ran just fine

as for the other they are just rumors. that is my believe

*o*
September 6th, 2005, 08:35
they can get corrupted from what i hear

PSP_Newbie
September 6th, 2005, 08:43
the only problem it could lead to is if you put your psp to sleep with some programs, it can try to access the memory stick while psp is asleep and might make your mem stick die. other than that, if you avoid putting it into sleep mode while playing homebrew you should be fine
as for the low space, its fine to keep any amount of space on the mem stick, even if its practically full
however, you should probably keep a bit of space open (a mb should be plenty) if you use a bunch of games on emulators that need save games, especially if you use state saves as those require more memory

B_man55
September 7th, 2005, 23:38
You can have your MS completley full because it is not an internal hard drive. It merely "clip-into" your PSP and will not make it run any slower being full or anything like that. As for the dangerous homebrew, I'd believe that some of these programmers have programs in there that f*ck with your PSP and MS. I wouldn't doubt it. And don't going saying stuff like, "Oh, well, someone would've posted it on this site if it hurt their PSP." How does that person not know that the programmer of their homebrew doesn't have a "bomb" to go off, say, 1 year after having it on your MS. I mean, come on people, if shit like this happens on a PC, it can sure as Hell happen on your PSP.

xuphorz
September 7th, 2005, 23:48
@ *o* - right, forgot that. it's just best to not use sleep mode at all with homebrew

@b_man - yes, it could happen on psp, but these don't have viruses, spyware, worms or anything. so the chances are far lower.

also @b_man - what's it like in canada?

therod
September 10th, 2005, 04:02
It's best to not use your 1gb stick at all as it will eventually EAT YOU.

Jesus, where are all these tards picking up this twisted terminology?

o2byzst
September 11th, 2005, 00:49
"eventually EAT YOU"...are you crazy? I've been using my 1gb for almost 6 months now with no problems what so ever running GB/GBC, NES, SNES & Genesis emulators...game saves...ALL with no problems. Have you actually HAD problems with your 1gb?

xuphorz
September 11th, 2005, 01:05
therod, wtf?
i have a 2gb memory stick and it hasn't done anything wrong.