PDA

View Full Version : So... What can't the PSP slim do, homebrew wise VS the fat?

punkonjunk
April 8th, 2008, 23:18
Yeah, title. I'm prolly picking one up today, but the emulation aspect, and homebrew in general is pretty important.

mike_jmg
April 9th, 2008, 05:37
You need to use Time Machine to run Homebrew that only works on 1.50 kernel, wich for me it's too much hassle

Almost every Homebrew I use has been ported to 3.XX kernel, I will only miss a little speed on snes9xtyl cause ME version can only run on 1.50, and I'm not doing all the time machine hassle just to play snes

jamotto
April 9th, 2008, 12:17
I will only miss a little speed on snes9xtyl cause ME version can only run on 1.50, and I'm not doing all the time machine hassle just to play snes

It seems as though a slim version of snes9xtyl ME is out too done by Chilly Willy and CaptShoe

http://dl.qj.net/Snes9xTYL-0.4.2-ME-for-PSP-Slim-PSP-Emulators/pg/12/fid/14889/catid/135

dangee
April 9th, 2008, 16:37
slim ain't got the IRDA port.
That means no IR keyboard support or remote control homebrew.

MicroNut
April 9th, 2008, 17:12
What makes 1.50 so special?

Prior to 3.71M33 all CFW and Homebrew ran using parts of the 1.50 core firmware.

In the past you would have to run an "oeupdmaker" that would take parts of the 150.pbp and official Update you where flashing
and combine them into the custom firmware update that would be flashed to the PSP.
The name of that file was called DATA.DXAR

When the PSP SLIM was released
It was soon discovered that 1.50 firmware did not run on SLIM psp's.
DA had to redesign his CFW to work without using parts of the 1.50 core.
This also meant that all homebrew that used the 1.50 core would no longer work.
For backward homebrew compatibility reasons he created the 1.50 plug-in for PHAT PSP's
Homebrew for SLIM's must be re-written and or recompiled without using calls to the 1.50 firmware.
This is what makes Time Machine for the Slim so cool.
Time machine is a Pandora memory stick mod that allows any PSP to boot almost firmware from the memory stick

Dark Alex has refined the updates from 3.71 on
The result is that whole update processes is now much more stable and reliable.
Even allowing for the return to original firmware from within a custom firmware.
Prior to 3.71 you would have to revert back to the original 1.5 firmware if you wanted to flash back to official firmware.

The changes since 3.71 do put a little more pressure on DA to support POPS and 150 add-on's for Phat PSP's.

punkonjunk
April 9th, 2008, 20:45
I never used the 150 addon with my phat PSP, so everything I have should continue to work, huh?

No_one_in_particular
April 9th, 2008, 21:34
Depends what firmware you were using for your phat^ If say, you were on 3.71M33 onwards, yes everything should work. But if you were on 3.52M33, that comes with the 1.5 kernal inbuilt.

mike_jmg
April 10th, 2008, 01:17
It seems as though a slim version of snes9xtyl ME is out too done by Chilly Willy and CaptShoe

http://dl.qj.net/Snes9xTYL-0.4.2-ME-for-PSP-Slim-PSP-Emulators/pg/12/fid/14889/catid/135

sorry, I had no Idea this existed, thank you
This will come in handy when I receive my GOW psp muhuhahahhah!

MicroNut
April 10th, 2008, 02:58
Yes, snes9xtyl4.2 ME is really good.
I switched to it as soon as I found it and it works great.

Here is some other Slim home brew compatibility information:
List of various resources for Slim emulation (http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=2148021992&postcount=4)

PSP Slim Homebrew COMPATABILITY List (http://www.pspslimhomebrew.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=5)

Baboon
April 10th, 2008, 19:43
"So... What can't the PSP slim do, homebrew wise VS the fat?"

Well the slim has no IR (because Sony removed it) so apps like irshell, Pikey (the homebrew ir keyboard), PicoozIR etc don't work.

staticshade
April 18th, 2008, 02:37
a better idea for a thread would be a homebrew games(That support the psp slim) where anyone can post games or apps that work on the slim

i really hope some games like animayhem get slim support soon

LJRivera
May 7th, 2008, 19:27
I have both, just recently sold my GP2X f100 for a PSP Slim and I am not impressed. I only wanted it for skype and since I have *ALL* my homebrew running mainly on my fat, I wanted to know if there is any homebrew a slim can run that a fat can not? Besides the obvious like usb charger prx and such...

Gredler
May 9th, 2008, 23:26
Ok, so I have a 1.5 fat psp, and I am very interested in playing ps1 games on a psp as well as some of the new games.

If I got a psp slim could I get new games like GOW or FFT:WOL to run on the same firmware that would run ps1 games?

cheater99
May 10th, 2008, 08:14
I have a slim and i think its fine. As for those people saying timemachine is a hassle well i dont think so. I have it and it proves useful to me, all you need is to get a pandora or tool battery and spare some space on your mem stick and you can boot into a 1.50 enviroment. Also, if you have 3.90m33 then you can boot from nand (meaming the battery can serve as a normal battery)

Just my thoughts,

Angus