PDA

View Full Version : How close are we to hacking the PS3?

xangma
April 9th, 2008, 11:36
New user I am =) Just got a PS3, used to have a PSP and that was a thriving homebrew scene. Not much going on with the PS3 then?

TFrenchy
June 3rd, 2008, 19:29
http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=85206

Nope, so far nothing as far as firmware and such goes. Theres alot of basic stuff but nothing major.

masterchief929
June 3rd, 2008, 20:54
the ps3 would have nice homebrew.

Triv1um
June 3rd, 2008, 23:32
I cant see it ever happening.

halo3wkwyl
June 24th, 2008, 00:43
Why not, there's gotta be a hack or some sorta game exploit that'll open some doors and once one is opened more are left to follow ... but for now lets just play some flash games :P

alirazaq
July 18th, 2008, 06:56
I cant see it ever happening.

Thats what they said about the PSP

porchemasi
August 5th, 2008, 19:33
it hasnt happened yet . its been 2 years ..... everyday that goes by makes an exploit slim, especially with updates so frequently ...

id personally donat $20 to DAX or Fanjita to buy him a ps3 and to start working there magic

Nicko01
September 23rd, 2008, 02:10
I doubt anything major will happen any time soon. There hasn't been much progress, at least what has been reported to the public. There may be hackers working quietly in the background though, you never know.

zjazzmanz
October 12th, 2008, 15:52
I think it's important to consider the economics of hacking the ps3 from the hackers POV. The mod chip manufacturers don't see this as cost effective yet because....

A. The price of bd-rw are still pretty high. this extremely limits the number of people who could even use a hack.

B. bd-rw disk are still > $12. Think about every time you screwed up a write, now if it cost you about $12 for every single f-up, you might as well buy the original and save the time and pain.

C. and as bad as I hate to say it, their efforts (as far as making money ) would probably be better spent working on the 360 considering more people own a 360, giving you a larger customer base to sale to.

Don't get me wrong, I want a hack as bad as the next guy. And I think my ps3 is the greatest console on the market. But were going to have to wait this out a while longer til someone decides they can make some real money selling this stuff.

In the mean time, maybe someone who does it just for the love of hacking will do something. You can never tell if we could be so lucky, ;)

Eviltaco64
October 12th, 2008, 16:00
It's usually the less-popular consoles that have a popular homebrew scene.

Dreamcast, Xbox, PSP, Gamecube, with Wii being an exception.

And you don't need BD-RWs for homebrew.. I'm sure that everyone could boot everything they need off the PS3s hard drive (and you can upgrade that HDD to 500GB/1TB, so you're never going to run out of space :P).

downloaddownload
November 24th, 2008, 01:16
I do have a spare PS3 I could donate to Dark Alex. But would he work on it or just take advantage of a free PS3... cant trust anyone

Draco
March 28th, 2009, 04:08
It's usually the less-popular consoles that have a popular homebrew scene.

Dreamcast, Xbox, PSP, Gamecube, with Wii being an exception.

And you don't need BD-RWs for homebrew.. I'm sure that everyone could boot everything they need off the PS3s hard drive (and you can upgrade that HDD to 500GB/1TB, so you're never going to run out of space :P).

What about the PS1 and PS2, huge homebrew scene too, and I don't think those qualify as less popular.

with the exception of PS3 which other devices have not been modded for homebrew? Saturn? 3DO? I think Sony did something right with their hardware... unfortunately for me. I would really like some accelerated graphics in linux :( and the ability to copy my games from disk to the hard drive would be sweet too... a la HD-Loader.

Eviltaco64
March 28th, 2009, 16:29
What about the PS1 and PS2, huge homebrew scene too, and I don't think those qualify as less popular.

with the exception of PS3 which other devices have not been modded for homebrew? Saturn? 3DO? I think Sony did something right with their hardware... unfortunately for me. I would really like some accelerated graphics in linux :( and the ability to copy my games from disk to the hard drive would be sweet too... a la HD-Loader.

The PS1 and PS2 have both experienced a big homebrew scene... But not one as big as consoles like the Dreamcast, Xbox, Gamecube, and PSP have. That's all I was trying to say.

The Saturn has most definitely been hacked. You can buy a Saturn modchip, burn the homebrew of your choice to a disc, and play it on your Saturn.

The 3DO never had anything like copy protection or region lock, and I believe there is a small Russian 3DO homebrew community. It's open for homebrew, and any day now someone could release something for it that gets a lot of attention and starts a 3DO scene. It did happen for 32X! :)

Oh, and don't bump threads that are nearly one year old. ;)

nuttydave127
August 20th, 2009, 09:43
i think give it a year or 2 and ps3 will be hacked pretty good

Eviltaco64
August 20th, 2009, 10:24
Please don't bump old-timey threads.

Locked!