PDA

View Full Version : A few Questions from a XBox nOOb

silverbullet767
October 20th, 2004, 06:51
Hi, a few questions....
1. What is the best controller? as Ive heard the XBox official original one is a bit of a chunky monkey...
2. How much is the subscription to Xbox live and how much is the network access disk?
3. How much would I be able to pick up Halo and PGR2 for second hand?
4. What are the best Online games for the XBox?
5. How big is the HDD, and is there a memory card for transferring saves to another console??

Darksaviour69
October 20th, 2004, 07:34
what country?

is there a memory card for transferring saves to another console
yes

the new smaller s-pad is the best (offical version)

silverbullet767
October 20th, 2004, 08:05
The UK

Darksaviour69
October 20th, 2004, 08:09
u can get halo for less than £20

silverbullet767
October 20th, 2004, 09:47
How much does it cost to get online, I already go online with the PS2, so i dont need any additional equipment, is it similar, what i mean is, can you ise ICS (1.1Mb Broadband) with a crossover cable the same way? And how much is the subscription??

Darksaviour69
October 20th, 2004, 10:11
i don't have live, but i think its £60....go to xbox uk webpage to find out

silverbullet767
October 20th, 2004, 10:12
Ok thanks for your help

Cereal
October 20th, 2004, 12:24
Hi, a few questions....
1. What is the best controller? as Ive heard the XBox official original one is a bit of a chunky monkey...
The offical S controllers are fairly nice. A PS2 controller an adapter works fine too. The offical controller is about $30 and the PS2 and adapter is about $40.

2. How much is the subscription to Xbox live and how much is the network access disk? You can buy them in packages that give you a year for free and these packages cost $50. Each month is $20 after that. Its cheaper to go buy another disk and trade xbox with you friend who's never gonna get a live subscription ^^

3. How much would I be able to pick up Halo and PGR2 for second hand? Halo is $30 new and only about $20. PGR2 is like $39 now :(

4. What are the best Online games for the XBox? Wait there's good online xbox games? I dont know any.

5. How big is the HDD, and is there a memory card for transferring saves to another console??
8GB and yes they do allow you to transfer data.

Hawq
October 20th, 2004, 12:43
Unless he gets lucky & gets one with the 10gig hd (if theyre still done). Be aware some saves like stuff for ninja gaiden & doa wont transfer to other xbox's, they are a minority though & you can dl stuff to make em work anyway

silverbullet767
October 20th, 2004, 13:16
Brilliant, and can you connect to XBox live the same way as my PS2?? Intenet connection sharing????

Cap'n 1time
October 21st, 2004, 16:05
There is networking for games like halo. You can get online free through tunneling with that. i dont really suggest xbox live... unless you want to pay extra for PSO (phantasy star online). Halo 2 will be live and that should be good! The only reason to buy an xbox in my oppinion is Halo, Halo 2, and hacking it. I just wish some one would create a legal dashboard replacement.

silverbullet767
October 22nd, 2004, 10:03
What, dont you need to pay an Xbox Live! subscription. How can you get online for free with Xbox? and what the hell's a dashboard replacement? i suppose were not talking cars?!!!

Cap'n 1time
October 22nd, 2004, 17:01
A dashboard replacment is a hack that changes what program loads when the xbox starts up. basicly you just change c:\dashboard.xbe to another file [IF YOU HAVE A CHIP!] otherwise you have to replace the xboxlive program with the dash and go through alot of crap to get it to boot instead of dashboard.xbe - your probably not following this.

A dashboard replacment just lets you load stuff. EvoX is an example. EvoX is a very populare, but overrated dashboard replacment. http://www.evolutionx.info/

The problem with dashboard replacments is that all of them are currently illegal due to them useing the XDK or the xbox development kit. Open XDK is a collection of tools that are used to create legall xbox programs but currently nothing worthy of replacing my dash has been created with Open XDK.

silverbullet767
October 23rd, 2004, 12:46
I'll think I'll keep mine legal, well until the years warranty runs out anyway!
It's all very confusing!?!

Cap'n 1time
October 23rd, 2004, 13:17
I'll think I'll keep mine legal, well until the years warranty runs out anyway!
It's all very confusing!?!

If you can keep it clean, a softmod (hacked box without a chip) is nearly impossible to notice to the untrained.

Eric
October 23rd, 2004, 19:57
I have a softmod its actually pretty good right now and i also bought Halo give me some info on the tunneling thing and i know this is really stupid if this tunneling thing works what about Dial Up cause my parents arent getting highspeed

Cap'n 1time
October 23rd, 2004, 21:54
I think i have read its possible to tunnel with dialup... but its laggy enough on high speed :( so you might just have to live without it. Basicly its just a program that makes your xbox connect through the internet through its LAN option.. a couple of clients exist. some one else can probably give you a link to a few. I cant really think of any. but there is one called XBConnect and Gamespy provides one. Another one exists thats very very populare and actually supports gamecube and ps2 tunneling also. cant think of its name right now.