PDA

View Full Version : Dreamcast XG VGA Box

1magus
April 15th, 2008, 06:52
I don't know much about my box only that its made by XG thats all it says on the box, anyway I just noticed some games will either not support my TV or will give me an Dreamcast error stating that the game does not support my AV Cable.

Is this because my VGA box sucks? Or do not P Scan games not support the box?

fackue
April 15th, 2008, 07:06
It probably just doesn't support it correctly. Boot discs like DC-X I hear can force games that require any non-VGA cable to boot. Maybe even Utopia works in these type of situations? Worth a shot.

1magus
April 15th, 2008, 07:30
Well I the Utopia ones don't work with it but I was trying Ecco the Dolphin and I know that is VGA.

fackue
April 15th, 2008, 08:15
DC-X should work then. Are you sure Utopia boots into VGA mode? Make sure you get the 1.2 copy as that has VGA support enabled by default.

Or if you have the 1.1 release download IP.BIN Writer, open the CDI with it, check VGA box on the bottom left and save it.

Then it will boot in VGA mode once burned, of course.

1magus
April 15th, 2008, 18:27
I only have 1.3 and 1.1 do you know where I can find 1.2?

fackue
April 16th, 2008, 01:29
No idea. I'm sure you can find it via google.

Christuserloeser
April 17th, 2008, 00:40
Regarding the problems you have with your XG brand VGA box: What games exactly are you having problems with ? Most should work perfectly, but there are a few known not to work with VGA. Most games can be forced to work in VGA however.

Or do not P Scan games not support the box?

Progressive Scan is just a way to output the image, so in theory all games do support it as it is a capability of the Dreamcast to output Progressive Scan, and has nothing to do with software. Games that do not work with the VGA box are mostly US and EU PAL games, and in 90% of the cases the Japanese versions of these games do work perfectly with the VGA box. It's basically just a switch that some programmer forgot to enable, I assume.

One example that comes to mind would be the EU PAL version of Skies of Arcadia which does not support VGA, while the US and JP releases do.

Like fackue mentioned, the DC-X is a fine product that works great with enabling VGA or RGB output for games that do not support it. Here's a pack shot:

http://www.wolfsoft.de/shop/images/product_images/popup_images/8568_b.jpg