PDA

View Full Version : Lua capability?

that1guywiththeface
April 17th, 2008, 22:21
Okay, I need to know exactly what the Lua can do on psp before I start to learn to program with it. I want to know if it can run a game similar to the flash game "mario world overrun," but the base would be on the right-hand border of the screen and there would be zombies.

I'm not asking someone to help me do it, but I would like to know if that is feasible. If it is, than I would begin learning Lua ASAP.

Thank you in advance for replies.

-Xandu-
April 17th, 2008, 22:30
It is possible.

that1guywiththeface
April 17th, 2008, 22:39
Thank you. But would tht be an example of an easier or more difficult project to undertake?

dangee
April 17th, 2008, 22:40
It is possible.

ditto.

use HM6 for optimum f/w & phat/slim compatibility.

that1guywiththeface
April 18th, 2008, 03:59
Could someone tell me the difference between luaplayer v0.20 and luaplayer hm 6? I'm currently using the hello world tutorial with v0.20, but is there a better way to learn? I really appreciate the help.

dangee
April 18th, 2008, 07:17
HM6 is based on .20, but has many extra pre-written functions you can
use in your scripts.
Calls such as System.message() and System.startOSK() can really help with
program development early on.
There's no 'best way' to learn Lua, but cut & paste/modification of known
working code is a good place to start.
If you want to code a sprite based game, mastery of Controls.read() ,
Image blitting and screen flipping are essential.

AlphaDingDong
April 20th, 2008, 02:12
If you're looking to create a 2D sprite based game then the tutorials should teach you the vast majority of what you need to know. Check the tutorials section on the LuaPlayer HM forums. I left some links there. (the only post) Lua is a very small language and thus very easy to learn. Finish the tutorials and then look through the example code that was released alongside HM6 and you should be well on your way. I'll post some sprite demos on the HM forums for you as well.When stuck just ask for help! :)

that1guywiththeface
April 20th, 2008, 21:24
Thanks guys, but for know I cannot learn lua, because I'm grounded. I'm not even supposed to be typing this now. Still have to wait around 2 more weeks.

dangee
April 22nd, 2008, 08:44
Pig Rabids may fly,
and by the time you're ungrounded, Luaplayer 0.21 may be released.