PDA

View Full Version : Linux kernel 2.6.25 comes with support for the GD-ROM drive???

MrTeressaBond
April 18th, 2008, 19:36
Does anyone know more about the Linux kernel 2.6.25 comes with support for the GD-ROM drive???

that kinda makes it unfair to us Windows users, but how long ago was this? am i abit late?

could this also be a way to finally read GD ROM discs on a PC?

|darc|
April 19th, 2008, 20:52
that kinda makes it unfair to us Windows users, but how long ago was this? am i abit late?

could this also be a way to finally read GD ROM discs on a PC?

How is this unfair to Windows users?

And you will never be able to read GD-ROMs on a PC without disassembling the drive. It is a hardware problem that prevents the GD-ROM from being read (lack of a disc TOC for the second session), not a software problem.

MrTeressaBond
April 19th, 2008, 23:48
so what is with this Linux Kernal saying added support for GD-ROM?

Masta-G
April 20th, 2008, 21:13
yes it comes with alsa (sound) drivers, gdrom, framebuffer, maple bus, keyboard and mouse. and i think joystick support is also on its way.
all thanks to zx80user, the only one contributing to dc-linux.

so build yourself a cross-compiler using crosstool or buildroot.
and start building a distro :)

MrTeressaBond
April 21st, 2008, 07:01
so if i had Linux under this kernal, i am able to read a GD-ROM perhaps?

or what am i able to do then?

Masta-G
April 22nd, 2008, 21:55
yes you will be able to read gdrom and cdrom discs.
you can setup some ppp interface with your computer if you have a serial cable or upload it to your computer over the network if you have a broadband adapter.

MrTeressaBond
April 25th, 2008, 15:30
thats so unfair, and i have windows.

but if this kernal will make a drive read GD ROM discs under linux, what is the possibilty for Windows to do the same thing?

Nettapu
May 2nd, 2008, 20:45
thats so unfair, and i have windows.
People just don't get it, don't they?
Why the hell is it unfair?

The kernel has the support for the GD-ROM DRIVE. The DRIVE. It does not have "the ability to ream gd-rom discs under linux". It supports the DRIVE. The piece of hardware, the machine... You got it?

By the way, it supports the drive.

Zin0099
May 4th, 2008, 08:59
People just don't get it, don't they?
Why the hell is it unfair?

The kernel has the support for the GD-ROM DRIVE. The DRIVE. It does not have "the ability to ream gd-rom discs under linux". It supports the DRIVE. The piece of hardware, the machine... You got it?

By the way, it supports the drive.

you mean hooking the real dreamcast up through phone cord right like ps2/gcn through broadband connection to pc?

quzar
May 4th, 2008, 10:29
you mean hooking the real dreamcast up through phone cord right like ps2/gcn through broadband connection to pc?

No, running linux ON the DC.