PDA

View Full Version : Kojima Disappointed With Metal Gear Solid 4

10shu
April 19th, 2008, 16:06
Hi, any of you read the kojima interview on edge???

"When we first showed the game engine at TGS, the staff were really proud and happy. PS3 was a dream machine, y'know, and we were going to work on this and that - and we had so many ideas. But when we actually started developing the game, we realized there were a lot of restrictions and so it turned out how you see it today. The original vision was to go ten steps further, the reality was just one step, which isn't to say we didn't progress.

I remember saying three years ago that we wanted to create something revolutionary, but in reality we couldn't really do that because of the CPU. We're using the Cell engine to its limit., actually. Please don't get me wrong, I'm not criticizing the PS3 machine, it's just that we weren't really aware of what the full-spec PS3 offered - we were creating something we couldn't entirely see

http://kotaku.com/381412/kojima-disappointed-with-metal-gear-solid-4

What do you think ???
I Never seen a producer blasting his game few weeks before the release...?!?! What the hell is up with that???:confused:

Shadowblind
April 19th, 2008, 16:10
Kojima always beats himself down, or so i've heard. He also was expecting the PS3 to be something it obviously isn't, and it way undershot his expectations. Im gonna guess he overestimated what he wanted to do?...

Triv1um
April 19th, 2008, 18:00
More fuel for the 360 fanboys ay?

Anyway, Kojima are never happy with anything. They are most likely moaning because it doesnt look like it has being filmed. Haha.

I doubt they are using it to its total limit. Just imagine it running on the 360.

JKKDARK
April 19th, 2008, 18:18
I agree completely with Kojima. I hope Konami will port the game to the Xbox 360 :)

10shu
April 19th, 2008, 18:52

Anyway, Kojima are never happy with anything. They are most likely moaning because it doesnt look like it has being filmed. Haha.

I doubt they are using it to its total limit. Just imagine it running on the 360.

ahah...I didn t post this to fuel fanboy :) I actually own a ps3 and a fuc$ing broken 360 that I need to send to repair before gta4 get release...

but this kojima thing i can t figure it out..?! why a producer will kill the hype around his own game just before the release...?! why not just keep his mouth shut?!...it s kind of commercial suicide...

or maybe edge got bad evil translator....:confused:

Triv1um
April 19th, 2008, 19:57
ahah...I didn t post this to fuel fanboy :) I actually own a ps3 and a fuc$ing broken 360 that I need to send to repair before gta4 get release...

but this kojima thing i can t figure it out..?! why a producer will kill the hype around his own game just before the release...?! why not just keep his mouth shut?!...it s kind of commercial suicide...

or maybe edge got bad evil translator....:confused:

That comment wasnt actually aimed at you. :)

Well, I really dont think it will effect the way it sells, most people will buy it anyway.

But, he could be just really modist, and we could get a shock on how amazing it is.

Or it could really just be shit. Time will tell.

Shadowblind
April 19th, 2008, 20:10
That comment wasnt actually aimed at you. :)

Well, I really dont think it will effect the way it sells, most people will buy it anyway.

But, he could be just really modist, and we could get a shock on how amazing it is.

Or it could really just be shit. Time will tell.

Im fairly certain that its gonna be pretty awesome, based on what IGn and others have said about it. Remember, he said he was aiming for the moon, so obviously its not gonna be as good as he hoped.

law56ker
April 19th, 2008, 23:23
What would make anyone thing that the x360 could do any better in handling kojima's vision. Kojima said he isn't criticizing the ps3. He only said that what he dreamed of initially, wasn't possible in the end.

DPyro
April 19th, 2008, 23:33
Not news, he's done this every time saying he can't make it better. Then he releases MGS3 and it looks and plays even better than the previous game.

Cloudhunter
April 19th, 2008, 23:38

I agree completely with Kojima. I hope Konami will port the game to the Xbox 360 :)

How right you were Triv1um, how right you were...

Besides - there isn't much power difference. It wouldn't run any better on a 360, despite what some idiots seem to think.

Cloudy

F9zDark
April 19th, 2008, 23:50
How right you were Triv1um, how right you were...

Besides - there isn't much power difference. It wouldn't run any better on a 360, despite what some idiots seem to think.

Cloudy

Wouldn't run any better, I think it wouldn't run very well at all. I mean, considering the 360 doesn't have a high capacity drive, and a good portion of 360 owners don't have an HDD, so installing the game to the HDD wouldn't work...

About the actual topic:

Kojima has always done this. He essentially, sets himself up for a fall. There could be two reasons for this:

-He actually sets goals he cannot achieve, at the time. Good thing about this is, that his next product usually meets the mark of his last product (although he sets even higher goals for the current project, which is then met with his next project, so on and so forth)

-He sets himself up for the fall purposely, only to get a huge pick-me-up when the game does sell really well. I suppose this could explain why he deemed MGS3 the last game in the series during its development and release, then went out and made MGS4...

Who knows, maybe we'll see an MGS5 because of this :P

Shadowblind
April 19th, 2008, 23:58
Wouldn't run any better, I think it wouldn't run very well at all. I mean, considering the 360 doesn't have a high capacity drive, and a good portion of 360 owners don't have an HDD, so installing the game to the HDD wouldn't work...

You almost make it sound as though either of those things even matter..and i do consider 120GB very, very high. bad lie. And installing to get rid of 0.01seconds of load time is worthless.

JKKDARK
April 19th, 2008, 23:59
At least he will not be disappointed with the 360 potential. He already knows how is the 360 hardware, and he didn't know about the PS3 hardware when he was planning the fourth game.

Gene
April 20th, 2008, 00:28
Overall the ps3 runs at about 2 teraflops performance, and the 360 offers about 1 teraflop. Raw power wise, if Kojima is truly using the entire capacity of the Cell, then they are gonna have one hell of a hard time trying to port it over to the 360.

This is speculation however, and I'm not saying it can't be done. It's just gonna be one major pain in the ass.

DPyro
April 20th, 2008, 00:31
MGS4 is clearly not optimized to utilize 100% of the Cell processor. I would say it probably isn't using even 50% of the Cell.

Cloudhunter
April 20th, 2008, 00:34
At least he will not be disappointed with the 360 potential. He already knows how is the 360 hardware, and he didn't know about the PS3 hardware when he was planning the fourth game.

We can safely say that it won't be ported to 360. Damn, such a shame to keep fanboys deprived of games :)

Cloudy

jamotto
April 20th, 2008, 05:33
I'll just be happy to get the next chapter of the saga, every convoluted bit of it on what ever machine it comes out for.

F9zDark
April 20th, 2008, 06:05
You almost make it sound as though either of those things even matter..and i do consider 120GB very, very high. bad lie. And installing to get rid of 0.01seconds of load time is worthless.

By that I meant, I the DVD drive; Kojima filled all 50gbs of the Blu-ray disc. He has admitted to it. I am sorry, but MGS4 on the Xbox would be next to impossible. Installing 50gbs worth of data would probably not only require 2 install discs, but there'd have to be a play disc as well to ensure people don't pirate the game.

Not only that but the PS3 supports up to a terabyte drive, so once again Sony trumps the 360 in space.

MGS4 is clearly not optimized to utilize 100% of the Cell processor. I would say it probably isn't using even 50% of the Cell.

Considering the vast difference between MGS2 and MGS3 I'd say that Kojima should have waited to bring the end of the MGS series for the SECOND MGS game to grace the PS3.

jdnation
April 20th, 2008, 22:02
Technically this is the end of Metal Gear SOLID. Kojima has said that there can be other Metal Gear Games but there won't be anymore Solid Snake, and he won't be directing, only producing.

Though even then it sounds like Konami spent a lot of time and money developing this title... So would they use the same effort for another series/spin-off? Well I'm sure that Kojima's other ideas will find their way into other new games that he creates this gen or next...

Now all I want next to be complete are remakes of MG1 and 2 for PSN or PSP since those classics weren't included in the essential collection...

Ultima Chocochu
April 20th, 2008, 22:07

Well I don't think it's likely it'd come out for 360, maybe XBOX's next-gen console but yeah, the Blu-Ray is supposed to be crammed as is, and the 360 isn't as powerful as the PS3, so I wouldn't expect it. (Plus XBOX only had one of the MGS games, correct me if I am wrong, and Kojima said it was a PS3 exclusive to kill any hope)

But yeah, Kojima probably over-estimated things, or he is just modest, or making excuses who knows?
MGS is a good series in the end.

DPyro
April 20th, 2008, 23:09
The last time they put a game on another console it didn't exactly sell too well.

JKKDARK
April 20th, 2008, 23:20
Because the Gamecube wasn't doing well. Plus it was a remake from the first game, when the second was already released and the third was coming soon.

Shadowblind
April 21st, 2008, 00:38
The last time they put a game on another console it didn't exactly sell too well.

Devil May cry 4 did that and it sold 2 times more then its ps3 counterpart. granted it was developed side-by-side, but it shouldn't matter if they take the time for it. I don't think Konamis as stupid to make coding mistakes twice.

PS: I find it amazingly hard to believe MGS4 has 50GBs of uncompressed data, when Bioshock was only 6. And I can almost guarantee you its not gonna be as good as Bioshock. Course nothing is, but the point remains. Unless it has 200 hours of storymode I don't believe it.

DPyro
April 21st, 2008, 02:02
I was talking about the MGS series (DMC4 has sold more on PS3 btw)...

Eviltaco64
April 21st, 2008, 03:17
I thought the PS3 could go further than that.

Ultima Chocochu
April 21st, 2008, 03:26
I thought the PS3 could go further than that.

Well honestly, I'm sceptical
I mean, GTAIV looks like it's running more than MGS4 is in my opinion so....It really makes you wonder, unless the game has some gigantic war running all the time with random events going on you'll never see or you won't need to see going...I really can't figure out how the PS3 was "pushed" really XD

Napalm-Death
April 21st, 2008, 14:28
PS: I find it amazingly hard to believe MGS4 has 50GBs of uncompressed data, when Bioshock was only 6. And I can almost guarantee you its not gonna be as good as Bioshock. Course nothing is, but the point remains. Unless it has 200 hours of storymode I don't believe it.

PS: This sounds like the thing that only a fanboy would say.

Why can't we just wait until the game comes out and THEN argue about whether or not it's "bigger" or "better" than any other game? In the end it's MGS and MGS is great.

F9zDark
April 21st, 2008, 15:39

I don't. MGS3 for instance, just the GAME ALONE (no dialogue, no cutscenes) is about 12 hours long. Watching all the cutscenes and listening to all the dialogue the game skyrockets between 20-30 hours long (depending on how the player plays; stealthily or run and gun).

So lets assume the game is in total 20 hours with all movies and dialogue. Thats 8 hours of cutscenes and dialogue. If the movies and dialogue are HD movies and HD audio, I can easily see how it would quickly fill a Blu-Ray.

Kojima has also said he used all uncompressed audio (one of the main reasons he wanted a 50gb Blu-Ray disc for MGS3). He believes uncompressed audio sounds better than compressed audio (whether or not this is true is up to debate; but its his belief and he went with it).

And about being better than Bioshock... I don't know about that. Both Bioshock and the MGS series of games have done extremely well with critics and reviewers. And if history is anything to go by MGS4 should do just as well as its predecessors with reviewers, if not better.

I think its quite a bold statement, but thats your opinion. I haven't played Bioshock so I don't know what I think of it, but my friend said it was a great game. All in all I think MGS4 will be great for what it offers, just like Bioshock is great for what it offers.