PDA

View Full Version : Rumor: 360 GTA DLC will be 'Entirely New Cities'

wraggster
April 20th, 2008, 11:19
Kotaku's got a great GTA IV rumor posted at the moment, clipped from a recent CVG print feature about Rockstar's upcoming new megagame Grand Theft Auto IV.
While you should probably take this latest info with at least a grain of critical salt, the original article was originally published under the watchful auspices of Microsoft -- a company presumably in the know as far their own DLC is concerned. The rumor going round is that GTA IV's downloadable "expansion" content (you know, the stuff exclusive to the Xbox 360) will be large enough in scope to constitute entirely new cities. From the article:

"Of course to call games as vastly ambitious as Vice City or San Andreas mere 'expansion packs' seems childish, but nevertheless, the downloadable content coming for the Xbox 360 version of IV has repositioned those games in just this way.
"[GTA IV's expansions] are to GTA IV what Vice City or San Andreas were GTA III. Yes, Rockstar is clearly hinting at new downloadable cities; and the chances of them being London, Vice City or SA again are slim to none. So that's new as in brand new. GTA IV's Liberty City is the beginning. Think about that and be excited."

If true, that'd be quite the coup for Microsoft, don't you think? Obviously at this point it's mostly just speculation, and of course nobody's actually saying whether these new cities will constitute anything more than roadside truck stops and wilderness or whether they'll be as full fledged as New Jersey.
Still, the possibility that the GTA IV equivalent to Vice City could be as simple and direct as a download-only bolt-on to the original game isn't so far-fetched as to be unbelievable. This is Rockstar that we're talking about.

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3167463

ElRazur
April 20th, 2008, 12:58
I am in the ps3 camp and I really do not care.

mogwaimon
April 20th, 2008, 13:07
Well, I don't own a PS3 yet, so I'm getting it for the 360...but hell, even I know that all the DLC will be is new missions. Lazlow, the radio DJ who was on the radio in pretty much all of the 3D GTA games, pretty much said on his radio show recently that the DLC was 'new missions, new characters, and new comedy'

Getting your hopes up for a new DLC city is foolish and impractical. There's no way that Rockstar would make GTA4 Vice City or some such and put it up as DLC, they'd not only isolate the PS3 audience, they'd also lose money on the fans who own a 360 but don't have a Live account.

Facho
April 20th, 2008, 16:05
If it's true it's cool, but it really doesn't make me want the DLC. I'd rather wait for a new GTA than to expand the one that I already have.

Even though I love GTA games, I never come close to complete to 100%, I just like to do the main storyline and that's all.

I prefer a new game, with new stuff, new mechanics and improved gameplay rather expanding the same stuff.

DPyro
April 20th, 2008, 17:21
Oh yes, they're going to release entire new cities. Essentially creating entire new games just as add-ons. Gimme a break, this is not gonna happen.

JKKDARK
April 20th, 2008, 17:25

Too bad..

you will miss all these amazing expansions ;)

Shadowblind
April 20th, 2008, 17:34

then why are you even in this thread?

Napalm-Death
April 20th, 2008, 17:35

Probably because the thread happens to be in the "PS3 News Forum" instead of the Xbox360 News forum.

mcdougall57
April 20th, 2008, 17:51
probably wont buy this game anyway i get bored of em 4-5 hours in

fg-54
April 20th, 2008, 19:06
good thing i have a 360 :) but i AM getting a ps3 at some point.

Baboon
April 20th, 2008, 20:14
Probably because the thread happens to be in the "PS3 News Forum" instead of the Xbox360 News forum.
This also happens all the time in the 360 (and psp) news sections with rival console information being posted?? I guess wragg and co like to rub it in a bit if the competition are getting something we're not? lol

Well if this thread's rumour does turn out to be true then its a major win for MS. ...I guess they didn't pay big money for nothing in securing the exclusive 360 content (and also the 360 only GTA bundle TV adverts etc)?

This has been the most anticipated next gen game title to date and it looks like you might need a 360 for the complete experience? :rofl:

It's only a couple weeks away so I guess we'll see what format does have the definitive version then? ...either way this is defo going to be an essential purchase on both systems! :)

Napalm-Death
April 20th, 2008, 20:34
The essential purchase that I won't make! :D

Baboon
April 20th, 2008, 20:38
The essential purchase that I won't make! :D

I'd say your your in the minority there... but hey it's your loss. :D

DPyro
April 20th, 2008, 20:39
I agree I probably won't pick this up either just for the fact I've already played GTA before on PS2 and PSP. The later I played only a few hours before it got repetitive and boring.

Triv1um
April 20th, 2008, 21:37
New cities will not happen. Imagine the size of the update. Only the elite owners would be able to use it without a worry.

Ultima Chocochu
April 20th, 2008, 21:58
I'm highly doubting on city expansions, could be little, they said at least it'd add 10 hours so...Sounds like some extra things, maybe some extra piece of land, but missions mainly so yeah.

You never know but cities? Just very doubtful, either way I'm getting the PS3 one so it matters little.

ElRazur
April 20th, 2008, 22:16

I believe this is a ps3 section right? And i think my post was a valid contribution ....Unlike yours.

The whole 360 v ps3 on this game is pretty much boring now. It do not make any difference to me if one console have more content than the other. I own a ps3, I am happy with my purchase and the games available for it.

Ultima Chocochu
April 21st, 2008, 03:19
I'd say your your in the minority there... but hey it's your loss. :D

Remember, it's just a rumor. Nothing is official yet, and there is no minority, there is actually a decent majority of people who would rather have the PS3 version(regardless of DLC) because they grew up with it on the PS2.

Now if it does add-on stuff like a new city(still doubting), I'd admit I'd hate knowing that, but I'm getting it for the PS3 anyways, even if I had a 360 I would because I've always played it on PS3.

And let me also add, we all know, exclusives sometimes don't last forever...And PS3 is getting DLC too(but later), which is unannounced as to what so, you never know.

lmtlmt
April 21st, 2008, 06:38
he meant the minority being people not buying GTA4 ;)

Baboon
April 21st, 2008, 08:27
he meant the minority being people not buying GTA4 ;)

I did, sorry ND (I didnt expect you to go out and purchase another console just to be able to play GTAIV - not that you would have lol)... thanks for clearing that up Lmtlmt.

I've pre-ordered my copy from Game but I've got a few mates that are now having difficulty ordering this for the release date now (both at high street retailers and online) ...the only few copies they seem to be able to get now is the more expensive (almost double the price) GTA pack with all the extra artwork and box tin crap etc.

This game is one of the main reasons I wanted a next-gen console (my wii doesnt count lol)... so I really hope it lives up to the hype.

@ Sniper: Fair enough if this game isn't you cup of tea but to say you got bored of the PSP GTA versions after a few hours is not a great reason not to get this next (nextgen) installment of the franchise? ...surely this is in a different league?

lmtlmt
April 21st, 2008, 09:14
just to add my thoughts in, it couldnt possibly be another city added, i mean, think how bog the download will be and some 360's dont even have HDD's, on another note, it isnt very feasible to release a new city to one console, thats just stupid.

all the best lmtlmt ;)

Shadowblind
April 21st, 2008, 12:29
I believe this is a ps3 section right? And i think my post was a valid contribution ....Unlike yours.

Right :rolleyes:

On topic, by the money MS payed for these I expect nothing less then new cities. And I doubt I will be disappointed.

And how big? Who cares? Xbox users probably download demos bigger then those expansions.

lmtlmt
April 21st, 2008, 12:35
you seriously think it will be new cities?

lmao :rofl:

Napalm-Death
April 21st, 2008, 14:35
I did, sorry ND (I didnt expect you to go out and purchase another console just to be able to play GTAIV - not that you would have lol)... thanks for clearing that up Lmtlmt.

lol It's cool. Thanks Lmtlmt. I won't be getting this as my PS3 is in the living room. ;)

F9zDark
April 21st, 2008, 15:49
I don't see why Wraggster and company feel the need to incite flame wars by putting information such as this in the PS3 boards. We already have enough issues with flame wars on this board as it is.

mcdougall57
April 21st, 2008, 17:00
anybody else thinking this might be a download and doesnt have to be compulsory? it could be exclusive to the 360 for a while like the CoD maps and come to the ps3 later.

F9zDark
April 21st, 2008, 18:43
anybody else thinking this might be a download and doesnt have to be compulsory? it could be exclusive to the 360 for a while like the CoD maps and come to the ps3 later.

I don't know. 150 million is an awful lot of money to spend on something that is a "timed exclusive". It really depends on if Rockstar wanted to release content updates to the game in the first place. They might not have wanted to until they saw all those green bills coming their way...