PDA

View Full Version : Earthworm Jim Returns

wraggster
April 23rd, 2008, 17:47
Publisher Interplay (in the process of making a comeback, it seems) on Tuesday announced that it is underway with an official sequel in the acclaimed Earthworm Jim franchise. The title, called Earthworm Jim 4, will be developed in conjunction with character creator Douglas TenNapel, who will simultaneously serve as the project's creative consultant and help launch an Earthworm Jim animated series and feature film to "expand the well-known brand."

Earthworm Jim debuted in videogame form in 1994 for the SEGA Genesis. The machinegun-brandishing worm starred in a side-scrolling 2D shoot-'em-up / platformer whose uniquely edgy style and humorous presentation, not to mention winning play mechanics, combined for a standout experience. Subsequent sequels for various platforms followed over the years.

During the late '90s, Interplay suffered a series of financial setbacks which ultimately led in 2004 to the closing of the company. However, in late 2007, after selling the Fallout intellectual property to Bethesda Software, the publisher showed signs of a re-emergence, with executives promising to use the newfound finances to reestablish Interplay as an industry player. It's clear that Tuesday's announcement is the first in a series of steps to draw upon old Interplay licenses as a foundation for the new business.

No further details regarding Earthworm Jim 4 -- target videogame platforms, release date, and so on -- were made available by Interplay's official release today.

The Interplay website now shows a "coming soon" graphic, but does not provide any other information about the company or the games it may have in development. Nor does Tuesday's news release supply contact information of any kind, which is why IGN's attempts to reach Interplay officials for additional information about Earthworm Jim 4 went unsuccessful.

http://uk.psp.ign.com/articles/868/868728p1.html

Mc_Logical
April 23rd, 2008, 17:52
Wicked! I use to love this on mega drive, I even had the roms for DGN emulator on psp, sold psp now, this will be good in 3D using your head as a weapon wapshhhhhh! lol

Triv1um
April 23rd, 2008, 17:54
I am a huge Earthworm Jim fan.

I'm worried about this.

Mc_Logical
April 23rd, 2008, 17:56
Worried how? because its been so long?

JKKDARK
April 23rd, 2008, 19:05
Glad to see this serie back in the video games world. I hope they will do a decent sequel :/

kjetil1991
April 23rd, 2008, 19:20
if my memory is right i watched jim on tv when i was 4 or 5 good games too =)

Graxer0419
April 23rd, 2008, 20:27
If this is as good as Earthworm Jim 2 it will be awesome! Please let this be for the Wii or DS!!! (Or at least multi-patform covering the Wii or DS)

tutting
April 23rd, 2008, 22:03
Earthworm Jim, he's such a groovy guy...
Earthworm Jim he rockets through the sky...

Triv1um
April 23rd, 2008, 23:18
Worried how? because its been so long?

Well, it might be totally shit compaired to the other games.

Old games made into new games usually are crappy.

bosanova_x
April 23rd, 2008, 23:18
well I have to say EWJ will make a great game if done right for the right consoles.

GRooVY, I'm sure he used to say that??? :)

jamotto
April 24th, 2008, 04:41
I'm not going to hold my breath, don't get me wrong, I would love to see Interplay make a come back though.

mike_jmg
April 24th, 2008, 17:59
Hope this one could be a great game

ojdon
April 25th, 2008, 17:26
Well this is what I like to see, good ol' 90's back...

*Hums the theme tune*

What ever happened with the EWJ1 Remake for the PSP, is it STILL on hold. :\ Anyway, I can't wait to see this get in action, EWJ does have some fan base so hopefully it won't get cancelled like most "cool" stuff like this.

NOCHUCK
April 25th, 2008, 17:46
Man I hope they do this right! And a multi-platform release so i can get it for the 360 and the psp. Still playin EWJ SE(best EWJ ever) on the Picodrive to this day