PDA

View Full Version : Thompson Writes Chairman's Mom Re: GTA 4, Compares Zelnick to Hitler Youth

Shrygue
April 23rd, 2008, 21:55
via Shacknews (http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/52358)

Protesting the release of Grand Theft Auto IV (PS3, X360) on April 29, outspoken game critic Jack Thompson (pictured left) has written a letter addressed to the mother of Take-Two Interactive chairman Strauss Zelnick.

Take-Two Interactive owns Grand Theft Auto developer Rockstar and is publishing the upcoming title. The letter was delivered to Strauss Zelnick's lawyer, per a past settlement that only allows Thompson to communicate with Take-Two via counsel.

Thompson's meandering letter compares Strauss to a Hitler Youth, quotes scripture, accuses him of causing the death of three Alabama police officers, questions if the Boy Scouts ever awarded him a Ted Bundy merit badge, and wishes the chairman's mom a happy Mother's Day.

The complete, unedited letter follows:

Extract of letter:

Mrs. Zelnick
Strauss Zelnick, Take-Two Chairman's Mother
New York, New York Via e-mails to intermediaries

Re: Your Son, Strauss Zelnick

Dear Mrs. Zelnick:

Your son, as you may know (or maybe you don't know), is Chairman of Take-Two Interactive Software, Inc., whose most popular video games are the Grand Theft Auto murder simulator games banned in some countries but sold to children here.

Your son last week was reported to have said the following about Grand Theft Auto IV, due to be released Tuesday, April 29: "We've already received numerous [GTA IV] reviews, and to a one, they are perfect scores. My mom couldn't write better reviews..." Taking your son's thought, I would encourage you either to play this game or have an adroit video gamer play it for you. Some of the latter gamers are on death row, so try to find one out in the civilian population who hasn't killed someone yet.

What you will see in your son's game, if this iteration of GTA is anything like its predecessors, is incredible interactive violence aimed at police officers (whom you can shoot in the head and see the blood spray), innocent bystanders (whom you can run over with your car just for the heck of it), and of course the plentiful female prostitutes you can have sex with and then filet with a knife or stomp with your feet in order to get your money back. Experts note that the recent plethora of cop killings is caused in part by your darling son's entrepreneurial energy. There are three policemen dead in Alabama because of Grand Theft Auto. I was on 60 Minutes about it. I hope Strauss has provided you with a flat screen tv to see the grief of the bereaved families that fills the screen.

As it's a long letter, see the full article here (http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/52358)

eatnooM
April 23rd, 2008, 22:38
Well, normally I only post when I have something useful to say, but all I can think of while reading this garbage is "lol".

Gene
April 23rd, 2008, 22:54
Thompson, you've hit an all time low.
It's a game. if you don't like it, move to China.

Shadowblind
April 23rd, 2008, 22:58
Jackie, you may die with some truth. You may be the first person someones ever killed because of GTA IV :rofl:

Cloudhunter
April 23rd, 2008, 23:06
I usually ignore the rantings of Thomson. But the only words that come into my heads are "What an idiot". But alas - with that statement I'm insulting idiots :(

Cloudy

geise69
April 24th, 2008, 13:06
WTF! Now you have to harass his family? WTF is wrong with you! All I can do is spew words of hatred towards you. I am a very calm and collective person, but some asinine stuff you pull is so low I really can do only one thing. Write a letter to your mom and tell her how you are spiteful, hate filled person to people who make video games (for adults). Wonder what your mom would say about you badgering peoples family to promote you "just cause" on video games.

F9zDark
April 24th, 2008, 14:21
I thought Thompson was unable to bar to the release of GTAIV lest his Bar license be revoked....

Hopefully Strauss' mother sues Thompson for harassment.

He needs to give it the **** up. Rockstar has NEVER sold these games to the youth of America; Gamestop, EB Games, Wal-Mart, etc has. Blame them and take THEM to court.