PDA

View Full Version : Bioware devs debate whether Wii is part of gaming

wraggster
April 23rd, 2008, 23:03
CEO Ray Muzyka and President Greg Zeschuk of Bioware, a company founded on narrative-centric RPGs, can't seem to decide if the Wii is a game (as opposed to, from what we gather, a toy). In an interview with GameDaily, Zeschuk said, "If gaming is defined by story, then generally Wii may not be," though he immediately expands on that, "The game [4 to 5 people together are] playing is actually very different than the rest of us. What they're doing as a company is like a different flavor."

Providing a counterpoint, Muzyaka noted that the Wii experience is "more toy-like" but also said, "there's also a narrative between the players outside the game and kind of fulfills the same things games do. Games are 'toys' in the sense that they're fun." Warren Spector had made a similar designation in an Escapist piece last year, categorizing games like Tetris and Madden akin as "retold" narratives.

http://www.joystiq.com/2008/04/23/bioware-devs-debate-if-wii-is-gaming/

____anders____
April 23rd, 2008, 23:35
of course it's a gaming console, just look at SSBB, mario kart and the possibly upcoming "the conduit" and you'll see what i mean, and what they've missed:D

kingslime80
April 23rd, 2008, 23:44
The Wii is only a toy insofar as ALL game systems are. The problem I now see is that long as the game developers consider this system not good enough and not making games for it, other developers will notice and follow suit. Basically developers have to stop harping on the differences and start developing already.

dahun
April 24th, 2008, 00:44
seeing as the 360 and ps3 are only popular in and around north america but then the wii is everwere so thats a prob for devs

idapimp
April 24th, 2008, 02:39
what does he mean if a game is defined by story. look at zelda. amazing game. the problem is not that the wii is a toy. the problem is that wii developers a making toys for the wii.

halatosis
April 24th, 2008, 03:07
How can you even say its not a game console. Just because it isn't full of high quality graphics, they are not bad at all. Ignore the second rate party games that keep coming out, and stop freaking buying them like the ten million crappy bargain atari cartrages that ruined the good ones. There are really good games like zelda that make other "next gen" games on other systems seem like a big bucket of duece. The only thing they have going for them is graphics, Zelda has a far superior story line. I think anyone who has played it would agree. I have a 360 and I haven't touched it for the two months since I got my wii, not kidding.

domthegod
April 24th, 2008, 10:01
Well it plays every kind of game so its a FU**ING Gaming console .

Residant evil 4, need for speed pr street, mario kart, Super paper mario, Etc.....etc...etc...

in my case for playabilaty its the best.

wiggy fuzz
April 24th, 2008, 10:23
how dare you mention need for speed pro street in the same sentence as mario kart... just kidding

shovel ware shovel ware shovel ware: it's hurting the wii, and is loosing nintendo's respect. High School Musical? imagine: babies? come on, it's titles like that that by rights should never be released, but they do and find their way onto the wii.

the wii has had some good - very good games. but based on percentages the vast vast vast majority of games are not worth renting, i'd say on average the combined total score out of 10 for wii games would hover between 3 and 4, and that's all in part to the utter waste people like to release for it.

and obviously if you've played one bad game you'll try and hold off wasting your money until a good while later. it's why some games never get played often enough

geise69
April 24th, 2008, 12:54
So now that you can play a game a bit differently, and the system is geared towards everyone it's a toy? I don't get some of these devs. I guess they never used to go to the arcades and play the machines that had light guns to shoot, or swords to swing at foes, or whole systems you ride in like Glaxy Force II, the latest arcade F-Zero. That's no different really than the wii. It just allows you to play a game differently. Yeah some games are just party games (bad party games at that) but there are some good party games. Not to mention great story filled games like others here have mentioned, plus DQ Swords. Some people are just afraid of change, and trying something different. Look at EA =D

sappo
April 24th, 2008, 18:02
I hate how these developer have been so stupid to not caught the Wii's success, and now are criticising it. The next time don't do ports for PS3, but for Wii.

vicious1988
April 24th, 2008, 18:08
If they don't like the Wii, f*ck 'em. They can buy a ticket for the Epic boat and lose out on some major profits. Of course it might be slightly more enjoyable if they have Isaac working the bar.