PDA

View Full Version : Xroar 0.21 released

JKKDARK
April 25th, 2008, 00:44
New version of the Dragon and Tandy CoCo emulator (http://www.6809.org.uk/dragon/xroar.shtml) for Linux, Unix, Mac OS X, GP32, Nintendo DS and Windows.

Info and changelog:

- Emulates Dragon 32, Dragon 64, Tano Dragon, Tandy CoCo 1/2.
- Emulates DragonDOS, Delta and RSDOS disk systems.
- Raw and translated keyboard modes.
- Reads and writes virtual cassettes (".cas" files).
- Reads audio files as cassette input.
- Reads and writes DMK format virtual floppy diskettes.
- Reads (and supports in-memory writing of) JVC and VDK format virtual floppy diskettes.
- Custom snapshot format; no ".pak" support yet.

Changed from v0.20 to v0.21
* Fix border colour in RG6, CSS=0.
* Input abstraction layer.
* NDS: Render video as 4 x 3 grid of 4-bit colour sprites.
* NDS: Use NDS VCOUNT writability to lock display to 50Hz when appropriate.
* NDS: Major UI improvements.
* NDS: Sound support.
* GP32: Fix chatboard support with new state-machine based scanner.
* Trace mode fixes (SYNC, CWAI).
* Support changing of SAM RAM configuration.
* More accurate single-bit sound.
* Variable MPU rate support configurable.

Download and give feedback via comments

crookedmouth
April 29th, 2008, 01:42
So far , I can run most all of the Dragon 32/64 games I've tried.

Has anyone had any luck with the TRS-80 CoCo games?

I keep getting Input/Output errors. :(

Is anyone else trying this emulator out? Or am I the only one interested? lol

Another question is weather the DS version is CoCo 1 and CoCo 2 or is that the other versions?

Thanks

Danief
April 29th, 2008, 05:09
i dont even know what system that is...

SlipKnot.:.Man
April 29th, 2008, 12:11
yeah me neither just a little please and sorry

kc4mts
May 20th, 2008, 08:50
(problem temporarily corrected see post number 8)

Cant Find FAT (root) directory to place roms for Xroar.
I know this is REALLY Lame but I just got a DS (DS lite) mainly for homebrew apps. I am using a DS One supercard with an 8 gig SDhc mem chip.
The problem is that Xroar is running and I have the 3 coco 2 roms stored in /dragon/roms and I am still getting inverse @@@ 's on the upper screen. I have double checked the naming of the roms which are:
bas13.rom
extbas11.rom
disk11.rom
these roms work on my pc with an emulator called MESS so I assume that they are OK. The problem I believe is the location of the dragon directory, which I created with DSOrganise and moved the ROM files into it.

Just turning on the DS with the supercard inserted (in slot1) brings up what I think is the Root directory but it is possible to go up one more level from this screen which has two folders, one is called IMFS/ Impla.... and the other one is MPCF/ Sup...
MPCF/ Sup contains all of my game, music, emulator, and other files such as the Dragon directory.
When using a program like DSOrganise MPCF/Sup seems to be the Root (I believe that this is refered to as FAT:\) as you cannot access higher folders than this from the file browser.
When reading the contents of the chip with my PC (using it as a flash drive) there is no higher directory than the contents of MPCF/ Sup so the directory tree would be DRIVE#\ followed by the other files and folders in that directory, one of which is Dragon\Roms.
I have the Xraor program in (I am assuming ) FAT:/nintendo ds/OS emulators/Xroar/xroar.nds and except for the @@@'s seems to run from there OK.
I have no idea what could be wrong.
Any help out there would be greatly appreciated.

Alan

kc4mts
May 20th, 2008, 11:12
(problem temporarily corrected see post number 8)

This is an addition to post #5

As an added note..... I am using xroar-0.21f1-nds.zip on the DS

In an effort, continuing to try and find the problem on my DS, I opened the xroar-0.21-windows32.zip and loaded it onto my PC. So far I have tried the dragon.rom, the coco2b ( bas13.rom), and the coco2 roms (bas12.rom).
The program seems to lock at a black window titled SDL app. I also restarted the PC in msdos mode and got a standard error message that the program would not run from msdos so I assume that it has to run windowed. (SDL is from the binary distribution and is ver 1.2.13)
With this in mind I loaded up MESS to recheck the roms and make sure that there was not data corruption of the files. Mess booted fine and using the same rom images (for coco2) I was able to get the disk extended color basic 1.1 screen up and did some simple commands to check for operation (CLS, Print, etc.). Preliminary findings show the roms to be OK.
After some sleep I will try to compile xroar from source and see how that works.

Any other suggestions?
Alan

kc4mts
May 20th, 2008, 11:38
Hello crookedmouth!

I am trying the emulator (with mixed results so far) . I have a number of Radio Shack color computers around and thought that it would be cool to dig out a few of my old programs to use, except this time around I hope to loose the power supply and tv and have a fully portable DS coco. When the Dragon 32 came out there was alot of talk for a while about making a portable dragon:thumbup:, but it never got past the planning stages:(. It was going to look similar to the commodore 128 portable with a 5 inch color screen:D.(still could not get rid of the plug for AC though):mad:
Originally I was looking for a PDA to just store some info and maybe a book and some music on. A friend of mine had one of the original DS systems and showed me what it could do. After looking around the NDS sites for a couple of days I went and shelled out some bucks for a DS and a super card. Now I have the best of all PDAs plus I soon hope to be able to do a little on the fly basic programming. (I should add that the games are not too shabby either!)

kc4mts
May 21st, 2008, 13:39
This is a update to post number 6

Xraor is working fine on my DS lite with a set of dragon 64 roms installed, so if you have similar problems as I have had, try a set of dragon64 roms before writing long emails asking for help. The ones I used which worked great are:

d64_1.rom
d64_2.rom
ddos10.rom

Also if you have a supercard SDHC the fat:\ directory is at the screen you see when super card first shows a folder in the upper screen...if you open that folder it will put you into a higher directory containing 2 folders but you cannot add anything into it .
If you are in that upper folder go into MPCF /sup and there is where the FAT:/ starts.

I have tried the same roms on the PC version of xroar and the screen still locks at SDL app but I am using win 98se on this machine with a dual monitor and so I will try it on a couple of other PCs to see if it is the operating system version or the dual monitor display causing the problem.

Alan

crookedmouth
May 22nd, 2008, 00:45
Hey kc4mts, glad someone else is trying this out and glad that you figured it out. :)
I can run most any Dragon game I've tried, but I've still had no luck with the TRS-80 CoCo games. I personally have a soft spot for the TRS-80, and would never call it TRASH-80 or what ever. :)

I know this is a CoCo3 but check this out. It's Donkey Kong being emulated on TRS-80 CoCo3.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQgd5p-Z5DY"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQgd5p-Z5DY