PDA

View Full Version : Rural Albert Lea man accused of video game scam

wraggster
April 26th, 2008, 20:49
During a nearly one-year period, Frank Buchanan allegedly made about 192 purchases on two credit cards at various stores.

What was out of the ordinary, however, was that the 30-year-old Buchanan also allegedly had about 183 refunds on those cards.

The rural Albert Lea man's transaction history, authorities say, demonstrated an obvious purchase-return pattern mainly involving video games at multiple stores in numerous southeastern Minnesota and northern Iowa cities, including Austin and Rochester, according to a criminal complaint filed this week in Mower District Court.

Overall $23,178 in refunds was credited to Buchanan's accounts during that period, the complaint says.

Buchanan's alleged scam consisted of buying video games from stores, repackaging the containers with blank replica game discs, returning the fraudulent games for a refund and selling the original games on eBay, an online-auction site. From October 2006 to January 2008, Buchanan auctioned off about 447 video games on eBay for roughly $19,562, the complaint says.

Buchanan is charged in Mower District Court with three felony counts of theft by swindle alleging he obtained credit for fraudulent merchandise at area Target, Wal-Mart, ShopKo and Kmart stores.

One count alleges Buchanan got about $12,373 worth of credit through his scheme from Dec. 1, 2006, to May 31, 2007; another is for about $6,836 in credit from June 1, 2006, to Nov. 30, 2007; and the last is for about $3,969 in credit from Dec. 1, 2007, to Feb. 28, 2008.

Buchanan, who is summoned to appear June 9 in court, allegedly did his video-game scam at retail box stores throughout the region, including Mankato, Winona, Albert Lea, Fairmont and Mason City, Iowa.

On Feb. 27 law-enforcement officers from Austin, Albert Lea, Freeborn County, Mower County and the U.S. Postal Service used a search warrant at Buchanan's home along U.S. Highway 65.

Authorities seized about 41 items related to Buchanan's fraud scam, including a heat-sealing packager, an array of computer equipment and a journal listing Buchanan's purchases and returns with dates and stores, the complaint says. They also found numerous sealed and unsealed video games with purchase receipts attached to each game.

Buchanan allegedly admitted to starting the scheme in late 2006.

In a police interview, Buchanan allegedly said he opened and removed the video games at his home. He would scan the game, print a label on a disc, place the fake game disc back in the box and repackage the game with a heat-sealing machine, the complaint says.

Austin police detective Mark Haider began investigating Buchanan's scam after getting a fraud report Oct. 8, 2007, from a Target loss-prevention agent who said the store was the victim of a video-game return scam done by Buchanan, with the help of his mother, for several thousand dollars.

Buchanan's mother Dorothy Mae Buchanan, 68, who lives with him, is charged with a single felony count of theft by swindle (more than $1,000) for allegedly helping her son with the illegal activity from October 2006 to January 2008 in Austin.

http://www.postbulletin.com/newsmanager/templates/localnews_story.asp?a=339478&z=28

____anders____
April 27th, 2008, 00:33
hmm, he's not a smart one, paying with a credit card, at least that would be the first thing i would think of if i should do such thing, NOT paying with a credit card..

damn, i bet he haven't seen CSI even once, in about every episode, they trace someone with their credit card..

juiceface
April 27th, 2008, 00:43
this scam has been around forever, this is just a newer form because he was using replica carts, so it was not easily detectable. but back in the day at toy's R Us people would just bring the game back with a cardboard piece inside it or somthing similar, get a refund and keep the real game, only to have the next person to buy it discover the cardboard as their game.

____anders____
April 27th, 2008, 00:54
hehe, so you're all scammers?!

just kidding, but i guess we all have small scammers in us;)

why don't they open the case to see for themselves?, wouldn't you just run like hell if they open it to see that there's just a peice of cardboard in there?

juiceface
April 27th, 2008, 01:05
Well this was circa NES days, back then it was just some saleswoman who didn't know better and just did a refund on the spot as long as you had the reciept and the box felt like there was somthing in it.

I just remember this scam from others, i never partook in it myself :)

icecoolwas
April 27th, 2008, 08:52
i scammed my mate, well more like ripped him off, i bought a SNES from him thats in mint condition with 7 games for £20 quid..

how much can i sell it for in like ten years?

____anders____
April 27th, 2008, 14:22
hehe me too, i bought an atari 2600 about 5 years or so ago, for just $12.7 USD, it came with two joysticks and 8 great games, guess how much i'm gonna get for it hehe.. they're really expensive..
and it works flawless:)

Pilot_51
April 27th, 2008, 18:48
I took a look at some of the envelopes I still have from some of my eBay game purchases over the past year and I noticed one was from a P.O. box in Clinton, Iowa. That was a little spooky. I checked my Paypal history and eBay feedback and didn't notice anything suspicious, so I think it's all cool.

cory1492
April 27th, 2008, 22:26
lol he had a heat sealer and was re-wrapping them on returns. Shoulda done that to gamestop and co, they do it to their customers.