PDA

View Full Version : Making Dreamcast?

1magus
April 30th, 2008, 22:17
I started to think about the fact that once over used a Dreamcast or any console for that matter can die.

I was wondering does anybody think any company will start making Dreamcasts like they currently do for the SNES/NES/Genesis I think they cost roughly 50 $ and they will play cartridges from both systems or flash cards, I heard once the copyright of the system dies a company can legally do this and sell "remakes" .

JKKDARK
April 30th, 2008, 22:33
You're talking about modded consoles. We had Treamcast ;)

Elven6
April 30th, 2008, 23:41
Treamcast's are made from already built DC units aren't they? And yes when it becomes severe and it is demanded we will see such a thing. Hopefully with modifications such as onboard storage, DVD player, VGA/HDMI out, etc

1magus
May 1st, 2008, 00:17
Is it possible to do it now from scratch? With the DVD player and other hookups?

Obviously making them in bulk without the help of a company would be completely un practical but could anybody here do it?

SSaxdude
May 1st, 2008, 01:08
Your best bet is waiting a few years until a DC emulator can play every game at 100% speed.

NeverGoingBack
May 1st, 2008, 19:52
he is not talking about any type of mod. its a generic system created by lesser know companies that can play say SNES and NES games or NES games and Genesis games on one system. I just sold mine. they are all around the net. its not the copyright that expired. it was the patent.

copyrights last about 75 years the patent was for like 15 years or something. no I dont see them doing this for dreamcast. it is more likely you will see all the games published on a virtual console xblive, wii, etc.

not to mention most systems have backwards compatibility now, even handhelds, do.

Guaripolo
May 2nd, 2008, 18:27
as far as i know dreamcast and saturn still being manufactured in brazil by tectoy, they have the license to make master system, genesis, saturn and dreamcast. I will ask to some brazillian contacts and confirm it.

Also i think that in china must exist a lot of bootleg dc's , the chinese factories doesn't care much about copyrights. Treamcast is just the top of the iceberg...

Elven6
May 2nd, 2008, 21:07
copyrights last about 75 years the patent was for like 15 years or something. no I dont see them doing this for dreamcast. it is more likely you will see all the games published on a virtual console xblive, wii, etc.

not to mention most systems have backwards compatibility now, even handhelds, do.

Good luck getting a Dreamcast game on the virtual console :D

And I have heard of a company in Brazil that still makes Genesis III's, I'm not sure about the other consoles though. Many companies in Asia have licenses' to create Sega Genesis's, on one of my trips I saw the III Genesis consoles that were packaged in the original Genesis boxes!

Eviltaco64
May 3rd, 2008, 00:06
Wii isnt powerful enough to emulate the Dreamcast.

Although it could be done on the 360 or PS3. Then you'd have DC in HD with Blu-ray n everything! lol

NeverGoingBack
May 3rd, 2008, 04:43
Hes not even talking about re-releasing the games. hes talking about the systems. You can find plenty of them around new and used still.

I dont see them doing it becuase its not cost effective. They do it for genesis and nintendo becuase playing those games is still in high demand and the name sells itself. 2 things the dreamcast lacks.

and there is rumor of 50 games that appeared on dreamcast to be released on xbox live over the next 2 years.

MrTeressaBond
May 5th, 2008, 16:12
Although it could be done on the 360 or PS3. Then you'd have DC in HD with Blu-ray n everything! lol

thats not precisely true, you would have to make or programme the 360 to do upscaling on the actual games, which is possible, but because of the such hardware differences, its unlikely for it to be possibly decent.