PDA

View Full Version : Region compatibility

brewer
September 19th, 2005, 11:26
Hi all,
I am thinking of purchasing a PSP and 1GB Memory stick from Thailand, along with several UMD's (games and movies).

My questions relate to compatibility.

I am in the UK, and wish to be sure that everything will work OK.

a) Will Stick work in a friends UK PSP?
b) Will UK games work in the Thai PSP?
c) Will UK movies work in the Thai PSP?
d) what about the power supply/charger?

Any other advice or wordcs of caution that I should be aware of?

Many thanks to all for any help provided - yes I am a newbie here so please be gentle!!

Cheers.
Mark

Plod
September 19th, 2005, 16:08
a) Will Stick work in a friends UK PSP?

Yes

b) Will UK games work in the Thai PSP?

Yes <sup>1</sup>

c) Will UK movies work in the Thai PSP?

No<sup>2</sup>

d) what about the power supply/charger?

Yes<sup>3</sup>

1. Games from any zone will work PSP's purchased from any other zone - however you will not be able to play multi-player games against games from different zones.

2. UMD movies have the same region locks as DVD movies do. So you will need to source movies from the region where you purchased your PSP

3. Check the power supply - mine states input voltage 100-240v 50/60Hz. If it says anything different, then it may go bang.

Hope this helps :)

Plod.

brewer
September 20th, 2005, 14:01
Much appreciated.

A few more questions if you dont mind;

Is there a hack to make it DVD multi-regional like virtually every dvd player out there?

What is the capacity on a UMD? Greater than 2GB (which I believe is the size of the largest memory stick)?

Could you use a pc hard disk to store games and then copy them to memory stick when you wanted to play on PSP?

Thanks.
Mark

Plod
September 21st, 2005, 12:52
Is there a hack to make it DVD multi-regional like virtually every dvd player out there?Tough question. Firmware v.1 - 1.5 has the ability to run 'homebrew' software - or software not authorised by Sony. If there was a hack to allow multi-region functionality, it would only work with that firmware.

However, in Australia the legislation that covers the region-locking of DVD movies got screwed up and essentially, there is no legal requirement for players to be 'zoned'. There is a thought on some forums along the lines of Australian PSP's being multi-region for UMD playback... That said, I'm not about to go out and buy a movie from another region just to find out, that's going to remain one of life's little mysteries...

What is the capacity on a UMD? Greater than 2GB (which I believe is the size of the largest memory stick)?The UMD is 1.8gb. If I see where you're going with that queston, then yes, it's possible to fit a full UMDs worth of data onto a memory stick. Some things to consider:

It's piracy. You're stealing someone elses work. You're not paying the royalties that go into paying the way for new games/movies being developed. It's bad karma and you will get zapped by some greater being when your time comes. Pay for the damn game. They're not that expensive and it was a commitment you made when you purchased your PSP.

If you're going to live with the thought of some horrible thing happening to you, then you will need to find yourself a PSP with Firmware v.1 - 1.5. They're rare. You *might* find a 2nd hand one. It's probably going to be thrashed and will cost you a fortune. It will probably break not long after you get it (yes, it's a karma thing) and it will all end in tears.

There are some real neat improvements in Firmware v.2 that makes it worthwhile upgrading anyhow. And once you do go to v.2, no more playing pirated games.

( I'll just step down off my soap-box now ;) )

Could you use a pc hard disk to store games and then copy them to memory stick when you wanted to play on PSP?

Yes, possible... But you might want to re-read the last bit ;)

Plod.

grant22775
January 15th, 2006, 13:05
i have bought a china psp and cannot play british umd movies on it, i have the latest psp software 2.60 from yourpsp.com .if there is any software you know of email me at [email protected]

grant22775
January 15th, 2006, 13:08
i have bought a china psp and cannot play british umd movies on it, i have the latest psp software 2.60 from yourpsp.com .if there is any software you know of email me at [email protected].

super_tunka
January 24th, 2006, 12:05
If you buy a usb charger for your psp you will have no problems

vndnguyen
February 4th, 2006, 06:10
Hi all,

Thank you for your information. However, I have read in www.askdavetaylor.com that: "I have heard at least one report of someone who bought an overseas game and then couldn't get it to run properly on his Sony PSP ..... if you have an early Sony PSP unit still running firmware 1.5 or similar, it might well be the case that your device is not regionally encoded".

Is that true? In this case, how about the PSP with firmware 2.60?

I have the PSP 2.60 from Thailand (region 3), and I plan to get the GTA:LCS from the EU (region 2). And I'm afraid that it will not work on my PSP. Please help me.

[sorry for my bad english]
Nguyen

.:PSP1.0:.
February 4th, 2006, 08:09
Hi all,

Thank you for your information. However, I have read in www.askdavetaylor.com that: "I have heard at least one report of someone who bought an overseas game and then couldn't get it to run properly on his Sony PSP ..... if you have an early Sony PSP unit still running firmware 1.5 or similar, it might well be the case that your device is not regionally encoded".

Is that true? In this case, how about the PSP with firmware 2.60?

Yeah but that could just be that the game the guy bought needed a certian firmware on the PSP to run that game itself.. example.. i have a v1.0 PSP a can't play Grand Theft Auto or Socom because those games requires me to upgrade my firmware to v2.0 or higher but the upgrade should be on the UMD anyway.. get it?

I have the PSP 2.60 from Thailand (region 3), and I plan to get the GTA:LCS from the EU (region 2). And I'm afraid that it will not work on my PSP. Please help me.

[sorry for my bad english]
Nguyen

You should'nt really have any problems in running GTA on your v2.6 only cos as stated above GTA only required a v2.0 firmware to run it.. as you have a v2.6 it should be fine and i'm sure many others here will agree with me.. i hope this helps you man..
P.S Grand Theft Auto: liberty city stories is EXCELLENT! ;)

vndnguyen
February 4th, 2006, 13:29
Hi PSP1.0

Thank you for quick reply. Your answer is very useful for me. It means there was not any region-locking feature with the game in the latest firmware 2.60.

Any other comment would be appreciated.

Nguyen

February 5th, 2006, 02:02
Thats pretty much right man.. Because the fact you have a PSP running the v2.6 firmware (v2.6 is the latest firmware) your able to run any PSP game currently on the market as they hav'nt yet released a PSP with v2.7 firmware (roumored to be on the way.. but only a roumor..) but until they release any new games which require you to have v2.7 or + firmware on your PSP your safe and also one of the many advantages in upgrading to v2.6.. the only type of region coding i can really think of is with the UMD movie which are coded meaning you can't view a movie bought in a japanese shop on a Australian PSP (different region coding) but get GTA for your v2.6 man as not only is it a great game but cos its really your only key in running homebrew on your v2.6.. Hope this helps you man..

P.S.. I'm a Nguyen too.. living in australia! :)

vndnguyen
February 5th, 2006, 04:08
hi PSP1.0

Glad that you are a Nguyen too. I guess that your nationality is VN.
Thanks for your support. I have 1 more question:

If there was the region-locking feature for the game (may be in the future), so where it should be realized? (e.g in the PSP firmware, or in the game itself???)

Nguyen

February 5th, 2006, 06:20
No problems man anything for a fellow brother and yes i am viet :)

Umm regarding your question.. Don't think there will ever be anything with region coding regarding the UMD games (who knows.. maybe) but more or less the PSP firmware itself, meaning we will be forever upgrading our PSP's to the latest firmwares for the newest features it enables us to have and enjoy and also the new firmware that the new games require.. Pitty cos if you really love homebrew on your v1.5 and wanna play GTA you'll need to upgrade to v2.0 or + :( but i got 3 so i might sacrifice 1 lol but at the moment there isnt alot of reasons for me to upgrade to 2.6 just yet.. I hope this helps you man.. ;)

vndnguyen
February 5th, 2006, 13:56
Hi PSP1.0

Once again thank u for yr quick reply. However it seems to be that you haven't understood my question. My question is: in the future, if Sony decide to implement region-locking for Game, so where this feature would be activated (in the new firmware, or in the new game)?

[sorry for my stupid english. In VN: nếu trong tương lai, Sony muốn áp dụng region-locking cho game thì tính năng này sẽ được kích hoạt ở đâu? kích hoạt ở trong firmware mới hay kích hoạt ở game mới?]

Nguyen

yaustar
February 5th, 2006, 15:48
No idea. My money will be on both in a new game and a new firmware. Reason being that the firmware has to check the region code and the game must have a region code to begin with.

February 6th, 2006, 06:58
Yeah i'd have to say on both game and firmware.. If i was brave enough to say "they'd never do this" then i would.. But i'm not hehe they could do the region coding thing in future to prevent forms of piracy etc which would equal lost profits for sony... Those sneaky suckers! ;)