PDA

View Full Version : Wii Media Centre Announced - Rumour ?

wraggster
May 4th, 2008, 11:06
Dciso has today announced that he his beta testing his Wii Midia a Media Centre for the Nintendo Wii, now without a release i cant confirm the details so ill take it as a rumour for now, but a juicy rumour at that:

After months of coding and porting and ripping and rewriting Wii Miidia as I like to call it is about to be released into the wild. I have a few people beta testing it now and helping me work out some bugs. Wii Miidia is something that many people I hope will enjoy as I put alot of time and effort into this project.

Wii Miidia as you can guess is a Media Center for the Nintendo Wii based off of XBMC. Since the Wii comes with it's own Weather Channel I had decided to strip the weather functions from Wii Miidia. There are still a few bugs that I am trying to work out but one of the best features this offers in my opinion is the ability to listen to Shoutcast Radio on the Wii. Right now this only supports streaming files and files stored on the SD Card, however since there is recent developments by SVPE I hope to be able to include USB Storage devices as well in the future.

Controls Are:

A = Play
B = Pause/Resume
- = Previous Song/Chapter
+ = Next Song/Chapter
Dpad Left = Rewind
Dpad Right = Fast Forward
Dpad Up = Change Aspect Ratio (NTSC/PAL/Wide/Standard)
Dpad Up + B = Zoom In
Dpad Down = Change Visual in Audio mode / Change Subtitle in DVD Mode
Dpad Down + B = Zoom Out
Home = Settings Menu
1 = Return to Main Menu
2 = Return Previous Menu
Power = Shutdown Wii

Wii Miidia will at first be released as .elf and will need to be ran via TP Hack, However the final version will come in .elf and as a channel for those who would like easy of access to the application. Well that is all for right now I hope to have this cleaned up and released for everyone in the next few days.

As soon as it is released we will have more on this subject.

jmf145
May 4th, 2008, 18:36
Cool, I have been waiting for some one to port XBMC to the Wii. (is this a port?)

iofthestorm
May 4th, 2008, 18:38
Don't know why anyone would make something like this up, so this is great! I just hope Nintendo doesn't send out an update that starts bricking Wiis with custom channels, although I guess according to Bushing they haven't done anything like that yet.

BlueCrab
May 4th, 2008, 19:59
I don't think that Nintendo would purposely brick Wiis with custom channels. That's not to say that some update wouldn't break them though (like a 1-2 using IOS37), but I severely doubt that Nintendo would brick anyone's Wii on purpose.

iofthestorm
May 4th, 2008, 20:18
I don't think that Nintendo would purposely brick Wiis with custom channels. That's not to say that some update wouldn't break them though (like a 1-2 using IOS37), but I severely doubt that Nintendo would brick anyone's Wii on purpose.

Yeah, that's why I was careful not to say that I hope Nintendo doesn't brick consoles with homebrew channels. Nintendo isn't going to try to brick homebrewed Wiis, it's just that they might inadvertently happen due to some update. However, it seems like we're safe for the time being since according to Bushing's blog post IOS37 doesn't seem to cause bricking, as far as they can tell. Me, I'm just waiting on the sidelines until Bushing & co release their final version of the homebrew channel, because I don't really trust anyone else to do it right ;).

dCiSo
May 5th, 2008, 16:16
Cool, I have been waiting for some one to port XBMC to the Wii. (is this a port?)

No this is not a full port of XBMC. It is more like XBMC meets MFE. I was inspired by XBMC but just could not get everything I wanted to port of to the Wii so I had to do a lot of things in alot of places in order to get it working so to speak. I am still having issues with some streaming but it is getting worked out and is the only thing preventing the public release at the moment.

Unlike XBMC the Skins and GUI of Wii Miidia are not able to be customized at this time, but it is something I would like to offer in a later release but we will see what happens there.

R4mbo
May 7th, 2008, 10:45
This would be awesome!
Yeah... Nintendo cant take what we currently have.. we dont NEED to update the Firmware... maybe someday it will be like on the PSP... Custom Firmwares and stuff :)

So, it will be possible to finally watch DvD's on the Wii???