PDA

View Full Version : Pandora's Emulators - What Will Work And What Won't

wraggster
May 5th, 2008, 01:48
Prophet (http://www.gp32x.com/board/index.php?act=ST&f=62&t=41897) (ex newsposter on many emulation sites) posted a rather interesting post for newcomers to the Pandora and should be interesting to what can be overcomed in the future.

As more people around the world discover the Pandora, we're likely to get many requests for emulators. This topic is designed to clarify what sort of emulators are likely to work very well on Pandora, what sort probably won't, and what *might* happen (depending on many variables).

Defining terms: By "work well" I mean full speed emulation with full sound and very little if any frame skipping at all. By "work decently" I mean reasonably playable but possibly without sound and/or with some frame skipping. These are all speculative! By "NOT work well" I mean too slow or incomplete to be considered truly playable. Again, this is speculative!

NOTE: Just because you see a system on this list DOES NOT mean it will definitely have an emulator on the Pandora. DO NOT EXPECT there to be emulators for everything on this list, even if it's in the "should work well" group. The systems in this list are only there as a guide.

THIS IS NOT A LIST OF EMULATORS BEING WORKED ON! EVERYTHING HERE SHOULD BE REGARDED AS SPECULATION TO SOME DEGREE!

Emulators that could work well on Pandora:

8bit consoles and computers including (but not limited to)
NES/GB
SMS/GG
Atari 2600/5200/7800
Colecovision
Intellivision
Vectrex
Atari 800/XL
Commodore 64
Spectrum
Arcade games from the 70's and 80's (i.e. MAME etc.)
+ various other systems from that era

16bit consoles and computers including (but not limited to):
SNES
Gameboy Color
Genesis/Sega CD
Turbografx-16/PC-Engine/CD-ROM (technically an 8bit system but eh...)
Amiga
Atari ST
Atari Lynx
X68000 (Japanese computer with arcade quality graphics)
286 (and possibly 386) PC's via DOSbox
NeoGeo AES/MVS
NeoGeo Pocket (it actually has a 16bit CPU)
Arcade games from late 80's - 90's (i.e. CPS1/2, FBA, MAME etc.)

32bit consoles and computers including (but not limited to):
Playstation (PSX/PS1)
Gameboy Advance
Arcade games (some MAME games using 32bit CPU's i.e. PSX based)

Emulators that MIGHT work decently on Pandora (these are all speculative!):

Nintendo 64
Sega 32X
Atari Jaguar ("bit" level is arguable, but it's a 32bit era sysyem)
3DO

Emulators that will NOT work well on Pandora (these are all speculative!):

Nintendo DS (might eventually move into the "work decently" tier, time will tell.)
Sega Saturn (altho 32bit, it's very messy hardware to emulate)
Playstation 2
XBox
Gamecube
PSP
486 based PC's and higher
Current mainstream consoles (Wii, PS3, 360 etc.)

These lists are preliminary and speculative. But hopefully they give some idea of what will likely be possible or not. As always in emulation, you never know what some brilliant dev will do in the future, but it's good to have a sense of proportion. Remember, Pandora is very powerful (easily surpassing all current handheld game devices) but it's not a miracle machine.

Any mistakes or suggestions for additions/changes, please post below!

And remember:

THIS LIST IS SPECULATIVE - do NOT expect to see emulators for every system in the list!

agree or disagree via comments

BastarB
May 5th, 2008, 10:59
"16bit consoles and computers including (but not limited to):
SNES
Gameboy Color
Genesis/Sega CD"

The Gameboy Color isn't 16-bits, it's 8-bits =P

khalid-neo
May 8th, 2008, 00:45
strange the whole website is about dreamcast (DCemu.co.uk) and you dont mention the the dreamcast emulation .

JKKDARK
May 8th, 2008, 01:14
Obviously the Dreamcast should go with PS2, GC, etc.

khalid-neo
May 8th, 2008, 11:57
it should be mentioned at the first place

yaustar
May 8th, 2008, 18:34
strange the whole website is about dreamcast (DCemu.co.uk) and you dont mention the the dreamcast emulation .
It is a link to a newspost on a another site hence the hyperlink.

sukhi-2006
May 9th, 2008, 04:17
I've read enough about this cool handheld system.
This system needs full speed psx and nintendo 64 emulators that will be fine, if the system can handle any other emulator that will be great, I'm definetely going to buy one the system has lot of potential.

Tyr
May 12th, 2008, 11:12
I wonder how well the pc-fx part of mednafen would run on the Pandora , that would definitely be interesting to see.

pkmaximum
May 14th, 2008, 23:46
I'm just hoping on n64 =)

kharaboudjan
May 16th, 2008, 22:13
well, the only thing pandora will have more than the psp is N64 emulation. and it is not even 100 % sure that pandora will emulate it better than the psp. it will probably play PSX games worse than the psp becuz the pc dont play the PSX games like the psp does :D

well, the amiga emulator will probably be better on the pandora as well

JKKDARK
May 16th, 2008, 22:19
pc dont play the PSX games like the psp does
Yes, it does. And even better ;)

Sterist
May 18th, 2008, 21:52
what kind of chipset was the pandora blessed with?

regardless of this question, i believe the n64 would run at roughly 120-150% speed at 900mHz, at the very minimal. SM64 might get up to 200%+

and at this rate, ps2 emulation may be possible on the pandora's successor

edit: the main core is ARM, which will work wonders for underclocking for full speed on GBA. DS.... very likely, only problems would be speed and # of screens

this wouldn't help at all with n64 though....

pkmaximum
May 21st, 2008, 06:22
Not to mention, will there be a coder up to the task to make a Nintendo 64 emulator for the Pandora? Time will tell =/

kjetil1991
July 30th, 2008, 15:31
if this could emulate gamecube that would rock =D playing metroid prime and then just put it in my pocket =P

Takean
August 18th, 2008, 15:30
I really would only be interested in it if it could run ps2 full speed. A handheld ps2 would be great...but that may be years from us I guess :(

JKKDARK
August 18th, 2008, 18:02
They need a beast for emulating the PS2, don't expect it on the Pandora.

Eviltaco64
August 18th, 2008, 18:10
Well, the Pandora has specs similar to Xbox, which ran most N64 games fine with 64MB ram and roms ran excellent if you added another 64MB ram. And Pandora has about 128MB, right?