PDA

View Full Version : Forbes: GTA IV poses threat to Wii

wraggster
May 5th, 2008, 19:13
Someone's knocking on Nintendo's door, and he just drove through seven red lights in a hijacked car with a shotgun in tow to get there. Forbes has published a piece on how Grand Theft Auto IV's success threatens the Nintendo Wii since the console, you know, doesn't have the game. In fact, that's all the article seems to be saying: the Wii is doing great, but because it doesn't have GTA IV, that money-printing success might be at a halt.

While that's how the article is framed, the direction seems to split off from there, with the author talking about GTA IV's success juxtaposed with complaints about the Wii's hardware, online and abundance of shovelware -- he even bring up Chris Heck's duct tape rant. Said the article, "The problem is, it could get tougher and tougher to go the other way. It's hard to imagine how the sprawling world of Grand Theft Auto IV--which already taxes the multicore processors powering the XBox and Playstation--could be recreated on the Wii."

We're not saying Nintendo doesn't have problems with shovelware or appealing to the more hardcore gamer crowd, but we also think the way the article presents its case makes the GTA IV issue feel a little taped on. If the UK Wii Fit launch is any indication, Nintendo's money train is still right on track.

http://www.joystiq.com/2008/05/05/forbes-gta-iv-poses-threat-to-wii/

gutbub
May 5th, 2008, 20:53
Wow, I think the real threat is people who are as retarded as this guy. Seriously, does anybody know of a system that was discontinued because one game was not made for that system? Also, last time I checked, Nintendo's whole strategy for this generation is to appeal to all ages and both sexes, not just teenage dudes. There are more people, at least in the U.S., who would rather not play or own GTA IV. They're known as adults.

On a side, you people with Xbox 360 or PS3 are lucky jerks, I won't get to play GTA IV until it comes out for PC.

ICE
May 5th, 2008, 20:56
Would I like to play GTA 4? Yes. Am I getting rid of my Wii to get a PS3 and GTA 4? No. Neither is any other Wii owner.

JKKDARK
May 5th, 2008, 21:04
Even without GTA4, the Wii still sell a lot more than PS3 and 360.

-Xandu-
May 5th, 2008, 21:24
Wow, I think the real threat is people who are as retarded as this guy. Seriously, does anybody know of a system that was discontinued because one game was not made for that system? Also, last time I checked, Nintendo's whole strategy for this generation is to appeal to all ages and both sexes, not just teenage dudes. There are more people, at least in the U.S., who would rather not play or own GTA IV. They're known as adults.

On a side, you people with Xbox 360 or PS3 are lucky jerks, I won't get to play GTA IV until it comes out for PC.

He never said discontinued.. And yeah I think Wii sales are going to decrease due to GTA IV. PS3 and X360 sales will definitely increase.

sappo
May 5th, 2008, 21:38
GTA IV is the fad of the moment. After all the games who want it will have bought it, it will fade.

Wii will not. Wii is refreshing and new everytime, so this guy is PLAINLY WRONG.

Rocksil
May 5th, 2008, 21:49
The console which is going to gain most sales form the new GTAIV is the Xbox360 due to da fact its almost half the price to get compared to the PS3

Nikolaos
May 5th, 2008, 23:14
The console which is going to gain most sales form the new GTAIV is the Xbox360 due to da fact its almost half the price to get compared to the PS3

Where the hell do you live?

Mr Corky
May 6th, 2008, 00:54
Wii's arnt that great, I don't think even the 360 can play GTA4 the way PS3 can.

maxipower90
May 6th, 2008, 01:08
wait is this ment to be new news.. is it just me or has there been no GTA on nintendo home consoles? what changes. IMO gta 4 is a step back in the series anyway, San Andres felt so good playing and then they changed it, however its a new engine so any spin of like how vice city and san andreas were to GTA 3 will sound promising therefore in short GTA 4 was rather disappointing and with all the hype.. its not that big a deal

Veskgar
May 6th, 2008, 02:45
I'm definitely fed up with the shovelware. On both the Wii and the DS Lite. The Wii has some great games but that is thanks to Nintendo. All first party. Why Nintendo doesn't have more stringent quality assurance for their popular game machines is beyond me. Sure, there is a sucker born every minute and some people will buy anything..... however, Nintendo could be hurt in the long-run if the shovelware keeps getting out of hand.

osgeld
May 6th, 2008, 03:38
GTA IV is the fad of the moment. After all the games who want it will have bought it, it will fade.

Wii will not. Wii is refreshing and new everytime, so this guy is PLAINLY WRONG.

wii is a fad too, just a longer one, its a juiced up gamecube with a modern version of a power glove, and its fun but it leaves alot needing more, most of the wii owners i know wouldnt give theirs up, but they hardly play them anymore

____anders____
May 6th, 2008, 07:29
Even without GTA4, the Wii still sell a lot more than PS3 and 360.

i second that, the wii sells like hell without that major hit release.
but i still want it though;)

Gene
May 6th, 2008, 08:51
Most people that buy wiis' buy them for games like Mario Kart and ssbb, so I doubt GTA4 could hurt sales that bad. It'll be something like what COD4 did. It boosted Ps3 and 360 sales but had little to no impact on wii sales, because wiis are for a more casual, less mature audience. Mature in the sense of adult oriented ratings.

vicious1988
May 6th, 2008, 13:40
I wasn't too impressed w/ GTA IV, of course I played it on a shitty 360 :p . However, I will down...I mean purchase the game from my local video entertainment retailer when it comes to PC.

By the way, maxipower, you are correct. No GTA for Nintendo consoles. But the GBA had the GTA 1, albeit w/o profanity and sexual references.

DessyDago
May 6th, 2008, 18:14
Wii's arnt that great, I don't think even the 360 can play GTA4 the way PS3 can.

yep your right thats why the ps3 outputs it at a lower resolution then upscales it for you. 640p I believe it or something like that while the 360 is 720p or something close to that number. The ps3 is a beast, but its limit factor is that rsx graphics card that is well last gen (something like half the ram and same design as a 7950gt). However the ps3 can handle better draw distances and will normally be smoother when driving a vehicle fast.

I can't see this hurting wii sales. Most people who are buying the wii are buying it to have as another console with their 360/ps3 or only want a wii. Just wish the wii would get some new games besides ports. You can add me to the wii fan who wants more games but wouldn't sale the system.

Triv1um
May 6th, 2008, 18:24
I don't think even the 360 can play GTA4 the way PS3 can.

To be honest, I own the PS3 version and have played the 360 one alot.

The difference isnt enough to note. They are just as great on both console, no winner on this one.

Joe88
May 8th, 2008, 17:29
To be honest, I own the PS3 version and have played the 360 one alot.

The difference isnt enough to note. They are just as great on both console, no winner on this one.

fairly the same
though ps3 ver = better gfx (sharper images) + better controls

360 ver = exclusive DLC + better online