PDA

View Full Version : [WIP] M33.1337 Custom PSP Firmware: XMB Lite, PSP/PS3 on the NDS

wraggster
May 5th, 2008, 20:23
A curious project from Soulanger (http://forum.palib.info/index.php?topic=4458.0)

As some of you may know Ive been working for an NDS Homebrew engine. After a while I finally finished the basics of the engine.
I wanted a tech demo for it and soo I thought of this. I once abandoned this project but now I got a great engine for it to run with.

Heres my new project. Today's the day I finally decided to show it the community.
So may I?

M33.1337 Custom PSP Firmware: XMB Lite

Currently I've been giving my work on the ps3 xmb theme. Both share the same engine. Im aware of the graphical errors, but remember this is only an early build. I'm currently fixing the glitches. Like you guys Im very eager to release it.

Features:
A clone of Sony's XMB
100% fully customizable
Play movies in loading, splash, etc
Organize files/images/homebrew/apps/games
Runs NDS files
Stylus/pad controlled
(Tentative) IRC/Email checker
(Tentative) Flashable-- overwrite the official firmware in place for this; i might not continue though its too dangerous
(Tentative) Runs all known movie file for the nds

Screen Via Comments - No Release Yet

wraggster
May 5th, 2008, 20:23
http://img364.imageshack.us/img364/9448/psp2wq6.png

DarthPaul
May 5th, 2008, 20:30
What the hell? I thought it was a new M33 for a moment. Nice, though.

cas2007
May 5th, 2008, 20:31
lol looks funny

talonreaper
May 5th, 2008, 21:04
So... it's basically a new DSOrganize? (not trying to put down, this has greater potential) You know, if you think about it, A PSP "main menu and file format emulator" would be pretty nifty and not too hard to do...

Looking forward to this! '')

jaws365
May 5th, 2008, 21:15
Looking forward to this! I hope it will support more music formats than the real XMB :D

mr game porter
May 5th, 2008, 21:22
it seems legit, looking forward for a release.

Jeric
May 5th, 2008, 22:54
Wait what?

*is confused*

Danief
May 5th, 2008, 23:58
could i still run the ds firmware?

Junixx
May 6th, 2008, 00:57
I hope this can replace the original firmware ;) but with still retaining all the features of the original (meaning WiFi still working and WFC and stuff)

pspmodel1001
May 6th, 2008, 03:00
Wait a minute, Wha?

Ohh, Love to have it!!

spinal_cord
May 6th, 2008, 06:35
I've been following this for a while now. As far as I can tell, you can not replace the ds firmware with it. It is a replacement menu for flash cards, which mostly only loads homebrew, although I think on TTDS it will load commercial backups (when certain conditions are met). There are still a couple of bug to be ironed out before the first release, but I'm surprised it took wraggy so long to report it.
I for one can wait to try it out and see how well it compares to the other homebrew menus.

kcajblue
May 6th, 2008, 07:03
lol, i was confused as hell when i read the title.

soulanger
May 6th, 2008, 09:42
haha.. awesome :D :rofl:
thanks dcemu. you guys cant believe how happy I am. :D i love you dcemu!

but I'm surprised it took wraggy so long to report it.
ya I cant believe it too. I was spreading this cookie like a disease on april 1. (i wanted it to look fake) :P

lol, i was confused as hell when i read the title.
thats my title for you. :) anticipators call it XMBlite. planning to change the name though. In the end this would surpass being an xmbclone

edit: I plucked out the vids and screens from the palib thread, so that I could replace them with new ones.
For those who wanna see the old footages:

PSP theme (very old build): http://youtube.com/watch?v=SPwVmupBgwQ
PS3 theme : http://youtube.com/watch?v=Aaz7mNtnKB4

Rocksil
May 6th, 2008, 10:39
meh if its able to use wpa instead of wep then it might be the best firware for the ds

Jeric
May 6th, 2008, 13:09
Its not alot of room to work with, but it would be nice to have a firmare overhaul that doesn't, you know, kill the ds.

cYb0n
May 6th, 2008, 14:47
Please, make it clear to me:

I have a SuperCard MiniSD (Supercard SD) and a SuperKey. So, if I put these two cards into my DS and turn the DS on, I see this boring menu. I can load .nds, .dsq (patched SuperCard DS Games), .gba, .gb, .nes and so on. Will THIS program replace this menu? Or is it a homebrew app, like MoonShell or DSOrganize? Or do I have to flash my DS System with it? Just like with FlashMe v8? I'm confused, please make it clear to me!

BTW, is it able to load .dsq files? It would be nice if I could still convert the games into this format. Otherwise it takes my DS a long time to load the game... :(

Oh, one more question I'd like to add: Could you try to build in a transfer-system? So we can send files via WiFi to other NDS systems? Or maybe also PSP? That would be sooo nice, I'd be the first one to download it ^^

soulanger
May 6th, 2008, 15:25
Are familiar you with Spinal's DSision/iMenu? Its very inspired by that. It simply enables your cart to have a better menu.

Oh, one more question I'd like to add: Could you try to build in a transfer-system? So we can send files via WiFi to other NDS systems?..... ........ That would be sooo nice, I'd be the first one to download it ^^
DS2DS. This thing could do more than that. :) Sorry but Im going to hide it for now.

cYb0n
May 6th, 2008, 15:45
Are familiar you with Spinal's DSision/iMenu? Its very inspired by that. It simply enables your cart to have a better menu.

DS2DS. This thing could do more than that. :) Sorry but Im going to hide it for now.

Oh, that sounds really good ^^ but could you please answer my question? My English isn't very good, sorry -.-'

Akoi Meexx
May 6th, 2008, 15:55
I hope this can replace the original firmware ;) but with still retaining all the features of the original (meaning WiFi still working and WFC and stuff)

Personally, I wouldn't mind just having this as an nds executable set to autoload on whatever flavour of flash cart you have. Easier than worrying about flashing the firmware and having to short SL-1.

soulanger
May 6th, 2008, 16:13
cYB0n whats you question. if its about dsq I dont think I know that format. :?

Personally, I wouldn't mind just having this as an nds executable set to autoload on whatever flavour of flash cart you have. Easier than worrying about flashing the firmware and having to short SL-1.

seconded :(
I decided not to continue with flashing as I might get responsible for bricked DSs and also I dont have a 2nd ds to test it with.

acn010
May 6th, 2008, 16:23
interesting hope this goes well

Akoi Meexx
May 6th, 2008, 18:36
cYB0n whats you question. if its about dsq I dont think I know that format. :?

seconded :(
I decided not to continue with flashing as I might get responsible for bricked DSs and also I dont have a 2nd ds to test it with.

Glad to hear. I'd love to help test if you release it soon, I have 2 Cyclo DS Evolutions (One old hardware, one new), and an AceKard 2.

spinal_cord
May 6th, 2008, 19:32
Oh, that sounds really good ^^ but could you please answer my question? My English isn't very good, sorry -.-'

This menu CAN replace the menu of your card, depending on how your card's menu works. If you can set a .nds application to run automatically, then you can use this as the default application and use it to load your other homebrew applications.

da_head
May 6th, 2008, 19:57
This menu CAN replace the menu of your card, depending on how your card's menu works. If you can set a .nds application to run automatically, then you can use this as the default application and use it to load your other homebrew applications.

how do you get a nds file to run automatically on a r4? o.O

Akoi Meexx
May 6th, 2008, 20:33
how do you get a nds file to run automatically on a r4? o.O
You buy a CycloDS Evo. <.<

Alternatively, name an nds file DEFAULT.NDS (all caps) and put it in the root of your card for the R4.

bobtheninjaoffood
May 6th, 2008, 20:40
Can the SuperCard lite have a bootup file? I know there was a firmware patch a while back, but it was an older firmware. Is it possible to do this on the new firmware? Also, does this use real PSP files like .rco and .prx files? That would be awesome. I could use my custom wave and everything.

da_head
May 6th, 2008, 20:58
You buy a CycloDS Evo. <.<

Alternatively, name an nds file DEFAULT.NDS (all caps) and put it in the root of your card for the R4.

why would i buy a new card when my r4 is perfectly functional? just to let you know, i bought the r4 when it just came out, not after it got popular. at its time, it was cheap, and the best of its class. tru the cyclo is better now, but the r4 serves my purpose well. btw, thanks for the tip.

Akoi Meexx
May 6th, 2008, 21:04
why would i buy a new card when my r4 is perfectly functional? just to let you know, i bought the r4 when it just came out, not after it got popular. at its time, it was cheap, and the best of its class. tru the cyclo is better now, but the r4 serves my purpose well. btw, thanks for the tip.

Yeah, I bought the R4 around the same time. The quality was sub-par, and the support was horrific. Several friends have had the same issue, and with shoddy Customer Service I opted to drop them like a ton of bricks. But still, awesome that yours works and all. :)

Edit: Bob, don't quote me on this, but I doubt it. Those files are specifically designed for the PSP. At the very least, you'd have to knock down the quality to keep performance from dropping.

spinal_cord
May 6th, 2008, 21:44
To autoload on R4, I think you name the file autorun.nds or default.nds, can't remember, and place it in the root of your card.

urherenow
May 6th, 2008, 22:15
meh if its able to use wpa instead of wep then it might be the best firware for the ds

AFAIK, the NDS HARDWARE cannot handle wpa. To make a software to force it would either reduce system sources to a level that wouldn't allow NDS games to play correctly or physically burn out the wifi chipset... or both.

NDS cannot do WPA. Get over it.

juiceface
May 6th, 2008, 23:27
Yea, not including better encryption options was a huge mistake by the big N, i use no networking features on the DS because using WEP is like using a standard door lock. The door can easily be kicked down, and keeps only an honest man out. It is basically useless at this point.

Though i have been over this fact for a while someone could emulate WPA,AES etc through software; which is possible. (but probably not likely)

soulanger
May 7th, 2008, 04:54
sorry but emulation of WPA is impossible. :(

well because evo kicks ass in features(i want one!). :) also this cannot play commercial games on r4. :( there is still no way to do so. to auto play just rename the .ds on your root.

As for the lower quality, I doesnt seem that low. It lacks anti aliasing and texture with different alphas I give you that, but so far it looks really good.

again if you missed it:

PSP theme (very old build): http://youtube.com/watch?v=SPwVmupBgwQ
PS3 theme : http://youtube.com/watch?v=Aaz7mNtnKB4

jaws365
May 7th, 2008, 17:36
I have TTDS, so this is yet worhless for me then... :(

DanTheManMS
May 8th, 2008, 01:12
Can the SuperCard lite have a bootup file? I know there was a firmware patch a while back, but it was an older firmware. Is it possible to do this on the new firmware?

Aside from that old firmware hack, this is not possible to do on slot-2 Supercards. Thus you'd have to launch this menu from the Supercard menu and then launch your homebrew apps from there, which would be rather silly to do. I also highly doubt this menu could handle the DSQ file format, so you'd still need the original Supercard menu for loading those.

soulanger
May 8th, 2008, 03:21
@jaws365: why is it worthless? I believe ttds would have the perfect compatibility for this, because I use my ttds for testing.

As for SuperCard I don't know about compatibility cause I dont have a SC to test it with

bobtheninjaoffood
May 9th, 2008, 02:50
Support for the slot-2 SuperCard's .dsq files would be nice. The SC menu sucks.

soulanger
May 9th, 2008, 16:49
Im not sure, but currently I alot wants SC compatibility. I also have someone who has SC. :-\

soulanger
May 14th, 2008, 10:33
For those who are interested in this homebrew. I just want to confirm that it is making progress and nearly avaible for close beta testing.

da_head
May 14th, 2008, 20:50
and how do we get in on this "closed" beta?

Game King 1555
May 20th, 2008, 06:40
Can this completely replace a flash carts firmware? I hate the way my Max Media Player/Dock(MMP/MMD) loads things and how the menu looks. And if it can, can you make one for the Max Media Player/Dock please ^_^ and yes I will test that version if you make one. Also if you see this and you have made one send the file to my E-mail: [email protected]