PDA

View Full Version : CaSTaway/PSP v005 released!

skeezix
September 22nd, 2005, 04:57
Nab it here:

http://www.codejedi.com/castaway/

Scaling modes, throttling, and more

jeff

I new you guys missed your fix!

PS: If someone can make and test a 1.0 eboot, mail it over to me to upload to my site!

wraggster
September 22nd, 2005, 07:10
awesome work, off to post now :)

laxer3a
September 22nd, 2005, 14:40
Hi,

I dont know how to make a 1.0 eboot from 1.5
In my case when I use the pspdev I directly got an 1.0.

Anyway, if somebody could tell skeezix how to make a 1.0, so he could release both 1.0 and 1.5 version at the same time that would be great.
Could not test version 4.

EDIT : Oupps... zip on the site seems to include 1.0!!!
Sorry for stupid comment guyz.
Keep up the good work.

parabolee
September 22nd, 2005, 14:48
This is another great release. havn't tested the 250 plus disks yet but the scalling options are nice, a few games actually look nicer without smoothing.

Great work Skeezix!

gaz666
September 22nd, 2005, 15:27
Sorry if this is obvious but I've been trying for hours to sort this....
I have the uk 1.02 tos image,I have renamed it to tos.rom but it wont show up once the emulator is running.I've got a 1.0 version psp so I am trying the 3.0b version of castaway.I'm putting an unzipped image of the tos file in the atari st folder but no joy.I have both folders seperate on my system under psp/game.Any ideas please as I need to play IK+ badly :confused:

parabolee
September 22nd, 2005, 15:55
Well first things first go grab the latest version (it has a 1.0 version attached), then triple chek the tos.rom is named correctly and not tos.rom.rom (as sometimes happens). Then if that doesn't work try another version of the tos.

If still no go, post here again and I'll help you figure it out.

skeezix
September 22nd, 2005, 16:10
With regards to 1.0 versions.. theres some tools to convert, but I don't like the idea of convert-and-hope, though it likely works.. I like to 'know' it works by having someone test it, who has a 1.0 PSP :) Perhaps I should just include a 1.0 and 'hope for the best' normally..

laxer -- hopefully I'll get Hatari working nicely soon as well; I've got it working 'nearly' now, and it handles overscan much better, though sync-scrolling and such often throws it off still :)

jeff

gaz666
September 22nd, 2005, 16:10
Thanks for the info about the new version,still no joy though....

I have the tos.rom in the same directory as the games,does it need to be in its own subfolder.Or maybe it should be tos.rom(full stop) or does caps make a difference?TOS.ROM?

I'm thinking its maybe the way I am naming the image,possibly missing a space or full stop or something (clutching at straws I think :) )

I can get other versions of the tos image-do you know which others work?

Really appreciate your help.

skeezix
September 22nd, 2005, 16:23
The TOS rom never shows up in the listing, but its needed for anything useful to occur. ie: Just having it present, and then start up the emulation, and you'll get the green GEM up. The emu will bitch if the TOS isn't present, however, so you know right away.

It goes in the same place as the games (since it has a different file extension, it doesn't hurt.)

Case shouldn't matter, but try making it "tos.rom" to be safe.. you never know if ToS.RoM works :P

Make sure its unzipped..

jeff

parabolee
September 22nd, 2005, 16:24
The TOS should be all lower case - tos.rom

Check you PM's I have an idea.

skeezix
September 22nd, 2005, 16:32
One friend noted that if the files are marked read-only they may not work.

jeff

Mr.Modem
September 22nd, 2005, 17:45
Hey Skeezix, does Sensible Soccer work in Hatari?

skeezix
September 22nd, 2005, 20:52
I don't recall though I'll find out soon enough :P

jeff

ataribob
September 23rd, 2005, 03:52
Only problem have the roms and tos.rom in the st folder.
run the emulator and it finds the 3 games no prob.
what button do i hit.
If i hit any it will say no disk found and reset to the ST system

skeezix
September 23rd, 2005, 12:58
The instructions are usually listed in the screens. ie: It seems a lot of emus (that I tried) followed the idea that circle does things, and cross/X backs out, though I might've been on crack. So use Circle to pick a disk, for instance.. as it says on the menu :P

jeff

ataribob
September 23rd, 2005, 20:16
Thanks
all i had to do is load the disk first.

watoto
September 23rd, 2005, 20:55
hey,great work!along with games,i've been trying out music apps,like midi apps and trackers.i had no real success,though.

i wanted to know,are midi apps and trackers supposed to work or not\not yet?or do i need special drivers etc. for them?

skeezix
September 23rd, 2005, 21:10
Well, obviously the MIDI apps won't be of much use since theres no MIDI ports on a PSP ;) Further, Cubase and Notator generally require high res only.. I don't recall if I set up high res mode on this build.

Many trackers were made by demo crews and as such are too 'evil' internally to run under a lot of emus, including the emu core currently used. But try later, as i'm working on additional emu cores. Still, a lot of demos and trackers may be 'too much'. (They're usually much more complex than real games!)

Some trackers would be written more normally and should work fine. ie: TCB Tracker is likely all demo'd out, but others may not be.

I know Quartet works okay (or did at some point), though its not strictly a tracker per se since it doesn't do mod files.. it uses music notation and its own file format.

jeff

sh3-rg
October 2nd, 2005, 00:53
skeezix, looking forward to hatari stuff... castaway is a good emu for simple stuff, but i need to be able to have demos runnable... and rg games, too :)

skeezix
October 2nd, 2005, 18:41
I've got hatari pseudo-working, but not had time to wrap a gui on it and make it actually work nicely. I'm getting there :)

'rg' games?

hatari does run more of the demos, but not all :)

jeff

lemming71
October 13th, 2005, 01:40
my tos.rom is in games-Folder. When i started the emu i got the File-Selector. After selecting and insrting Disc, the Emu hangs completly (only removing the Battery will help). Same with pressing select or start -> the emu hangs...

Help?

Runs on 1.50. Tried to xopy the folders directly and with SeiPSP, no succes!

skeezix
October 13th, 2005, 03:26
Does it say something about not finding the tos.rom and thus not working right?

Make sure its in the AtariST directory and named exactly right.

jeff

lemming71
October 13th, 2005, 08:17
Hi
itīs named exactly right, and no: the EMu hangs immediately after inserting a disc or pressing select/starrt, no msg. because of a missing tos.rom

Amiga
October 13th, 2005, 19:32
J:\PSP\GAME\ATARI_ST is that how your directory tree is,with all your games in and the TOS rom?

skeezix
October 14th, 2005, 05:08
If you get no 'missing TOS' warning, then perhaps its just a bad TOS; make sure its unzipped :) Try TOS 1.02 US for best results, but many others will work; but don't try TOS2 or TOS3 or the like. Perhaps I should test TOS version and emit a warning if incompatible..

jeff

ataribob
October 16th, 2005, 03:07
CaSTawayPSP%
CaSTawayPSP
ATARI_ST

Are All 3 folders named Right

indstr
December 14th, 2005, 19:24
Well, obviously the MIDI apps won't be of much use since theres no MIDI ports on a PSP ;) Further, Cubase and Notator generally require high res only.. I don't recall if I set up high res mode on this build.

Many trackers were made by demo crews and as such are too 'evil' internally to run under a lot of emus, including the emu core currently used. But try later, as i'm working on additional emu cores. Still, a lot of demos and trackers may be 'too much'. (They're usually much more complex than real games!)

Some trackers would be written more normally and should work fine. ie: TCB Tracker is likely all demo'd out, but others may not be.

I know Quartet works okay (or did at some point), though its not strictly a tracker per se since it doesn't do mod files.. it uses music notation and its own file format.

jeff

did anybody ever find out if ANY trackers work in this emulator? it would be amazing to have a mod tracker on psp! i really need a music creation tool on the road

skeezix
December 14th, 2005, 19:40
A few people wrote to me noting that a number of tracks worked okay, but sound was a little hissy or poppy due to my shitty sound drivers :)

Its been crazy busy the last month or so and so Iv'e not done updates, but I may do some updates in the next few weeks..

jeff

sfaok
December 16th, 2005, 19:35
Been playing around with this emu past few days and does it have a tendency to freeze up the PSP with any of you guys ? I'm getting quite a few lock-ups when just testing games out on it and have to hard-reset the PSP.

Could it be down to the tos.rom I'm using or is stability a known issue with this version of the emu ?

On another note, its cool to be able to play stuff like Operation Stealth on it after all these years; loved that game, though never did manage to finish it :)

skeezix
December 16th, 2005, 19:40
Some games cause a freeze .. not a perfect emulation, though I find many of the freezes are when it runs certain games after already having run certain others.. ie: the 'reset' isn't quite correct in my code I think, so that it buggers things up. (Most notable is after you've been through a few reset+games, the joystick or mouse stops responding. But reboot the PSP and fire the game up and it works fine.)

So a few bugs still in there :)

jeff

sfaok
December 17th, 2005, 21:39
Curiously, the first 5 or so games I tried out the emu wasn't very stable. Found another site with disc images aplenty and have had relatively few crashes. Small bugs aside this is an excellent emu btw, reliving my childhood again with it :)

One question though, is there any way to turn off the database ? Noticed that with longer titled disc images that it runs over onto the database info, making it look a mess.

skeezix
December 18th, 2005, 02:07
heh, yeah, you have to use good disk images for sure :) Some cracks are better than others, too, so one version may work and another doesn't .. its emu speed over perfection in this case :)

You can't really disable the database but even whacky entries shouldn't get under foot I imagine..

/me hopes to fire up a bunch of oldies he never saw back in the day.. just heard there was a Dizzy game for the ST :P

jeff

MrJolly
January 21st, 2006, 21:33
Many thanks for a great emulator. Been playing Stunt Car Racer for the past hour :)

oldgit
January 22nd, 2006, 13:30
Anyone know how to run castaway on the eBoot loader

MGFox
January 27th, 2006, 23:30
This project/homebrew/emulator what ever it is, has been unstickied. It has been unstickied because it is either an old release or has not seen an update in ages and is simply taking up space being stickied on the first page.

If the creator has a new update please post the new update in our submit news section or if you have already been granted the power post it directly in the PSP news section. Hell you can even post it in here and we'll re-sticky it because it will be considered an on-going/updated project.

Thanks

~PSP MODS

sroon
April 3rd, 2006, 17:35
Yes!!

skeezix
April 3rd, 2006, 21:59
The sad truth is I ended up buying a game and updating firmware to 2.6 as a result, which makes things very unpleasant (unless someone buys me a homebrew-only PSP ;) to work on..

So I hope to make sure the emu works in 2.60, but haven't had a lot of time :)

jeff

tophead420
May 2nd, 2006, 17:18
im on 2.6 n wen i try to play this emu it says sumtin like it can only be run from ms0:/psp/game atari_st/so im taking it that this dont work on 2,6 well cant w8 till it does

skeezix
May 2nd, 2006, 18:04
im on 2.6 n wen i try to play this emu it says sumtin like it can only be run from ms0:/psp/game atari_st/so im taking it that this dont work on 2,6 well cant w8 till it does

Should work; due to the KXploit needs theres two binaries.. so just make sure to run the one from the ATARI_ST folder and should be good to go.

jeff

wraggster
May 2nd, 2006, 18:11
for a minute there i thought we had some news of a new PSP Castaway :)

skeezix
May 2nd, 2006, 18:21
Real life has kicked me in the nards quite heavily the last couple of months; I do think about updating it as I've got some fixes but I'm rather annoyed by Sony .. shoudl we devs keep supporting the platform that they keep pissing on? ie: Should I invest hours and hours of time, to fight with them when they don't want me to? Its a pretty horrid use of time :/ (ie: I work 60-80 hours a week, so I when I get a night free and then spend 2 hours figuring out what Sony has pissed on :)

I'm up to 2.6 now myself, so life is bad. Really, I need to get another PSP thats perma 1.50 but I've got no budget for such extravagences.

I'm worried that once Field Commander hits the shelf in 2-3 weeks I'll be at 2.7 and thats just _it_, so far :(

jeff

beastie
May 6th, 2006, 04:34
who's that bothered about castaway what we need is an update for PSP UAE

skeezix
May 6th, 2006, 15:08
Thats the silliest comment ever. - two different machines (though lots of game overlap)... and I don't care a bout Amiga :) Find another thread :)

jeff

wraggster
May 6th, 2006, 15:18
I was gonna ask if you ever considered porting Columbo to the PSP also- A colecovision emu is sorely needed :)

Would a paypal donate box on your site be a good idea to fund a dev PSP ?

skeezix
May 6th, 2006, 15:27
If I had a dev PSP, sure I'd do it :) Everything I do is fairly cross platform so it'd be a one night port to 'get going' and then just time to pollish for PSP controls.

The problem is a dev-PSP would be pricey I imagine (and hard to find nowadays with 1.5-2.0 firmware I bet :/) so it would take some doing to get funding. PSPs around are say $250-$300CDN :(

Damn Sony :/

jeff

techne
May 16th, 2006, 18:56
i am using musicmon2.5a and everything works great ecxept when i try to save a file to floppy it tells me there is a printer error or that my device might now be on. I would really appreciate information on how to turn on saving to disk and not using a compressed save state of the ram that is incompatible with my other emulators

skeezix
May 16th, 2006, 20:16
Does the disk saving work in other applications? I have had some versions of the emu where the floppy disk controller emulation was broken for some writes, or speed of the FDC was inconsistent and such; I don't recall if that was in the PSP builds or not. (I'm on 2.6 firmware now, so its hard for me to even boot the emu, so I'm annoyed to no end.)

(Anyone want to send me a free 1.5 PSP? :)

jeff

techne
May 17th, 2006, 05:41
i live in japan right now and the psp 1.5s on yahoo auction are only 200$ and the 2.0 are a little less so if we get 8 people pitching in we can get you a devpsp. I just want to save my work to the diskete.
No formating or other normal diskops work in the version 5 but everything else works great. being able to move the onscreen keyboard would be good but i am able to slow down my compositions and record real time in the tracker. and virtually everything works perfectly. I am a ym freak , so saving my work and uploading it to compos is important. Please let me know if you could get disk access working in future versions

delta191
May 22nd, 2006, 01:16
does castaway version 005 work on a euro psp with firmware 2.01?

it says it is compatible on the eloader 0.97 site but I cant get it running.

Ive done eveything I can think of, has anyone got it working on a fw 2.01

MarcusOF
November 22nd, 2006, 12:25
i'm running 2.71 SE B2 firmware and cant seem the emu to run correctly.

I placed the
casteway folders and atari_st folder in the game150 directory and have the tos102us renamed to tos.rom placed in the Atari_st folder. Yet everytime i load up casteway it gives me the message that no tos.rom could be found and then freezes. also tried the 1.00 eboot setup and didn't work, same error.

Anybody have this working on a 271 SEB? or is this just one of those eboots that won't run on it?

Zukan
December 1st, 2006, 00:05
i'm running 2.71 SE B2 firmware and cant seem the emu to run correctly.

I placed the
casteway folders and atari_st folder in the game150 directory and have the tos102us renamed to tos.rom placed in the Atari_st folder. Yet everytime i load up casteway it gives me the message that no tos.rom could be found and then freezes. also tried the 1.00 eboot setup and didn't work, same error.

Anybody have this working on a 271 SEB? or is this just one of those eboots that won't run on it?
The "ATARI_ST" folder with all of your ROMs, including the TOS.ROM must be in the "GAME" folder, not "GAME150"
The emulator itself can still remain in GAME150 though.

delta191
December 3rd, 2006, 18:53
yes - Castaway does work with all the 2.71 SE firmwares! Ive tried all of them.

ATARI_ST folder with (roms and TOS.ROM) inside goes in > PSP\GAME

CaSTawayPSP > psp\game150
CaSTawayPSP% > psp\game150

if you get the error saying couldn't find TOS.ROM
You have either named your TOS.ROM incorrectly
or have put it in the wrong place!

common errors are putting your ATARI_ST folder inside the CaSTawayPSP folder! the emulator wont find your games disks or TOS.ROM if you do this!

Another common problem is naming your TOS.ROM
TOS.ROM.rom! which will also give you the error saying couldn't find TOS.ROM.

I can assure you all that castaway 005b works on all these firmwares! I've tried them all!

1.5 - 2.71 SE A B B' B" C. now 3.40 A still working great! :thumbup:

subcon959
December 3rd, 2006, 23:39
Putting the ATARI_ST folder in GAME150 folder didn't work for me. I had to put it in the GAME folder.

look
March 20th, 2007, 16:32
hello

After owning a gp32 and running castaway I've finnaly got round to getting a newer machine(psp 3.10oe fw)

Castaway is without a doubt the most solid emulator around for the psp

great work skeezix :thumbup:

hope your not too knackered with the night feeds

kharaboudjan
March 20th, 2007, 17:46
i think its really really sad that this emu was discontinued.. it had the potential to be one of the best emus, but now it feels a little bit old..

thanx anyways to the coders of the castaway :)

kehvn
April 11th, 2007, 02:21
Yeah I really like this emulator too! The Atari ST had such power that there is SO much that this emulator could enable for the PSP. Not just awesome games but tons of utilities and more!

I have one question though. I'm currently running this emulator using a TA-082 with FW 2.71 through eloader and it works good on some games but crashes alot on others. I was just wondering if I took the plunge and upgraded my TA-082 to a custom firmware(after doing the downgrader) if this emulator would be more stable???

Here's a list of the games that crash or don't work correctly that I have.

OIDS - Runs but joystick seems backwards and ship jumps around.
CAPTAIN BLOOD - Crashes when you get to the planet and it starts to draw the alien.
STAR TREK REBEL UNIVERSE - The mouse cursor icon does not display making the game impossible to play.
Some others I can't think of right now...

But all in all, a great emulator! Thanks guys!

ataritufty
May 7th, 2007, 17:34
I use caSTaway a lot and do find that some games don't work as you say, but it is still a fantastic emulator and very stable.

I have found that sometimes the mouse does not appear depending upon which game you have played before. If you restart the emulator the mouse cursor icon does appear.

Also I have found that choosing a different tos.rom file enables some games to run - I use tos1.02.

I have recently updated my old Atari ST game - "World of Henry" and tweaked it to work with the emulator.

Check out :

psp.ataritufty.com

skeezix
May 7th, 2007, 22:20
i think its really really sad that this emu was discontinued.. it had the potential to be one of the best emus, but now it feels a little bit old..

thanx anyways to the coders of the castaway :)

Who said it was discontinued?

I've got other projects on the go and have a new baby girl tieing me up, but its certainly not dead :)

jeff

ST for life.

skeezix
May 7th, 2007, 22:21
Modified your game to work in the emu? _sick_ :)

What did you have to tweak?

jeff

I never got off my rear to build a ym chipmusic player .. checking your pgae, found you had one there. Thanks :)

ataritufty
May 7th, 2007, 23:52
Modified your game to work in the emu? _sick_ :)

What did you have to tweak?

jeff

I never got off my rear to build a ym chipmusic player .. checking your pgae, found you had one there. Thanks :)
The original World Of Henry used the STOS STe extension - the game bombed out once loaded in caSTaway, I assume due to being purely an STFM emulator so I removed the STe extension.
Also, the way the game read the joystick fire button did not work very well with caSTaway - very intermittent. I recoded those parts of the game using a different technique - now works great.

Glad you found the YM player useful - I use it all the time to listen to my collection of YM music.

Cheers

Rich

delta191
May 26th, 2007, 07:32
I was playing goldrunner and pysgnosis barbarian the other day and was wondering if this emulator was still being worked on, it really does run well on the psp but the menu's are very tiresome! it seems such a shame, I really loved my atari st, I couldn't afford an Amiga but my ST served my hunger.

Just starting my dungeon master days again!

Thanx for this emulator, please keep her going:)

look
August 7th, 2007, 12:55
Any news? update or anything?

I've been playing kick off 2 final whistle which is playing well.

Does the emu run at 333Mhz if i've got it set in the XMB?

I'm on 3.52 m33 btw

look
September 25th, 2007, 09:36
Castaway PSP no longer works with the latest m33 firmware.

I guess its because it launches in 1.50 which is no longer available.

Perhaps you can release an update?

skeezix
September 25th, 2007, 16:18
The emu works for me on my PSP-fat, with not-quite-the-latest M33.

I've not looked into what is realyl different in the latest M33's, or what is different on the Slim.

ie: If 1.50 execution isn't available, what is the implication? ie: I would assume we'r estill running in kernel mode or we'd be in serious crap, so whats the problem?

What happens when you run? just device reboot?

I do know in a few of the later firmwares the pbp needs to be in a different spot than in pure 1.50 environments; ie: On current firmwares I've used, I had to move it into the rom directory if I recall right .. ther actual binary, not the kxploited one, say. But I don't recall now .. I work it out as needed and haven't written down what I did each time :)

If code changes are needed, I can look into it.. just need to sort out what needs doing.

jeff

skeezix
October 18th, 2007, 03:15
I've not been fiddling with the older 005 build for awhile, so don't knwo its status on current firmwares.

I've got a new build, 006, with minor changes, coming out soon. It does work on current M33 firmware, at least. (I'm still using kxploited directories in GAME150 in M33 though, for what thats worth.)

Should be a build along soon :)

jeff

Oops
October 18th, 2007, 21:59
It's nice to ear about you again in the PSP area Skeezix. I was afraid you'd never touch again CaSTaway PSP even if it's already working nicely. So you finally upgraded your PSP, didn't you hehe.

skeezix
October 19th, 2007, 01:41
Nope; still an original PSP (with m33 on it) .. just not a lot of free time anymore as we had a baby. But in all my free time, I still code :P

jeff

sappo
October 19th, 2007, 16:06
Hello! Thank you for your great emu :D It's on my PSP all the time :D

Could you make possible that the directory where the ROM are placed is in the KXPLOITED ones? Because my PSP gives me a corrupted icon for that ATARIST in PSP/GAME dir :D Putting it inside the KXPLOITED dir should resolve it :D

Thank you again :D

look
October 19th, 2007, 16:24
Castaway now works with the 150 firmware plugin thing on the latest m33 firmware.

:thumbup:

skeezix
November 14th, 2007, 03:09
Where can you find a 1.,50 kernel plugin for M33? (I assume it onyl works with Fat, not Slim, though eh?)

Nomatter .. I have my copy working on PSP Slim now, so I think we're good to go!

I need to do some tests .. it may be that I need to buils twice -- one for fat and one for slim now? Or will the slim one work on all (that would be ideal.)

Either way, I've fixed a few issues and got it going on 3.72 M33-2; need to fix a font rendering issue in my menus to make it look a little better and I'll get build 006 out. Have to work on some audio issues and some emulation nits I found, but with a new baby around.. I'm slowed down a lot :)

Build 006 is soon.. I imagine thursday!

jeff

look
November 14th, 2007, 14:20
It was the 150 kernel addon available from

here/ (http://www.dark-alex.org/)

I mentioned. Not sure about the slim as I just have a large one ;)

Looking forwards to the update.

Any chance of saving emu options for each game?

also what clock speed does it run at by default?

cheers

l00k

skeezix
November 14th, 2007, 14:41
look! Good to see you still hanging around :)

It runs are default (which on CFW can be set I think). I'm not currently changing the clock though I will add options to adjust since some games need less, some need more. Saving settings to config files or per-game (really, per-disk since can't tell what your'e doing within a given disk) is a maybe. (ie: For 50hz games its annoying since you have to switch every time, so I know its a good idea.) Just time is tight :)

Let me get 006 out, and pollished for both fat and slim so I have a solid base to go on, and then we can work on a to-do list going forward? I've got a new build environment, and new libs and such, so good to get a foundation down first.

jeff

O-bake
November 14th, 2007, 15:10
Sounds great. Really looking forward to this one :)

look
November 14th, 2007, 15:45
look! Good to see you still hanging around :)

It runs are default (which on CFW can be set I think). I'm not currently changing the clock though I will add options to adjust since some games need less, some need more. Saving settings to config files or per-game (really, per-disk since can't tell what your'e doing within a given disk) is a maybe. (ie: For 50hz games its annoying since you have to switch every time, so I know its a good idea.) Just time is tight :)

Let me get 006 out, and pollished for both fat and slim so I have a solid base to go on, and then we can work on a to-do list going forward? I've got a new build environment, and new libs and such, so good to get a foundation down first.

jeff

praps save settings in save state i generally dont like going through the loading from disk menu business so i use save states

look
November 15th, 2007, 15:06
ehup! hows 006 coming along?

I'm more excited about this being developed again than any recent psp game release :thumbup:

skeezix
November 15th, 2007, 15:19
Hopefully I'll put out 006 as detailed above today. ie: I've fixed a couple buried emulation oddities which made Dungeon Master crash sometimes in deep dungeons (which annoyed me to no end ;), and am cleaning up the UI a bit and getting it up to snuff with my gp2x build.So not sure how much you will notice in this, but at least it gets my build environment ready again and everything sorted out with the Slim.

(And we'll find out if it also works on the fat, or if I need to build twice for each release, and so on.)

So.. soon. I am constantly reminded how precious free time is nowadays :)

jeff

look
November 15th, 2007, 16:19
joy of joy I've never been able to get oids working.

I've got a big fat one if you need it testing.

PM me if you want IM details.

as for the free time aspect I'm well aware. I have 2 young'uns of my own

skeezix
November 15th, 2007, 17:34
Oids works for me, IIRC. I think some versions had a hard time getting past the intro, but I definatley have played it a bunch of times on gp2x and psp .. don't recall which crack group.

(I don't remember much of anything these days .. :)

Two is .. something wer're not yet come to terms with; imaginging two or even three.. *fear* :)

jeff

skeezix
November 15th, 2007, 22:24
Get CaSTaway build 006 here:
http://www.codejedi.com/shadowplan/castaway.html

Direct link is:
http://www.codejedi.com/castaway/binaries/castaway-psp-006.zip

I've proven it to work on my PSP Slim; I hope it still works on the Fat.

Please let me know if..
- it works on your Slim
- it works on your Fat with firmware 3.6 or later
- it works on your Fat with firmware earlier than 3.6
- it works on your Fat with 1.5

I am not including a kxploited or firmware-1.0 build in this release, in hopes this new Slim-happy one works on them all.. but we'll have to find out, and I'll adjust my releases as needed. (ie: If I need to include 2 or 3 or 4 builds for different firmwares, I will.)

This release freshens up the emu to my latest codebase and fixes a number of minor issues both in the emu and in the interface, as well as adding some goofy UI effects.

jeff

Edit: Known to work on Fat with 3.52 and 3.71, as well as Slim.

look
November 15th, 2007, 23:38
Cheers!

Works on my 3.71 m33-3 chunk

Like the GEM style disk picker. It hurt my eyes a bit though after a few drinks. Any chance you make it fill the screen?

Need to test some more stuff. Mighty Boosh got in the way.

OIDS
I've got Automation 97 for oids which seems to mess up on the controls and just go mental. ship just start flying horizontally. will look for another release tomorrow. anyone know a good un?

skeezix
November 16th, 2007, 02:39
The GEM-style picker .. enlarging it doesn't do a lot (excdept more vertical space); I could add the file size as a third column, just to be more GEM like, but it woudln't really help anyone :P I guess it could get more game-listing in though, which would be helpful. (You can always do a disk lookup to find out more from the database.)

I'll have to check my Oids .. how far in? right away or a level or two in?

jeff

look
November 16th, 2007, 09:17
oids takes a while to get past the title screen. think F1 helps.

I sort of glide down from the mother ship and have a bit of a thrust about then WHAM the ship flies off to the right into a mountain.

just found the vectronix crack will try that now

emulator seems solid atm

O-bake
November 16th, 2007, 13:42
Hi, thanks for the update.

But i have a problem with this release (i used the 005 version and even the GP32 one without problems):
I have a fat PSP 3.71M33-3. I put both folders in \PSP\GAME and the TOS.ROM in the ATARI_ST folder.

After starting the emu, the index is build and i can select an image file to run. But after pressing X or O, a box appears and says "TOS.Rom not found".
That is strange, as i used the US 1.02 without any problems in previous releases.
The TOS file and the images are all unzipped in the ATARI_ST folder.

I even switched kernel mode in the M33 mode, same results with 1.5 and 3.71 kernel.
I have no clue where the problem is, I need help.
(And btw, is the ATARI_ST folder really nessesary? It leaves this corrupted files icon in the PSP menu...)

look
November 16th, 2007, 14:31
O-BAKE

sounds like a tos.rom problem as homebrew is working to get the error.

I have the same setup as you but the emu works fine.

Have you rename the tos.img to tos.rom?

In recovery my homebrew thing is set to 3.71 kernel

castaway and atari folders are in /psp/game/

O-bake
November 16th, 2007, 14:42
Aes, everything is setup this way. And the TOS.ROM is tested and working, as i told.
If i remove the TOS.ROM, the emu gives this error dialog directly after it starts.
But in my case, the dialog appers after i chose a disk. And that is somehow strange.

look
November 16th, 2007, 16:21
can you get to gem desktop if you dont delect a game and press x?

where is your tos.rom exactly?

O-bake
November 16th, 2007, 19:40
The TOS.ROM is in the ATARI_ST folder.
And the emu freezes by pressing X or O in the disk-browser.
I'll try a few things later today and i switch to the new thread, if the problem stays.
Thanks anyways.

bwlfp
November 17th, 2007, 18:25
Great to play some old ST games, although I am finding that many do not work, for example Turrican 2 gives me just a fuzzy screen whereas Bubble Bobble works fine. Probably something I'm doing wrong. I'm on 3.52 M33-4 using US 1.02 TOS.ROM.

Correction they do work see below

skeezix
November 18th, 2007, 03:40
compatibility is good, but not perfect; the emu was written for speed for low end devices.. it sacrifices a lot to get there, but compatibility slowly increases. Try other versions though .. some hack groups cracks might work while others not. the booters they use can be pretty stressful to the emulation and some cause problems. ie: Dungeon Master is screwy in some crack groups, but a rip of the original disks.. no problem.

jeff

bwlfp
November 18th, 2007, 21:25
Well indeed I was doing something wrong. For others that are new to this here are some tips. When you load a game it may not load automatically. You may need to open a the disk folder on the atari st desktop screen and click the game file to load it. Also many games are cracked so you may get a messy screen or more likely a crack group promotion screen. Just press select to bring up the keyboard and press space to get past these and into the game. This may be obvious to most but was not to me. Great emulator!:thumbup:

look
November 19th, 2007, 15:43
skeezix

sorry to harp on about this oids issue

I've tried a few different releases of oids now and they all do the same thing.

what tos version are you using?

skeezix
November 19th, 2007, 16:54
Nope, you're right. I'm wondering it the math is being broken somewhere .. its interesting howe the ship just zooms off to the side or the like, and sometimes shoots bullets backwards ..

jeff

look
November 19th, 2007, 17:18
found this thing on t'internet

For a long time none of the standard ST emulators ran it successfully due to its exact hardware routines, so one called Oidemu was written which can run it - and virtually no other games.

oidemu
http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=es&u=http://personal.redestb.es/ministry/oidemu.htm&sa=X&oi=translate&resnum=4&ct=result&prev=/search%3Fq%3Doids%2Boidemu%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DG