PDA

View Full Version : PSP Slim Question

Randomness
May 7th, 2008, 12:08
I'm trying to decide whether its worth my getting a new PSP Slim to play episodes of shows on. I'd also like to use it to emulate SNES and Genesis.

I think a PSP Slim can be modded to play avi/divx files, but can it be done decently? Is there anyone else here that uses their PSP to play TV shows etc?

Also, if I mod my PSP Slim to 3.90 m33-3, is it possible to revert it back to a 100% working pre-modded state if I ever needed to?

Thanks in advance

arvkova
May 12th, 2008, 14:38
You can use both a Slim or a Phat to play TV shows.
Besides, I don't think I understood you properly about getting a "new" PSP slim for playing TV shows or emulation. Do you already own a PSP unit and want to buy another one?

Also, about modding to play avi/divx; you can't really play long avi/divx movies on a PSP. One homebrew application that can do it (though in small chunks of 40mb) is PSPTube. You will have to split your movie files into small chunks for it to work. One way I found to enjoy movies is by using PimpStreamer to stream movies from my PC to the PSP without reencoding or transferring to memory stick.

Reverting back to an official firmware is easy by using Dark_Alex's universal unbricker.

hawk_r
May 12th, 2008, 17:36
Just use one of the many free programs to transfer to mp4 format and the videos will work fine with or without CFW.

http://www.pspvideo9.com/
Easy to use, but their are others just Google.

Found xvid4psp which in my opinion is superior to the above mentioned program.

www.winnydows.com

Randomness
May 13th, 2008, 15:17
Thanks for your replies.

I've never owned a PSP, this will be my first one and I'm aiming to buy a new Slim.

By most indications avi/divx playback on PSP's is troublesome without converting the files, which is a shame, but tolerable.

arvkova
May 17th, 2008, 20:38
As hawk_r mentioned, xvid4psp is the software you should use to convert to mp4 format and play back on the PSP.
Alternatively, you can also convert to the PMP format (PSP's native container format) and use that in combination with the homebrew application PMPlayer Advance.

Randomness
May 20th, 2008, 00:40
As hawk_r mentioned, xvid4psp is the software you should use to convert to mp4 format and play back on the PSP.
Alternatively, you can also convert to the PMP format (PSP's native container format) and use that in combination with the homebrew application PMPlayer Advance.

I've started using SUPER, which is quite a good conversion program.

Except it seems to automatically rename the encoded files to just letters and numbers :(

But they display the proper filenames once loaded onto a PSP, just makes them harder to sort on the PC