PDA

View Full Version : Nintendo s New Channel No Threat to Wii Homebrew

wraggster
May 8th, 2008, 00:59
Just a heads up to say the new Nintendo Channel does not affect the Twilight Hack or the Homebrew Channel. Good news for Wii Homebrew

seiryuken
May 8th, 2008, 02:18
well thats good news, ive just downloaded it when i saw the news here. Its kinda lame because they only have info on old games and not upcoming titles. oh well at least nintendo tries and thats what counts. : )

BoazAdreal
May 8th, 2008, 02:40
It would really seem that Nintendo doesn't give a hoot about homebrew, as long as it's not illegal. Cheers for the big N!

theotherfreakyguy
May 8th, 2008, 04:20
oh, good. I accidentally sent a today's play history with "Homebrew Channel" in it. :P

SwordOfZork
May 8th, 2008, 06:04
Woah, slow down there everyone.

Yes, this has no immediate effect on your ability to boot homebrew software, this is true.

However, this could be used as a way to mine data about users who run homebrew code and possibly pirated VC and WiiWare games. Nintendo could just be gathering data about this sort of thing, and logging your information before they decide to retaliate some way in the future. Luckily, you can opt-out of sending information. I recommend doing so.

Remember, Microsoft stood back for months gathering info on Live users who had modded consoles before banning them all of the sudden.

DimensionT
May 8th, 2008, 07:54
oh, good. I accidentally sent a today's play history with "Homebrew Channel" in it. :P

One more reason not to be using the hack job channels.

mcdougall57
May 8th, 2008, 12:29
Woah, slow down there everyone.

Yes, this has no immediate effect on your ability to boot homebrew software, this is true.

However, this could be used as a way to mine data about users who run homebrew code and possibly pirated VC and WiiWare games. Nintendo could just be gathering data about this sort of thing, and logging your information before they decide to retaliate some way in the future. Luckily, you can opt-out of sending information. I recommend doing so.

Remember, Microsoft stood back for months gathering info on Live users who had modded consoles before banning them all of the sudden.

indeed thats why just to be sure im turning wiiconnect24 off

____anders____
May 8th, 2008, 17:00
great news, hope it won't affect modded wii's, i doubt it..

EDIT: hmm, i have wiiconnect 24 off, but they may be gathering data like you said..

Ab5493
May 8th, 2008, 23:59
great news, hope it won't affect modded wii's, i doubt it..

EDIT: hmm, i have wiiconnect 24 off, but they may be gathering data like you said..

Yeah i turned it off too, just incase they pull out some overnight automatic update and brick my wii and fry my wiikey :p

NegFactor
May 9th, 2008, 06:35
Yeah, when I first picked up the channel and saw the data-gathering concept, my immediate thought was if they'd eventually fish for console replies for multiple Twilight Princess entries that are listed as 0:01 per each run to try and reference a guesstimate on potential brewing at large.

I know several times a day I end up using TH because I've got to go out and come back and I don't like leaving it running while I'm gone. If other people are in the same boat with multiple entries in a given day and they're sending gathered data to Nintendo, it might become a future issue for homebrew altogether. That's my thoughts, anyway.

____anders____
May 10th, 2008, 00:59
Yeah, when I first picked up the channel and saw the data-gathering concept, my immediate thought was if they'd eventually fish for console replies for multiple Twilight Princess entries that are listed as 0:01 per each run to try and reference a guesstimate on potential brewing at large.

I know several times a day I end up using TH because I've got to go out and come back and I don't like leaving it running while I'm gone. If other people are in the same boat with multiple entries in a given day and they're sending gathered data to Nintendo, it might become a future issue for homebrew altogether. That's my thoughts, anyway.

hmm, maybe that's a way to see if someone use homebrew, but so far N haven't done anything against it, until the WAD packers came, so i guess they have to do something about it, like scanning for illegal WAD files and compare them against the wii shop account to see if it's really bought, i know it says "downloaded" but N can see if they've recieved money from you for that game, anyways that's my guess..

i've only bought 1000 wii-points, but magically i got a few more games, of course only ones that i have on the original consoles, wich is every mario game there is;)