PDA

View Full Version : Interest in an online Dreamcast magazine?

sixtyten
May 12th, 2008, 07:45
Hey all,

Lately there has been quite the storm of Dreamcast titles being released on modern systems. Rez and Ikaruga have both found their way to XBLA, with House of the Dead 2 released on the Wii and a Space Channel 5 Wii game on its way, as well as rumors of a new Cosmic Smash game, it's clear that the Dreamcast is on Sega's mind, and it's certainly on everyone else's mind. I've noticed at least one or two articles a month on Kotaku regarding various aspects of the Dreamcast, and, with current gaming trends (rerelease old titles as downloads), the Dreamcast can easily satisfy everything a current console has (barring new commercial games :P). NEO4ALL and AES4ALL cover a large amount of games that are, and could be downloadable titles on current gen consoles. DreamSNES, NesterDC, and the emulators for other systems easily dwarf the Wii's virtual console. While they may not necessarily be full speed, they do allow gamers to experience classics not on a computer screen, but on their TV with a gamepad in hand.

I've always wanted to contribute something to the scene, and I've undertaken a project with my own Dreamcast to bring it kicking and screaming into the current gen. I've been designing DVD covers for all my games, which, while not necessarily a new idea, inspired me to expand my idea. It would encompass many different aspects of the Dreamcast, and on the whole be called the ReviveDC Project. To get it started, I thought it would be cool to put together a sort of online magazine that could be distributed through email. It would be free, and emailed in a PDF format. You'd merely have to sign up for it. I was thinking of just making a PDF document and posting it to a website, but, that kind of devalues it a bit, in my opinion.

The magazine would basically be a print magazine, just in PDF format, since a print magazine isn't very viable. It would include everything a print magazine would. News from the Dreamcast scene, collected in one place, interviews with coders regarding projects, features on games, as well as reviewing an amount of games every month. Also, an important aspect would be to offer detailed guides of mods. Some guides are vague, and it would be great to go back and flesh them out. Then there's the region changer mod, which was criminally relatively ignored. Maybe if everyone likes it enough, a letters section too.

I think that executing this idea would not only make the scene stronger by compiling information as to what's going on, and what the Dreamcast offers, but also by attracting new comers. To many people, the Dreamcast is just that console that was around for the blink of an eye, Sega's death blow. For those of us who own one, it's still one of the greatest gaming experiences around. So, if you would be interested in being a part of this, for example, writing, please PM me. And if you're interested in it in general, please post here and discuss it.

paul3100
May 12th, 2008, 18:56
Ok well im interested in reading it if it ever comes out but apart from that !!!

paul :-)

Maturion
May 12th, 2008, 19:53
Of course I am interested. :)

Bear_XI
May 14th, 2008, 13:00
That would be great.

P.S:Samba Di Amigo is coming out on Wii to.

Elven6
May 16th, 2008, 03:55
I am also interested in such a idea.

sixtyten
May 16th, 2008, 05:11
The plan now is for me to just go through and do an issue on my own and get it out there, ask it to be posted in the news section on a few DC sites, and then try and gather some help from that, because while I'm getting people saying they're interested, I'm not getting a lot of pledged help. I dunno if I'll have time to get it out by June, so, perhaps I'm aiming for the first week of July. By then I'll also have more covers that I can put into the ReviveDC DVD covers Photobucket (which, by the way, the Photobucket link is posted in the Dreamcast DVD Cases thread in the art & design forum, for those interested. The DVD covers posted are high resolution enough to download and print.) I think that perhaps a blog would also help to get the project going, thoughts on that?

ron
May 18th, 2008, 23:49
I think it's a great idea, but I do not think it has enough material to make more than one or two annual issues.

The international dreamcast scene don't produce as much as we like , anyway I agree with this very good idea.

If something needed just contact me !

sixtyten
June 26th, 2008, 08:55
So we have a bit of interest expressed here...would anyone like to staff?

Please note: I know some people have a problem with the Bleemcast beta, and I would like you to know that RDC will have no problem in discussing and reviewing Bleemed games, so, if you have a problem with it, then you may want to reconsider.

Eviltaco64
June 26th, 2008, 09:41
Im all for it! And if you need any staff, Im also for it :)

sixtyten
June 27th, 2008, 00:39
Im all for it! And if you need any staff, Im also for it :)

Your PM's are full. Clear 'em out and I've got some info for you!

Eviltaco64
June 27th, 2008, 01:18
Done

TheRedFox
August 13th, 2008, 20:59
I would be interested in helping, but I don't know that I could do much. I'm a casual gamer with no programming skills, and I haven't bought a Dreamcast game for a long time.