PDA

View Full Version : Rare: People are "less tolerant of really long games"

Shrygue
May 14th, 2008, 20:35
via Computer and Video Games (http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=188972)

We'll all agree that the first Banjo game was massive back on N64. Not just in terms of sales but in size too. But what does the man who helped crate Banjo Kazooie think about a game's length in today's terms?

"I guess people are now less tolerant of really, really long games," Rare's head of design, Gregg Mayles, told CVG. "Or if you're going to have a really long game it has to be structured in such a way that the majority of the players play the game up to a certain point and are happy with it, but that section is shorter and then make sure the tail-end of the game suits the people that want to carry on."

He continued, "The trick is not forcing everybody to play it for a colossal amount of time. So if people want to try and complete it in like 20 to 30 hours that's fine. If people want to then carry on, that's fine."

darkness angel 777
May 14th, 2008, 21:16
I don't mind a long game if the gameplay is good and has a story that keeps me playing.

pibs
May 16th, 2008, 20:30
He continued, "The trick is not forcing everybody to play it for a colossal amount of time. So if people want to try and complete it in like 20 to 30 hours that's fine. If people want to then carry on, that's fine."

Sounds like GTAIV, reward us with a beat under 30hrs achievement for Banjo Kazooie ;)