PDA

View Full Version : File / html browsing solutions?!

osa2k8
May 17th, 2008, 20:01
I find it very useful to save html pages from the net and put them on the PSP - I can then read them on the tube etc.

I often simply find a site I want and I 'copy' it with Win HTT Track - this is fine and then I just need to load the index.htm file however, with lots of individual files its a bit of a nightmare - I have to remember their names!

SO... Is there a way to actually browse the contents of the memory stick and then open a file - be that a text .txt or a htm / html document? - Just as you would in explorer.

My current methods are either renaming the html files to something like a.htm b.htm c.htm (i.e just one letter!) or creating a html document which links to the files - both are either time consuming, or not accurate - making the html doc in open office takes a while, and just opening a.htm to discover its not the file I wanted can be fustrating!

So... anyone have any bright ideas?

For the record - I have the latest custom firmware, a slim psp, and most of the pages I am looking at are very basic html consisitng of mainly text and the occasional small illustration - things which display well and fine in the psp browser.

Your comments welcome!!

osa2k8
May 18th, 2008, 19:45
If anyone's interested I've found BookR to be OK at reading the text on a html file, it sometimes screws the layout a little bit, but on the whole its ok - the ability to browse makes it worth it though!

I may experiment with html -- > pdf, see if BookR can handle the files better in pdf format rather than html, although that's added hassle.

dangee
May 19th, 2008, 01:08
Try this:
1: download browse.txt,rename to "browse.htm",& copy to ms0:/
2: go into the psp web browser in offline mode (cancel if it trys to connect)
3: enable javascript in view settings
4: use the OSK for address entry in the 'file' menu,& enter 'file:/browse.htm'
5: set this as a home page to skip steps 1-4
6: click the select box to choose a .html or .txt file from /PSP/COMMON
7: click the empty box to display the .html or .txt file

osa2k8
May 19th, 2008, 20:43
Thats pretty cool dangee, I guess that means I have to dump everything in /psp/common - I notice you can only browse to certain directories.

I assume that's a restriction in the browser - as there's nothing specific in the .txt file to restrict it to those particular directories.

dangee
May 20th, 2008, 01:01
Yeah, f/w restricts browsable folders atm, but you can create &
browse subfolders of /PSP/COMMON etc directly.
also, use hyperlinks or bookmarks to access any file online or off.
I've edited browse.txt with some egs.
To get hyperlinks working offline you have to
*d/l the online link using 'save link target' or 'save image'
*edit the .html href or src, changing http://... to file:/...

osa2k8
May 24th, 2008, 13:08
Thanks dangee - thats very useful :)

sykotik1
May 14th, 2009, 17:07
is there a better way to browse html files on ur psp now?

sykotik1
May 15th, 2009, 19:15
anyone?