PDA

View Full Version : The Most Successful Video Game Of All Time?

wraggster
May 20th, 2008, 01:22
According to a recent Slate piece, it's... Solitaire? The article says that the various versions of Windows Solitaire are the most-used programs among Windows, and charts in particular the American workplace's ongoing love affair with the time-waster.

The article raises a number of interesting points — how the temptation of playing Solitaire at the workplace, for example, might have trained an older generation of computer-illiterates to use the mouse well, to minimize windows and swap between applications quickly (like you do when the boss is coming).

http://kotaku.com/391693/the-most-successful-video-game-of-all-time

alanparker05
May 20th, 2008, 02:32
This seems like a bit of a pointless study because obviously office workers won't be allowed to install their own games at work so if they want to play something then solitaire is built into windows and they really have little other choice

JKKDARK
May 20th, 2008, 02:47
I agree with you, alanparker05. Plus it is a free game.

limming
May 20th, 2008, 02:48
Yeah, probably because it is installed in the software and most people didn't want to install something else. I think that is pretty stupid.

In my opinion, The Mario series is the most successful because it has lasted for almost 30 years and has so many best selling games (e.g. Mario Party, Mario Kart, Super Mario 64, Sunshine, Galaxy) and a large, stable fan base.

masterchief929
May 20th, 2008, 02:48
i don't care how pointless that study is, thats hilarious.

**1_Man_Matrix**
May 20th, 2008, 03:33
It's free and put in front of 90% of the population!?!?

The most successful game should be one that people have had to actively get up, go out and seek, then pay for!

I don't know about successful, but my favorite is Doom 1 :thumbup:

Shadowblind
May 20th, 2008, 03:34
I don't know about successful, but my favorite is Doom 1 :thumbup:

You have good taste my friend

greengorilla5
May 20th, 2008, 03:47
Just because solitare is most played amongst office workers doesn't mean it is the most succesful. Oh and by the way my favorite game is COD4 for the 360.

Joe88
May 20th, 2008, 04:37
tetris ftw

osgeld
May 20th, 2008, 07:37
yea tetris

maybe megaman or mario after that

and if office workers wanna claim solitaire is a video game then im allowed to call notepad an office suite

jamotto
May 20th, 2008, 11:38
Well, if you want to ignore solitaire then Mario is the most successful video game franchise followed by Pokemon and The Sims.

ojdon
May 20th, 2008, 12:36
Mario must have sold a fair few, but I would go for Sonic 1 at the time of it's release, the Megadrive was popular and most of them came with Sonic 1. Sonic 1 has probally be ported so many times, more than Mario, finally the Video Game Industry was having a boom around the time the Mega Drive came out if IIRC.

Shadowblind
May 20th, 2008, 12:51
Mario must have sold a fair few, but I would go for Sonic 1 at the time of it's release, the Megadrive was popular and most of them came with Sonic 1. Sonic 1 has probally be ported so many times, more than Mario, finally the Video Game Industry was having a boom around the time the Mega Drive came out if IIRC.

If we are talking most successful series per game, its Halo or GTA.

____anders____
May 20th, 2008, 13:17
You have good taste my friend

i agree;)
i have the rockbox firmware on my sandisk sansa, and of course i have doom 1, 2, plutonia and TNT on it:D
and the best of all is that it runs in fullspeed:)

i think that game (doom 1) is ONE of the most popular game ever, but not as popular as SMB:)

i have every super mario game ever made on my wii:) they just rule:D

kojiro7
May 20th, 2008, 15:08
Mario and sonic
And maybe street fighter

devdj
May 20th, 2008, 19:00
well to me pong and space invaders beat solitaire hands down

Joe88
May 20th, 2008, 20:18
solitare was only made to teach people how to use a mouse when the first computer mouse's were introduced

since people used to work in command prompt and basically had no GUI

Shadowblind
May 20th, 2008, 20:51
i agree;)
i have the rockbox firmware on my sandisk sansa, and of course i have doom 1, 2, plutonia and TNT on it:D
and the best of all is that it runs in fullspeed:)

i think that game (doom 1) is ONE of the most popular game ever, but not as popular as SMB:)

i have every super mario game ever made on my wii:) they just rule:D

True. Doom literally started an extremely successful genre as well like Super mario did. Doom was more successful then many know simply because it wasn't tracked until it was a commercial game. For a long time it was freeware.

Doom 1 was the first game I ever played, and it will always be my favorite.

alanparker05
May 20th, 2008, 21:32
Has anyone got the official manufacturers sales figures for all these series of games so we can find the truth

Veskgar
May 20th, 2008, 22:51
I'd base the most successful game on how the franchise has stood up over the years and constantly improved and reinvented itself. So to me, Super Mario Bros. would be the most successful game.

Solitaire? I freaking hate solitaire and I stare and wonder at people who can sit and play it over and over and over and over. Seems like such a boring game and waste of time IMO.

juiceface
May 20th, 2008, 23:48
if success is based on sales this here is the list

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_video_games

the sims, pokemon, super mario world, super mario bros (nes), wii sports, nintendogs, all stand out

but mario brothers is the most successful franchise

Raekwik11
May 21st, 2008, 01:04
what about FFVII?

wolfpack
May 21st, 2008, 02:44
Solitaire can blow me........

Seriously, why sit in front of the computer... do the same thing over and over again... "this card goes here... this card goes way over here... oh look its the cards breaking like glass... goody lets do that again!" to me it just seems too repetitive

Personally my favorite, was Ultimate Doom. That will stand as my favorite game ever, along side with Castlevania.

alanparker05
May 21st, 2008, 02:48
what about FFVII?
it's a very good game but never had true mass market appeal like mario and sonic

alanparker05
May 21st, 2008, 02:51
Solitaire can blow me........

Seriously, why sit in front of the computer... do the same thing over and over again... "this card goes here... this card goes way over here... oh look its the cards breaking like glass... goody lets do that again!" to me it just seems too repetitive

Personally my favorite, was Ultimate Doom. That will stand as my favorite game ever, along side with Castlevania.
it's called addiction

ying_johnny
May 30th, 2008, 04:28
I justfound that Onda VX989 + FC Game (http://madeinchina.blogbus.com/logs/21937518.html)

VX989 with FC Game, really very good imagine and it seems that it has been done, anyone had done it??

littlecoopsxxx
May 30th, 2008, 06:27
wahoo to solitaire! but do think their is a slight flaw as at work places i have been emplyed at their is a ICT network team that can now watch employes actions on the network plus installation of the programme is usually impossible...bring back the old days when you could decieve the man!!!