PDA

View Full Version : Buy new, or repair

Wasney
May 21st, 2008, 05:32
Not that long ago I got my friends old psp. It has a cracked screen and no battery. Its a 1001. I was considering either repairing it (new screen and battery) or buying a new/used one. Any suggestions? I hunted for a screen, looks about $30 to me.

As for the battery, I was reading up and in order to put custom firmware on the psp I need a modded battery. Is there any way to easily switch one battery from a pandora to a normal? This way I only need to buy one battery, not 2.

And as for the firmware process which one should I do?

Also, I have no clue what firmware is one the psp...form what I have heard from my friend it just might still be 1.00.

I hunted for tutorials, but couldn't find much COMPLETE guides...just pieces...

dahun
May 21st, 2008, 22:34
he cant have version 1.00 unless he bought it in japan if u have the game lummies u can downgrade from version 3.6 and lower if u have a not patched gta vice sity stories u can downgrade from 3.03 and if its 2.8 or lower u can downgrade without a game

alentris
May 21st, 2008, 23:23
here's the deal: If you're now to any sort of hardmodding, don't try to replace the LCD screen yourself. you can find psp repair services that will fix it for you for 50-70 USD. As for the battery, you should buy the Datel Tool Battery (about 30 USD), and a regular battery from either Amazon.com or your local EB Games/ Gamestop. So, you're looking at anywhere from 100- 120 USD to fix this up. If everything else is working O.K., this is an easy fix-up that should take 1-2 weeks. Otherwise, If it is not all that well-kept of a psp, buy either a used phat/slim psp (your preference) off of Ebay, or get a new one from <a href="http://www.divineo.cn/cgi-bin/div-cn/psp-bpajb.html">here</a>

Wasney
May 22nd, 2008, 00:19
here's the deal: If you're now to any sort of hardmodding, don't try to replace the LCD screen yourself. you can find psp repair services that will fix it for you for 50-70 USD. As for the battery, you should buy the Datel Tool Battery (about 30 USD), and a regular battery from either Amazon.com or your local EB Games/ Gamestop. So, you're looking at anywhere from 100- 120 USD to fix this up. If everything else is working O.K., this is an easy fix-up that should take 1-2 weeks. Otherwise, If it is not all that well-kept of a psp, buy either a used phat/slim psp (your preference) off of Ebay, or get a new one from <a href="http://www.divineo.cn/cgi-bin/div-cn/psp-bpajb.html">here</a>

Thank you for the reply. I am sure I can handle replacing the screen. I have modded my pc and original xbox enough to do that. But since your saying it would be about 100-120 to fix it I am thinking I would just buy a different one. It has some cosmetic damage, missing the joystick thingy (not sure what to call it, just the pad really), and I would need a new battery door as well.

If I were to buy a new/used psp, would I be setfor CFM, as long as it is firmware version 2.8 or lower? Or do I need to make a Pandora battery no matter what?

alentris
May 24th, 2008, 17:40
Well, If you can replace the screen yourself, I'd estimate the cost to about $80-100. If you buy a new psp, expect to have to use pandora's battery. If you are buying a used one, you could find one with pretty much any firmware, including 1.5 or other custom firmwares.