PDA

View Full Version : What Are Your Game Buy Regrets?

wraggster
May 24th, 2008, 11:51
Ahoy! Pull up a chair, grab a coffee, let's talk. That's right, it's Friday night, time for around round of TELL US DAMMIT. How it works: We ask a question, you answer it. Simple and no strings attached! This isn't some marketing survey or whatever. It's an emotional investment in you. Yes, we're interesting in knowing you, Kotaku reader person. You probably know ****tons about us — more than you even want to, we're sure. But, hey, we'd like to know about you. That way you won't be some faceless blob — and we might feel a tinge of guilt when we ban your ass. Or not, because really we're incapable of human emotion. Whichever!

Question: Do you having any game purchase regrets?

http://kotaku.com/5010812/what-are-your-game-buy-regrets

Shadowblind
May 24th, 2008, 14:36
Final Fantasy X, Dynasty Warriors 4 empires, and FFVII. FFX being the worst.

JKKDARK
May 24th, 2008, 14:47
Some RPG's for various paltforms

Penguinator
May 24th, 2008, 14:49
I don't buy much games, not even on NDS anymore. Almost only regret is Another Code: Two Memories. It was a quite disappoitment, when I was looking for a good adventure game.

Graxer0419
May 24th, 2008, 14:59
Super Monkey Ball: Touch and Roll. I bought it because I liked the original on the Gamecube. It was the biggest waste of money ever!

Xiofire
May 24th, 2008, 15:00
Rockstars Table Tennis, All the hype around it made me buy it, and when i did play it, it seemed like an overly priced XBLA game.

GTA IV, Even though it is a phenomenal achievement, and had one/some of THE best stories/characters, after the story, I just feel at a loss as to what to do. Even the achievements which usually subside this feeling haven't helped, it just doesn't motivate me to continue playing. San Andreas did, with its endless amounts to do, like flying planes, sky diving, random side missions and extensive story mode, but this just seems to lack, with only cluckin bells, Stevie's cars and pigeons to shoot. I wish I had rented it and completed the story.

WhizzBang
May 24th, 2008, 15:44
In a similar vein as GTA IV, I would say Halo 3. I know lot's of people love it and I am sure it is a great game if you get into it but I found it very dull. I have only got as far as about the 3rd or 4th stage and I cannot bring myself to play it any more. I quite enjoyed the first Halo game and played it until the end, but for some reason I just can not be bothered to do it in Halo 3, despite it being pretty much the same game.

ninja9393
May 24th, 2008, 16:10
Rock Band, Should of waited for Guitar Hero 4

Don't really have any others

watupgroupie
May 24th, 2008, 16:10
Final Fantasy X, Dynasty Warriors 4 empires, and FFVII. FFX being the worst.
FFVII you hated? I've never actually heard that before.

My worst gaming buy was probably spider-man 2 for the xbox. If you were in the same room as me when I played that you'd end up with a controller in the face. That game aggrivated me beyond sanity.

thesandman
May 24th, 2008, 16:15
NiGHTS: Journey of Dreams. It was just awful, especially having such high hopes after the first one and waiting for, what, 10 years? They really dropped the ball on it.

____anders____
May 24th, 2008, 16:37
every game after i've beat it, the games are too short nowadays...
that's why i get all my games "the other way"...
the only consoles i have that's NOT modded are my atari 2600 and my NES, then all the rest (a crapload of them) are modded..

ZAFDeltaForce
May 24th, 2008, 17:14
Naruto SND 3. I paid good money importing it, only to finish the game in less than 5 hours. No replay value either.

masterchief929
May 24th, 2008, 17:58
most definitely FF3 for the NDS. horrible game.

sedkiller
May 24th, 2008, 18:02
Unlimited Saga for PS2... i bought this game because it was 2 for 20$ and i tought it would be a great rpg or something but when i started playing it was awfull...

Brainy142
May 24th, 2008, 18:07
shamu the ^%$#@#$ dolphin game. only got it because it came with ty 3 (not a bad game). You know those boxes in stores with 1 crap and 1 good game

booradley1212
May 24th, 2008, 18:36
Whizzbang Halo 3 isn't worth playing unless you're playing multiplayer. I play once a week at my friends house...2 tv's, 6-8 people and it is absolutely incredible fun. You NEED to try playing this with more than 4 people, all of them knowing how to play. Trust me.

I have to agree with GTA4 being a disappointment. San Andreas was a masterpiece. GTA4 was a letdown.

mike_jmg
May 24th, 2008, 19:23
The one I regret buying that left a bad feeling on me until today, Yoshi's Story for the N64, I bought it thinking it would be a sequel to Yoshi's Island I couldn't have been more wrong.

Most recently Burnout Dominator for the PSP, I really loved Burnout Revenge on the ps2 (IMO the besr racing game ever made), I knew there was no traffic checking anymore but still I wanted to se how bad was it, worst letdown I've ever had. I knew it was going to be bad, but not that bad

telnaur
May 24th, 2008, 19:35
Coded Arms - PSP :|

idapimp
May 24th, 2008, 20:16
dark summit

limming
May 24th, 2008, 20:47
There's too many to list...

kojiro7
May 24th, 2008, 20:48
Populous on Sega Master System.
I was a kid at that time,but they offered me at a cheap price this awful game and I bought it.
Generally I never regret another time,because from Psx 1 era and later,I never bought original game again,only pirate:)

mcdougall57
May 24th, 2008, 21:13
bioshock sigh...

Admired the art style and graphics but not the gameplay, somehow giving unlimited re-spawns at a chamber only a few seconds from the location of your death removes any feeling of threat and in most places it kinda bored me to death and the ending of the story really pi**ed me off.

with all the hype I expected this game to be breathtaking...

Sketchy
May 24th, 2008, 21:24
Ahhh, Viva Pinata!!!!! Don't know what on earth possessed me to buy that....

off topic: i noticed a few ppl here that have disliked GTA4, despite the shear amount of detail. The damage detection/animation is superb as with the rag doll physics too *sigh* cud go on.....but i won't :D

Auriman1
May 24th, 2008, 21:31
Sonic and the Secret Rings. To be fair, it might be better if they had offered more control schemes, but as it is, it's nothing short of terrible in my opinion.

alanparker05
May 24th, 2008, 21:58
Mine was a spectrum platform game from a magazine where i had to type in the code myself it took nearly a week to input but when i was around 80% done the tape twisted so i started again it took 4 days and when i played it was one of the crappiest games i ever played and only ever played for 20 minutes

mikebeaver
May 24th, 2008, 22:02
Final Fantasy 12, do Squenix not realise that we don't all love MMORPG's and they should just stick to making that game the way it used to be.
If FF 13 is the same then it will be the end of my love for the series, even X-2 was more enjoyable than 12 ffs!!

Mike..

goshogun1
May 24th, 2008, 22:25
Even though I was hyped like crazy for it, GTA IV. It feels like just a prettier incarnation of the previous entries. And for some reason I didn't like hearing the F-word almost every sentence. (it's not the word itself, just the gratuitous use) But most of all, the missions and stories bored me. Sure, the physics and damage you can do are amazing, but I still don't want to play it for some reason. I sound pretty lame don't I?
:o

Shadowblind
May 24th, 2008, 22:27
bioshock sigh...

Admired the art style and graphics but not the gameplay, somehow giving unlimited re-spawns removes any feeling of threat and in most places it kinda bored me to death and the ending of the story really pi**ed me off.

with all the hype I expected this game to be breathtaking...

Then no game has ever been good. Thats a pretty bold statement to make, even indirectly.

Triv1um
May 24th, 2008, 22:34
Haze.

I didn't want it, I was intrigued and i wanted to support the few exclusives the PS3 had (yes call it fanboy-ism).

Worst game I have ever played, I sold it to a friend for the same price I payed.

pspmodel1001
May 24th, 2008, 22:49
GTA IV, Even though it is a phenomenal achievement, and had one/some of THE best stories/characters, after the story, I just feel at a loss as to what to do. Even the achievements which usually subside this feeling haven't helped, it just doesn't motivate me to continue playing. San Andreas did, with its endless amounts to do, like flying planes, sky diving, random side missions and extensive story mode, but this just seems to lack, with only cluckin bells, Stevie's cars and pigeons to shoot. I wish I had rented it and completed the story.

I agree here.
Also south park, hated it.:mad:

jamotto
May 24th, 2008, 22:50
No game has disappointed me yet.

pibs
May 24th, 2008, 22:58
Excalibur 2555 AD on ps1..... horrible game!

mcdougall57
May 24th, 2008, 23:47
Is it just me or are all games now becoming even slightly disappointing? even the most hyped games now are becoming worse and worse with the occasional gem, I also find that people are scared to buy a game without reading a rating in fear they will lose money I mean just because a reviewer doesn't like it that doesn't mean you wont.

paughthead
May 25th, 2008, 02:06
Growlancer Heritage of War. Ultimate let down. I should have known with all the "buy me" pack-ins.

Togetherdukki
May 25th, 2008, 11:31
For the Nintendo DS:

Nintendo DS Browser, cause I have a Max Media Player (4GB HDD) with DSOrganise. (which happens to include a web browser (+download feautures from its database))

Worms open warfare (1 and 2), cause they released Worms open warfare 2 and it made the first one (which I bought first) look like a complete waste, unfortunately I bought the second worms game too.

For the Game Boy Advance:

Advance Wars, cause it got a bit more complicated throughout the game, but I still think its a good tactical game.

pocket MUSIC, cause its the worst music creation game EVER made. (For me)

Bomberman Tournament, actually its only the story mode I disliked, the battle mode its what got me to buy it.

To sum it all up I regret buying any of my games as I am going to order a SLOT 1 flashcard for my Nintendo DS, and I do regret buying the Max Media Player 4GB HDD, it lacks NDS ROMS support!

oooooomonkeys
May 25th, 2008, 12:08
surfing h30 on ps2 is the worst game i ever had the misfortune of playing, and also i was probably the only person who bought sea monsters on the wii and boy what a mistake that was, there the 2 worst that come to mind

Spotfist
May 25th, 2008, 12:48
My latest mistake would be GTA4, such a let down! Burnout paradise looks 10 times better! It does have a good story but I would have just bought a movie in that case :( I suppose Im lucky I bought the PS3/GTA combo so basically got it for free WOOT!

I know many will not agree with me but I think Assasins Creed was a loads of rubbish too! My flatmate bought it, when I first saw it I thought "wow this is gona be like GTA just in the past with no cars!" but how wrong could I have been? you do like the same 4 thingd over and over, beat dude up, picket pocket other dude, kill the target then run away... such a let down!

ojdon
May 25th, 2008, 14:30
I was a bit disappointed with FFVII when I brought it from Gamestation about a year or two ago. MY friend was obsessed with it and a lot of people on the internet thought it was the best one out of the 847348723928347 other games, I liked Final Fantasy IX I thought it was such a great game, I really didn't like FFVII.

Football Manager 2008 for the PSP was another bad "port" of the PC version, I have both but in the end you just can't beat the Championship Manager series.

josflint
May 25th, 2008, 16:16
I agree with sedkiller : Unlimited Saga on PS2 - what a waste of £30

booradley1212
May 25th, 2008, 16:30
Althought GTA4 was very pretty and physics were great, anyone who played and loved San Andreas knows this new game was a step backward. You're in NYC!!! Why are there only 4 or 5 shops you can go in? Why can't you go into skyscrapers and walk around??? I really had serious misconceptions about this game...San Andreas was bigger, there was more to do, more variety. GTA4 is great, don't get me wrong...but it's essentially a smaller San Andreas with updated graphics.

I bought a 360 for THIS? Its a good thing I have Mass Effect to dig into now or I'd be really pissed!!!

HexenDarkside
May 25th, 2008, 18:41
All Final Fantasy games after X-2... they just had to start taking it away from the traditional RPG style and muck it up, didn't they?

Also Red Steel. I bought it at launch with Twilight Princess, and to this day, I've only played Red Steel a total of 21 minutes.

mike_jmg
May 25th, 2008, 19:38
Is it just me or are all games now becoming even slightly disappointing? even the most hyped games now are becoming worse and worse with the occasional gem, I also find that people are scared to buy a game without reading a rating in fear they will lose money I mean just because a reviewer doesn't like it that doesn't mean you wont.

You couldn't be more right, also, if a reviewer likes it, it doesn't mean that you'll like it too

Mc_Logical
May 26th, 2008, 00:08
I don`t regret buying any game, because I woulda just spent it on other crap lol but yeah! theres games I was disappointed with... too lazy to think through

Aryn
May 26th, 2008, 02:27
Spectrobes would be at the top of my list. Sure, I only paid $15 for it, and it had a cool battle system as well as other features, but that was all overshadowed by the fact that the majority of the gameplay is literally "Walk two steps, scan the area, walk 2 steps, scan the area, reach a wall, turn around, walk two steps..." and you have to keep doing that just to progress through the game.

Assassin's Creed: Altair's Chronicles was another recent regret. The game was semi decent, but I purchased it believing that with its "3D graphics and extra features" that it would at least be similar to the original console game. Instead of full freedom of movement and all the cool stuff the original console game possessed, I get innocent bystanders that I can not kill, who at times keep assaulting me with rocks, and game play that amounts to an obstacle course where the object is to move from the left to the right.

If console systems could be added to the list, I would say that I regret purchasing a GP2X F200. Sure, the system still plays the original games, but I was hoping for PDA software and many games that are similar to the freeware on the Nintendo DS to become available in the near future. Instead, I get the same system I already owned with buttons instead of a joystick (which I admit is a slight improvement) and a firmware that takes 40 seconds to boot up and nothing that would justify the cost of purchasing it. Now there is another portable system called the Pandora that will be released soon, but I will wait until I have good rerason to purchase it instead of being an early adopter. Ah well, lesson learned.

I would also say that Chrono Trigger was another regret, but not because I purchased it. I traded it in after playing through it and found out a few days later that I could have sold it for hundreds of dollars.

andwhyisit
May 26th, 2008, 02:56
Astonishia Story

I would also say that Chrono Trigger was another regret, but not because I purchased it. I traded it in after playing through it and found out a few days later that I could have sold it for hundreds of dollars.
Yeah, my copy of Chrono Trigger cost me $300.