PDA

View Full Version : Retro Duo NES & SNES - Combined Nes and Snes Console

wraggster
May 28th, 2008, 23:51
New from Divineo USA (http://www.divineo.com/php/affstart.php?affcode=arboretum&prod=zz-retroduo)

http://www.divineo.com/divineo_support/products/zz-retroduo/big_img2.jpg

Have you been dying to play your old NES or Super Nintendo games once again? Perhaps you can't find your system, maybe you have the system, but need all the cables to hook it up, or maybe you are just sick and tired of the old thing never working properly?! With this brand new, top-loading system, you can play all of your favorite Nintendo AND Super Nintendo games once again on the same console, and the best part is, they will work every time!

- Compatible with SNES and NES Video Game
- Saves Space
- Reinforced Cartridge Doors
- Slide-proof Bottom Support
- Compatible with Most Japanese Titles
- Compatible with Original 16-bit controllers
- Sleeker Design
- Lighter in Weight
- Power Switch Button V2.0 (8-bit, Off, 16-bit)
- S-Video Connection Capability
- Air Through Vent to Prevent Overheating
- Dual Controller Ports
- Dual Game Slots
- 5V AC Adapter for Energy-Efficiency

price : $ 39.99

Eviltaco64
May 29th, 2008, 00:11
I eventually want to get ahold of either a Tristar64 (plays N64, SNES, and NES, except for SNES games with SA-1 and Super FX chips I believe) or a N64 flash cart/CD adaptor.

Either would be pretty amazing.

masterchief929
May 29th, 2008, 01:48
very tempting to buy. >.>

paughthead
May 29th, 2008, 03:16
I just grabbed one :thumbup:

Sp3ct0r
May 29th, 2008, 07:21
I want one :eek:

Broadus
May 29th, 2008, 09:14
This is amazing! Just yesterday I was thinking, "What will people like me do with their SNES games when their SNES consoles inevitably break?"
I don't have any NES games and my SNES console works fine, but when it breaks, something as awesome as this will save my cartridges from being useless. I like how it even supports Japanese games, apparently, and the original controllers.

____anders____
May 29th, 2008, 13:11
cool, but i'm playing my games on my wii, but i am tired of my nes not loading my cartridges sometimes..

but atleast it's working after all these years:)..

mnuhaily22
May 29th, 2008, 13:32
I have one, its called a PSP ;)

indstr
May 29th, 2008, 15:44
the controllers actually look pretty nice on this. can someone post a review once you get it?

jamotto
May 29th, 2008, 15:54
This plays Castlevania 3, I think I might buy this one.

kharaboudjan
May 29th, 2008, 19:21

well the NES is perfectly emulated on the psp, but the SNES arent that yet. hopefully it will be one day :)

(it has getting closer since the newly released SNESTYL from the jap. guys)

Veskgar
May 29th, 2008, 20:26
This type of thing is tempting to purchase. But with emulation continuing to improve, I doubt I'd be able to enjoy this as much as having it on the PSP.

I'm a collector that likes to collect old consoles still new or like-new in the box so this would prevent me from causing any wear-and-tear on the systems in my personal collection.

I'm curious as to the quality of the controllers. They look nice.

YourStillWithMe
May 29th, 2008, 21:33
This looks pretty sweet. My NES and SNES still run great but my SNES will probably die out very soon.

i have a modded psp, xbox, wi, Dreamcast, etc but having something else for the cartridges is cool. Nothing beats playing a game on the cartridge....nothing.

____anders____
May 29th, 2008, 23:09
This looks pretty sweet. My NES and SNES still run great but my SNES will probably die out very soon.

i have a modded psp, xbox, wi, Dreamcast, etc but having something else for the cartridges is cool. Nothing beats playing a game on the cartridge....nothing.

yeah you're right, nothing can ever beat the real deal:)
hehe i pleyed SMB a few weeks ago on my real NES and it was fun, i made it to world -1 in a few tries (i've practised on an emulator:D) hehe and i did some walljumps too;), to reach high places:D...

JKKDARK
May 29th, 2008, 23:24

Yes, but I don't believe you're playing legally with a PSP ;)

ojdon
May 29th, 2008, 23:51
It's tempting to buy one, but I would find a MegaDrive, Mega CD and 32x all built-in with each, now that would be handy and would actually sell quite a bit. =P

paughthead
May 30th, 2008, 02:25
I agree nothing beats the real thing. I own about 30 nes and snes games that I will need to find somehwere in my closet once my retro duo gets here.

Solidsnake3000
May 30th, 2008, 05:19
I will buy one this Sunday i think It looks so good. I might not play it just to have it will be nice.

mnuhaily22
May 30th, 2008, 05:49
Yes, but I don't believe you're playing legally with a PSP ;)
Haha, i'm not gonna say that I ripped all the games myself. but I do own most of them, if not all...

osgeld
May 30th, 2008, 18:39
they sell these at the local ma-pa shop down the street

for 10 bucks less...

anyway, they are crap

if you get one that wont fry your carts, you get one that runs hot and unstable

it WILL die in less than 3 months

dont piss your money away on badly designed, non lincenced, chineese garbage (probally get lead poisoning from the controlers anyway)

PS: this is like the 5th one ive seen to date, so if you think this is the only one ever made ...

jamotto
May 31st, 2008, 05:00
they sell these at the local ma-pa shop down the street

for 10 bucks less...

anyway, they are crap

if you get one that wont fry your carts, you get one that runs hot and unstable

it WILL die in less than 3 months

dont piss your money away on badly designed, non lincenced, chineese garbage (probally get lead poisoning from the controlers anyway)

PS: this is like the 5th one ive seen to date, so if you think this is the only one ever made ...

Though it's still a bit early to tell but so far everybody who has reviewed this has liked it.

osgeld
June 1st, 2008, 03:51
Though it's still a bit early to tell but so far everybody who has reviewed this has liked it.
i forgot to mention i had one for almost a year, it fried 4 carts, bubbled up the laminate on my cheapo entertainment center, and left a nice heat stain

opening the unit shows a scary combination of low amp power regulators and circuits that draw 2x more, if this were serious amperage the unit would be a fire hazard

bah
June 1st, 2008, 04:15
At best, these things normally do not have full compatibility and often have issues like incorrect colour/sound reproduction.
At worst, you have stories like osgeld's.

Cheap system-on-a-chip with low quality casing/power supply.

Just buy a used SNES or an XBOX to emulate one on (the compatibility and image quality from the xbox will most likely be better than this thing and you get save states etc too).
If you buy a used NES, replace the cart connector in it and you'll be good to go.

jamotto
June 1st, 2008, 04:45
i forgot to mention i had one for almost a year

You had this one or was it a different machine. If it was a different machine which one did you have?

If you buy a used NES, replace the cart connector in it and you'll be good to go.

Sadly the component connector died on mine. Most of of the places that advertise repair parts are shady to say the least.

Just something to take with a pinch of salt.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHZ3AMhzi6o

bah
June 1st, 2008, 05:04
You modded a NES to add component output?
Nice :)

An xbox would probably still look nicer (filters and all), having the actual carts/controller is much more pleasing in nostalgic terms though I agree.

Hateshinai
June 1st, 2008, 07:21
I have had one of these for over a month and I'm pretty happy with it. A few points:
The build quality is pretty good and I did not notice the console heating up even after prolonged use. Up to now I only used the SNES part but I will be getting some NES games tomorrow.
By using the S-Video output I get a better quality picture than I was getting with my old SNES.
It's really small so saves a lot of space if you have your consoles always hooked up.
The joypads are good but you might prefer to use the original SNES pads.
Compatibility with PAL SNES games is abyssmal, despite what the company says. Out of the 23 games I have 8 do not work due to region incompatibility.
The company behind this is apparently working on an adaptor to use original NES pads.

Hateshinai
June 1st, 2008, 16:49
Finally tried some NES games and the results are weird. When I use a SNES joypad everything is fine. When I use an autofire 3rd party pad all the buttons are remapped randomly. When I use the pads that came with the system I get problems as well: up and B becomes Start and Batman has missing walking animation. Very very weird... I only get these problems when I play NES games, SNES ones work without a hitch (as long as they are NTSC).

jamotto
June 1st, 2008, 18:21
You modded a NES to add component output?
Nice :)

Oh my I shouldn't dream aloud like that in public, I meant composite:o
The original NES had one video and one audio composite leads. Sadly mine died and I don't want to use the RF module. It looks like to replace the connectors would require replacing the whole motherboard

An xbox would probably still look nicer (filters and all), having the actual carts/controller is much more pleasing in nostalgic terms though I agree.

Running them on an emulator that touches up the graphics, just destroys the whole point of playing these old games for me.:D