PDA

View Full Version : 360 outselling PS3 since GTA IV launch (UK)

Darksaviour69
May 29th, 2008, 10:55
Sales of Xbox 360 consoles are 18 per cent ahead of the PlayStation 3 in the UK since the launch of Grand Theft Auto IV, Chart-Track told Eurogamer today.

In even better news for Microsoft, official GTA IV sales figures for the first four weeks also reveal that the Xbox 360 is the format of choice for UK gamers, with 57 per cent of the total sales of the game on 360, compared to 43 per cent on PS3.

Current Chart-Track panel figures place sales of the game in the UK at over 1.3 million, meaning around 750,000 copies have shifted on Xbox 360, and around 570,000 on PS3. To put that into context, in under four weeks Rockstar’s opus has shifted almost as many copies as last year’s best-seller, FIFA 08 - a game which launched on every format under the sun.

The effect on driving hardware sales has also been more dramatic on 360 than PS3, according to Chart-Track’s figures. Comparing sales of both consoles for the four weeks prior to GTA IV’s launch to the four weeks since its launch, hardware units have risen on 360 by 47 per cent, compared to just eight per cent on PS3 - though it’s fair to point out that the release of GT 5 Prologue had already given PS3 a significant boost in the weeks leading up to GTA IV’s debut.

Looking at the year to date, the picture looks much rosier for Sony. Taking all 21 weeks of 2008 into account, sales of PlayStation 3 in the UK are 10 per cent ahead of Xbox 360. Prior to the launch of GTA IV, the PS3 boasted a 20 per cent lead on 360, so the gap is narrowing.

With exclusive downloadable content due on Xbox 360 later this year, it looks like this might be the deciding factor for many. But will it be worth the huge sums Microsoft paid Take 2? Let us know what you think.

source: Eurogamer (http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=143670)

JKKDARK
May 29th, 2008, 11:00
Awesome, as I expected. The PlayStation 3 hasn't a good fanbase for video games.

wiggy fuzz
May 29th, 2008, 13:03
which version of the xbox 360 sold the most, anyway? if it was the arcade version that would mean the obvious price premium for the same game to be played on a sony console is comming into play...

____anders____
May 29th, 2008, 13:22
hmm, i knew this, cus the PSN comes no way near XLIVE when it comes to onlinegaming..

and of course it's cheaper too;)

matt3224
May 29th, 2008, 13:27
:cool: i have a ps3 and i got it because i am a loyal fan of playstation and im sure eventually the ps3 will come through, however microsoft does my f***ing head in with there way of just throwing money at any and all situations. ps3 is if you read the news on "Xbox360 | CPU: 115 GFLOPS | GPU: 240 GFLOPS | Combined: 355 GFLOPS" and "PS3 | CPU: 218 GFLOPS | (GPU: 1800 GFLOPS) | (Combined: 2018 GFLOPS)" also anyone know anything on an xbox blu-ray drive ??

Sketchy
May 29th, 2008, 16:14
ps3 is if you read the news on "Xbox360 | CPU: 115 GFLOPS | GPU: 240 GFLOPS | Combined: 355 GFLOPS" and "PS3 | CPU: 218 GFLOPS | (GPU: 1800 GFLOPS) | (Combined: 2018 GFLOPS)" also anyone know anything on an xbox blu-ray drive ??

ok so yeah, the ps3 is more powerful than the 360. But whats the point in a powerful machine, if the games library isn't as as impressive. My PS3 is used more as a DVD player than a games machine.

I do agree that in time the PS3 will shine, it's just that it needs those exclusive AAA titles. I've read on various websites that Haze isn't living up to it's hype...

As for an Xbox Blu-ray drive....would that even happen?? I know Blu-ray won over HD-DVD, but that just doesn't seem very feasible to me.

sfaok
May 30th, 2008, 13:01
I suspect MGS4 will give it a sufficient boost; personally I can't wait for that and it was one of the major factors in my purchasing a PS3. I know quite a few people who have been putting off buying a PS3 until the bundle pack is released. It'll be interesting to see how much MGS4 drives PS3 sales in USA, Europe and Asia.

Its gonna be a good year for the PS3 if Sony can deliver on some of their big titles and with the quality gap between multiplatform games being reduced, they have a solid base to build on.

osgeld
May 30th, 2008, 18:48
As for an Xbox Blu-ray drive....would that even happen?? I know Blu-ray won over HD-DVD, but that just doesn't seem very feasible to me.

why not, its not like the HD-DVD is in the system, all they have to do is put "plays blu ray" in huge letters on the front of the box and "with optional 300$ dumbass dongle usb drive" in super tiny print on the back

just like they did with hd-dvd

and this article is kind of a no brainer, same great game with the same great everything about it on a cheaper system, DUH course it sold more

oh yea matt, go ask apple how many ppl cared about having "more flops" when theres no software to use it, in the almost 2 decades apple was more powerfull than pc they almost went bankrupt 5 times with only goofy gadgets (ipod) saving them

Shadowblind
May 30th, 2008, 18:56
:cool: i have a ps3 and i got it because i am a loyal fan of playstation and im sure eventually the ps3 will come through, however microsoft does my f***ing head in with there way of just throwing money at any and all situations. ps3 is if you read the news on "Xbox360 | CPU: 115 GFLOPS | GPU: 240 GFLOPS | Combined: 355 GFLOPS" and "PS3 | CPU: 218 GFLOPS | (GPU: 1800 GFLOPS) | (Combined: 2018 GFLOPS)" also anyone know anything on an xbox blu-ray drive ??

--thus also stating that the PS3 has greater process then the greatest computer that exists. Thats a good $5,000? if its true, why isn't it manifesting itself? They've had more then a year to get this thing to show its potential. Why hasn't it?

Why don't I trust this?

Joe88
May 30th, 2008, 21:05
MGS4 is getting like perfect reviews all over the place

Spotfist
May 31st, 2008, 13:44
Im getting really sick of this now, every week it seems to be a different story, am I not correct in saying that a few weeks ago they said it was the PS3 that was at the top?

I totally agree with sketchy though, the PS3 will be the best option within a short while but at the moment I wish I had an xbox 360 instead based purely on the amount of games that are available. It miffs me a bit but Im sure more and more companies will move over to ps3.

MGS looks totally awesome too! ;)

Shadowblind
May 31st, 2008, 18:19
Im getting really sick of this now, every week it seems to be a different story, am I not correct in saying that a few weeks ago they said it was the PS3 that was at the top?

I totally agree with sketchy though, the PS3 will be the best option within a short while but at the moment I wish I had an xbox 360 instead based purely on the amount of games that are available. It miffs me a bit but Im sure more and more companies will move over to ps3.

MGS looks totally awesome too! ;)

I love how you all just "know" that the 360 will slow down and became utter crap and its gonna become useless right as the PS3 gets more game.

Honestly? Are you stupid or just acting? Of course the PS3 will get better, but you have no idea whether or not it will get better then 360. Even when the PS3 gets more games, does that obsolete the 360 simply because it had more games from the beginning to the end?

The PS3 will rise, but don't pretend that once it gets games all of a sudden the other consoles will stop existing. The PS3 is awesome, what Sony fanboys have made of the the PS3 is not.

Sorry for this Spotfish, its not you but a general statement to all fanboys. I've heard this condemnation crap enough. Forgive me.

Napalm-Death
June 1st, 2008, 21:24
I love how you all just "know" that the 360 will slow down and became utter crap and its gonna become useless right as the PS3 gets more game.

Honestly? Are you stupid or just acting? Of course the PS3 will get better, but you have no idea whether or not it will get better then 360. Even when the PS3 gets more games, does that obsolete the 360 simply because it had more games from the beginning to the end?

The PS3 will rise, but don't pretend that once it gets games all of a sudden the other consoles will stop existing. The PS3 is awesome, what Sony fanboys have made of the the PS3 is not.

Sorry for this Spotfish, its not you but a general statement to all fanboys. I've heard this condemnation crap enough. Forgive me.

On top of this, I love how the majority of 360 owners find every opportunity to bash the PS3 because of it's (current) lack of games. Love your console, play your console, live in your world, get out of mine.

scrabbus
June 3rd, 2008, 09:15
Come on people, lets not let this discussion turn into a scuffle!! Who cares what machine has the best specs, if you want a console...Buy it! In the grand scheme of things, what diference does it really make? NONE! What on earth posseses people to draw battle lines and affiliate themselves with a corporation, its all a little bit schoolyard, my dad is bigger than your dad type of stuff. I'm happy with what I have, a DS and Wii, and several retro consoles, I will be buying a 360 later this year only because it has stuff on it I want to play more and now that Mortgage, kids et al eat up my time and money, I have to base my reasons for purchasing on a number of factors, and happily not because I dislike Sony or Microsoft although I do loathe the MS ethic, I will still buy the console simply because thats consumer choice and this large capitalist world we live in gives us all the choice to buy pretty much anything we like, what it does not do however is stop fanboy fighting!!!