PDA

View Full Version : Fastest memory card the PSP can utilize?

Dunpeal1978
May 30th, 2008, 05:43
I want to buy the fastest card out there that the PSP can utilize. Does anyone have any suggestions.I looking replys from people who actually have tested their read/write speed,or know about the actual read /write speeds of their sticks and of the PSP.

pspmodel1001
May 30th, 2008, 05:56
The psp can read/write at speeds below 10MBps if I remember correctly.
That's why there is no noticeable difference in using a "high speed" sandisk in contrast with a "regular" one.
The only advantage would be write speeds if you were to use a card reader that supported those speeds (most USB 2.0 ones).

:)

bah
May 30th, 2008, 10:31
I've seen no noticeable difference between my standard (blue) sandisk and Ultra II sandisk card either.

Although, the standard sandisk card I have is older when they were SLC not MLC. I guess its possible the newer, MLC, standard cards may not be as good.

If nothing else, they are rated for a much lower number of write cycles than SLC based cards. Even that shouldnt matter unless you are changing what's on the card a LOT.

Just don't buy:
A) A sony brand memory stick (more expensive normally, slower).
B) Any card from ebay (almost all fakes)

jamotto
May 30th, 2008, 11:33
There is a big difference in write speeds between the ultra and the regular sandisk 8.1 MB per second vs 4.9 MB per second respectfully, it's very noticeable when copying over large files to the PSP.

danny_563
May 30th, 2008, 11:33
i would recomend a sandisk as they are much cheaper than sony and as bah said they are slower too

bah
May 30th, 2008, 11:44
jamotto: I'm talking actual speed achieved when used in the PSP, not the theoretical max. speed of the cards.
Have you copied the same file to each card (freshly formatted) and timed it?

There could be some difference, I certainly have never thought 'gee that was faster'.

And how recently was the standard (blue) card you are using as comparison purchased?

jamotto
May 30th, 2008, 19:01
jamotto: I'm talking actual speed achieved when used in the PSP, not the theoretical max. speed of the cards.

That was the actual speed achieved, I copied a 1GB file from the PC to the PSP while I timed it. I repeated the test three times and took the mean value of the tests.

And how recently was the standard (blue) card you are using as comparison purchased?

Both cards are about a year old.

bah
May 31st, 2008, 09:55
jamotto: Cool, cheers for the info.

Thats interesting enough for me to find my 1gb card and time a transfer on each myself.....

EDIT: A file took 1:03 to copy to the 4gb Ultra II, 1:12 to the 1GB standard blue.
Im to lazy to repeat it and the get the mean, it seems there is a small benefit to the ultra though.
Not a great difference, but its there.

If the ultra doesn't cost much more than the standard, get it.
Especially since the standard are MLC now, its worth it just for durability.

Dunpeal1978
May 31st, 2008, 19:39
How bout instead of talking and timing with clocks. Why don't we actually test our cards and compare the read/write speeds. Because from everything Ive seen online the Sony card are actually perform the best .I uploaded a tester for you to use.

bah
June 1st, 2008, 03:15
Because we can perform basic division?

the file was about 420MB

420/63 = 6.66MB/Sec
420/72 = 5.83 MB/Sec

If Jamotto has seen 8.1MB to an ultra then all the better, I'm rather surprised by that number being significantly higher than the standard even when being used in the PSP though.

I only copied the file once to each card, its not really a well conducted test but its enough to satisfy my interest.

Buy an ultra-II, they are better quality cards and it seems a little faster even in the PSP.

Jamotto: Slim of fat PSP?

Dunpeal1978
June 1st, 2008, 06:49
The memory card tester runs several tests and then averages out the results so you get a wholistic look at the cards performance....I wasnt insulting anyone

jamotto
June 1st, 2008, 07:45
Jamotto: Slim of fat PSP?

both are fats

bah
June 1st, 2008, 08:47
Dunpeal1978:
I never felt insulted, just saying that our tests are good enough to make the case for getting an Ultra II.
I've learnt something thanks to jamotto's info and don't really care about the matter beyond personal interest (now satisfied).

You have 2 people now who have confirmed personally that there is a benefit to the Ultra II. Combined with the extra durability due to the type of flash used in Ultra II cards, it seems quite clear that buying an ultra II would be a good idea.

When I purchased my 4GB ultra II it was not a great deal more expensive than a standard card, this was just after the 4GB cards were released so there may be a greater variance in cost now.

Just don't buy from ebay.