PDA

View Full Version : PS3 Graphics and cpu boosts

crazy frog
May 31st, 2008, 01:17
Ok so the ps3 is my favourite game console and this is probably the same for everyone else reading this.

But the ps3 graphics arent as good as the 360 graphics and game developers have to exclude content just to make the game as clear
http://uk.gamespot.com/features/6191251/p-5.html
just look at the link above.
thing is though the ps3 is not using all of its resources and like the psp (originally clocked at 222mhz instead of 333) is underpowered.
the previous playstation used the emotion engine cpu and graphics synthesiser gpu to power its games. and a number of ps3 consoles actually have these chips.

So why doesnt the ps3 use these resources with its cell and rsx. now to be fare these resources wouldnt make the ps3 graphics twice as good but the ps3 graphics would get a considerable boost

now im sure the dcemu community has something to say about this now please give me as much feedback as possible

masterchief929
May 31st, 2008, 01:29
ok, you asked for feedback, so here is my feedback. XBOX 360 ROCKS! IT PWNS THE PS3!

NoQuarter
May 31st, 2008, 02:41
Too bad those 360's don't last so long.
I too have wondered about the potential of having the emotion engine in the ps3 (I have the 60gig),I think it'll more than likely be realized with homebrew.

simonjhall
May 31st, 2008, 16:21
Hmm, the images in that gamespot link don't really show that one console is better than the other, it just shows the the images are slightly different! They both look really good too me.

And in answer to the actual question, that's like saying "my PC has a 7800 GTX, can I add in a Geforce 1 to increase my frame rate by 1%?"

crazy frog
May 31st, 2008, 17:56
I Agree 360 graphics are slightly better now and have been since the ps3 came out
but the 360 has been out about a year longer than the ps3 it shows the ps3 is just better if it can look that good.

also simonjhall dont underestimate the ps2 its a very powerful console and every ps3 apart from the 20gb and 40gb models have the main chips from the ps3.

I see what your saying though it might give slightly higher frame rates but it might be a small amount say 5%.

Cloudhunter
May 31st, 2008, 18:24
But the ps3 graphics arent as good as the 360 graphics and game developers have to exclude content just to make the game as clear

The graphics of neither console are better than the other. And sometimes they've added content - it just depends on the devs that work on it. The PS3 is every bit as capable as the 360 - but remember, devs haven't had as much time to get to grips with the PS3 as they have with the 360.

thing is though the ps3 is not using all of its resources and like the psp (originally clocked at 222mhz instead of 333) is underpowered.
the previous playstation used the emotion engine cpu and graphics synthesiser gpu to power its games. and a number of ps3 consoles actually have these chips.

So why doesnt the ps3 use these resources with its cell and rsx. now to be fare these resources wouldnt make the ps3 graphics twice as good but the ps3 graphics would get a considerable boost

It really wouldn't do much. The PS2 emotion engine only runs at something like 233 MHz. And not all consoles have the emotion engine now anyway. As for the graphics - it wouldn't do anything much at all. It's like using a Voodoo 1 to hardware accelerate a high end ATI or NVidia card.

As for them not using all the resources - that will come in time. It is very difficult to program for alot of cores, but eventually they will use all the power.

ok, you asked for feedback, so here is my feedback. XBOX 360 ROCKS! IT PWNS THE PS3!

GTFO, fanboy. To claim to be otherwise would be stupid considering your username is "masterchief929". Heck, even JKKDARK's arguments are better thought out than yours.

Too bad those 360's don't last so long.
I too have wondered about the potential of having the emotion engine in the ps3 (I have the 60gig),I think it'll more than likely be realized with homebrew.

Agreed.

Hmm, the images in that gamespot link don't really show that one console is better than the other, it just shows the the images are slightly different! They both look really good too me.

And in answer to the actual question, that's like saying "my PC has a 7800 GTX, can I add in a Geforce 1 to increase my frame rate by 1%?"

Agreed - I used a similar example myself, without even meaning to ;)

I Agree 360 graphics are slightly better now and have been since the ps3 came out
but the 360 has been out about a year longer than the ps3 it shows the ps3 is just better if it can look that good.

also simonjhall dont underestimate the ps2 its a very powerful console and every ps3 apart from the 20gb and 40gb models have the main chips from the ps3.

He's not underestimating it - it just pales in comparison to the PS3.

I see what your saying though it might give slightly higher frame rates but it might be a small amount say 5%.

I doubt it'll even be that.

Now, bring on JKKDARK spouting his useless arguments again.

Cloudy