PDA

View Full Version : since dc can play ......

vadim100
October 1st, 2005, 19:53
since the dreamcast can play cd's with the help of a boot disk can it play a sega cd game or saturn when using a boot disk?

DCDayDreamer
October 1st, 2005, 20:36
since the dreamcast can play cd's with the help of a boot disk can it play a sega cd game or saturn when using a boot disk?

Not at the moment, one day maybe - that's a 'BIG' maybe, but the DC scene has a few surprises yet.

vadim100
October 1st, 2005, 22:26
thats good to hear cuase i really want to be able to use my dreamcast to play all my old saturn and sega cd games

kgenthe
October 2nd, 2005, 14:15
Your Dreamcast will NEVER play Saturn games. Sega CD is possible, we'll see if the scene sticks with it.

quzar
October 2nd, 2005, 19:54
Your Dreamcast will NEVER play Saturn games. Sega CD is possible, we'll see if the scene sticks with it.

bluecrab is possibly the (first or second) most competent coder in the dreamcast emulation community. I've worked with him on yabause before and discussed it at length with him. His solutions to different issues in the emulator are some of the most brilliant i've ever heard of. The two things that make the saturn more powerful than lesser systems, the processors and the 3d are both issue that can be assesed easily by the dreamcast.

The reason the first yabause port did not play games was not because the dreamcast was incapable, it's because the windows/nix/mac version didn't play games yet either.

ptr.exe
October 3rd, 2005, 15:29
There are alot of posts dotted around like this...

I just want one simple answer (preferably from quzar) will it work? and is anyone working on it? ie. bluecrab

Christuserloeser
October 4th, 2005, 08:39
Not today, not tomorrow. But someday it will. The DC's main CPU, the SH4, is somewhat backward compatible to the Saturn SH2 CPUs. They share the same instruction set. Still it's a bit more complicated than it sounds because they use a different byte order (little endian / big endian) but he wrote at DCEmulation.com that he works on a real-time byte swapper to make full use of the possibilities.

Yabause-DC v0.0.7 emulated the Saturn BIOS already. Slow, but it did. It was a plain test port and Blue Crab is still working on Yabause-DC. As with most of us, he just doesn't have as much free time as he'd wish so it will take some time until we see a new release.

All we can do is wait and thank Blue Crab ! :)

quzar
October 4th, 2005, 08:59
As i said before the only reason the first yabause-dc only emulated the bios was because at the time, that is all the pc version did, not due to any limitations of the emulator or of the dreamcast.

ptr: it will work and bluecrab is working on it (usually about 70/30 time split between dcrpg and yabause-dc from what i understand)