PDA

View Full Version : Canadians Make Yourself Heard!

hadrian
June 3rd, 2008, 18:18
"My fellow Canadians, a matter of the greatest importance has come to our attention. TOMORROW new laws will be passed by the Canadian government which will effectively OUTLAW the use of modchips and flash carts, among other things.

This new copyright reform in the form of the Canadian DMCA has been influenced by US lobby groups rather than the voice of the Canadian people. What we're faced with is legislation that is potentially even more extreme than that of the US DMCA which is what allows the RIAA, MPAA, etc to function in the United States as they do.

This would be a blow not only to Canada, civil rights, and copyright law, but also YOUR rights, this fine community, and all of the businesses that make their living by selling said products. Our digital way of life would effectively come to a stop. They're even going as far as proposing a minimum $500 fine per incident. While copyright reform is an important issue, this is not the way to go about it.

In response to this backdoor policy making a growing movement and coalition has been actively pursuing making the Canadian voice heard in this legislative process. All is NOT lost; they previously attempted to impose similar legislation back in December but this very movement's response stopped them in their tracks. We MUST speak up! We MUST make ourselves heard before it's too late!

As such the Canadian Coalition for Electronic Rights has created a simple letter sending service that will allow for us to be heard. I implore any and all Canadians to use this service to send a letter to Prime Minister, Stephen Harper; Jim Prentice, Minister of Industry; and Josée Verner, Minister of Canadian Heritage TODAY before we have no tomorrow."

From GBAtemp staff Ace_Gunman
http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=89135

justicejoe
June 4th, 2008, 00:25
tell me where to go and ill show. direct me to the office and ill speak up.

Steely
June 4th, 2008, 22:57
Are you serious??

Actually, plenty of canadian laws are different in Quebec, anyway, so I think I'm okay.