PDA

View Full Version : PS3 Sucks Up Five Times as Much Energy as a Fridge, Ten Times as Much as a Wii

wraggster
June 3rd, 2008, 23:36
Compared to basically every other appliance you have plugged in at home, the Playstation 3 sucks up more juice. That's according to a new study by Australian consumer agency Choice, which found that when a PS3 is running, it sucks up five times more energy than a refrigerator. If you leave it on all the time for something like Folding@Home, you're looking at an energy cost of nearly $250 a year.

The Xbox 360 isn't all that much better, using 23.57kWh per week when idling compared to the PS3's 31.74kWh. The Wii, on the other hand, is downright dainty in comparison, using only 2.97kWh per week when idling, less than 10% of the energy used by the PS3.

It's all a good lesson to simply turn off your console, whatever it may be, when you aren't using it. I'm not one to disparage the good work done by Folding@Home, but if you leave your console cranking away on it all the time you'll spend enough to go out and buy a Wii by the time a year is up.

http://gizmodo.com/5012629/ps3-sucks-up-five-times-as-much-energy-as-a-fridge-ten-times-as-much-as-a-wii

Shrygue
June 3rd, 2008, 23:42
I switch off all my consoles at the wall and I don't use them too much so electricity usage here is kept as low as possible. I do For the Folding@Home on the PS3 but I usually do just one unit on any given day. 31.74kWh is alot of power to use though, I heard from somewhere before it was something like 380 watts an hour?

Veskgar
June 4th, 2008, 00:19
Well that sucks. I had no idea the PS3 was such an energy whore. I am really fond of Folding@Home and my PS3 has probably completed 120 work units so far. Now I may think twice about how long I leave it running for.

This also gives Nintendo even MORE respect for not only being innovative in gameplay but also being efficient with energy consumption.

osgeld
June 4th, 2008, 00:22
yea the wii also has...

a weaker cpu (single core isnt it?)
a weaker gpu
and no hard disk

i dont really trust the kw/h numbers, but i know if your fridge ran 24-7 for a week a ps3 would look like drops in the ocean

kinda like those yahoos that compare a gallon of gas to something like a gallon of pepto to make us feel better (or worse in this case)

____anders____
June 4th, 2008, 07:52
hehe in you face sony!:D

we have solar panels at home, for free warm water, so our bill got so small when we installed the panels so my wii's power consumption is a drop in the ocean:D

the water tank even gets too hot so it will have to cool itself by dumping some of the warm water, we get around 80-90 degrees celsius (sometimes even hotter) of warm water from the sun:)
eh, maybe a little of topic but anyway, now you know;) hehe

Accordion
June 4th, 2008, 10:09
It should be noted that the Wii uses more power when in standby [with wiiconnect24/7 turned off] than the PS3.

kjetil1991
June 4th, 2008, 13:33
:pok thats anouhter reason too not buy a ps3 then i have to pay my own electrisity:mad: at home not fun =(

paladinja
June 4th, 2008, 15:55
It should be noted that the Wii uses more power when in standby [with wiiconnect24/7 turned off] than either the 360 or the PS3.

Wait, what? would you mind siting a source on this... or maybe you just took a "Lying with statistics" class...?

Also I'm wondering if anyone has read if it's much of a difference if the PS3 is on standby or off completely?

Accordion
June 4th, 2008, 16:44
Wait, what? would you mind siting a source on this... or maybe you just took a "Lying with statistics" class...?

Also I'm wondering if anyone has read if it's much of a difference if the PS3 is on standby or off completely?

Simply follow the link to the original information
http://www.choice.com.au/viewArticle.aspx?id=106346&catId=100245&tid=100008&p=5&title=Computers%27+energy+costs

Wii uses 0.32 when in standby [red light, WiiConnect24-off] while the PS3 uses 0.30 when in standby [remote play-off]

Obviously if the console is turned completely off it uses no power at all. Wireless mains switches save the world!

Eviltaco64
June 4th, 2008, 17:52
Well, the Wii is completely new!
I mean it literally blows Gamecube out of the water with it's extra 250 MHz!

Mc_Logical
June 5th, 2008, 10:19
Well good job folding@home isn`t to fight global warming instead of disease, because sony would be contributing to global warming by using more energy... lol

aYu][Takeshi
June 5th, 2008, 11:50
What a bulls*** ~.~

PS3 (40GB) has ~120W -> 20,16 kW/week
Xb360 (Falcon) has ~100W -> 16,8 kW/week
Wii (every) has ~25W -> 4,2 kW/week
But if your Wii is in standby and Wii connect is on the Wii gets very hot -> use much energy, 15W I think.

by the way... a normal PC needs 150W and I don't want to talk about gamer PCs ;)
A big plasma screen needs more than 300W and nobody cares *lol*

And now? Back to the roots! never again electricity :D

Xiofire
June 5th, 2008, 23:26
I turn mine off at the wall, so im good.

Oh, and in before JKKDARK's inevitable anti-PS3 reply.

-Xiofire