PDA

View Full Version : Sega CD on Dreamcast?

matrix122112
May 7th, 2007, 03:13
Are there any Sega CD emulators for Dreamcast?

Elven6
May 7th, 2007, 03:16
No

Masta-G
May 7th, 2007, 16:55
Sonic CD would be awesome though...

Elven6
May 7th, 2007, 18:18
Someone asked this a while back and the person who responded said that Genisis emulation had to be Perfect before the "add-ons" could be emulated.

vbt
May 8th, 2007, 15:48
That would be amazing to play Snatcher, Silpheed and the others on the Dreamcast.

Rick_Son
May 9th, 2007, 06:46
I wonder if chui can do it just like the Neo4ALL?

vbt
May 11th, 2007, 22:15
let's hope it will happen.

VampDude
June 2nd, 2007, 22:35
No, and I would rather have 32X on Dreamcast because it is much better than Sega CD. But sadly MegaDrive/Genesis emulation on Dreamcast isn't even perfect and the first MegaDrive/Genesis emulator came out something like 6 years ago, which in my opinion is long enough to get things right with the 16bit console...

...But as things go, the Dreamcast (sadly) is not even capable of doing so. I think the best bet for Sega CD (thou now off topic) is the Xbox360 as I've heard that it can emulate Sega Saturn (so capable of Sega CD), thou Xbox360 is not a Dreamcast :(

JKKDARK
June 2nd, 2007, 22:39
No, and I would rather have 32X on Dreamcast because it is much better than Sega CD. But sadly MegaDrive/Genesis emulation on Dreamcast isn't even perfect and the first MegaDrive/Genesis emulator came out something like 6 years ago, which in my opinion is long enough to get things right with the 16bit console...

...But as things go, the Dreamcast (sadly) is not even capable of doing so. I think the best bet for Sega CD (thou now off topic) is the Xbox360 as I've heard that it can emulate Sega Saturn (so capable of Sega CD), thou Xbox360 is not a Dreamcast :(

It's possible to emulate Megadrive perfectly on Dreamcast. Also Sega CD/32X is totally possible, because we already have a Saturn emulator running commercial games.

fackue
June 2nd, 2007, 23:39
we already have a Saturn emulator running commercial games.
Yes, only at 10 FPS.

JKKDARK
June 3rd, 2007, 00:01
Yes, only at 10 FPS.

You can't expect full speed in the second release

VampDude
June 3rd, 2007, 18:30
You can't expect full speed in the second release

I would rather play Saturn on my Seag Saturn, and everything else on my Dreamcast (NES,SNES,GB,SMS,SMD,NEOGEO,MAME) :D

JKKDARK
June 3rd, 2007, 18:49
yes, at the second release, yes. Personally I would like to see in the future Yabause-DC with playable speed and save support. In this way, I don't have to put the Saturn under my television.

VampDude
June 3rd, 2007, 19:01
yes, at the second release, yes. Personally I would like to see in the future Yabause-DC with playable speed and save support. In this way, I don't have to put the Saturn under my television.

A good way to preserve the Sega Saturn (by keeping it in it's box) thou real gamers play their machines, but emulated Saturn doesn't beat playing the real thing...

...Reason why I bought another Saturn unit recently, I hate playing something that isn't near as close as playing the original. One day Saturn emulation will be perfect, but sadly it won't be on the Dreamcast.

Gold Line
June 3rd, 2007, 19:03
apart from sonic all sega cd games suck

JKKDARK
June 3rd, 2007, 19:07
apart from sonic all sega cd games suck

You are the first person in the world who doesn't like Lunar: Eternal Blue and Lunar: The Silver Star

Gold Line
June 3rd, 2007, 19:09
i dont know what they are but still all the games i ever played on the sega cd sucked.

JKKDARK
June 3rd, 2007, 19:12
Sega CD was just a 16-bit machine with better quality sound and added FMV to the games. Since the machine wasn't a success, the library of games wasn't great like the Sega Genesis.

Gold Line
June 3rd, 2007, 19:17
and why must you attach the sega cd to the Genesis its stupid and you have to attach that crap 32bit thing to the Genesis, sega was doing fine until they put all that crap on the Genesis.

VampDude
June 3rd, 2007, 19:37
and why must you attach the sega cd to the Genesis its stupid and you have to attach that crap 32bit thing to the Genesis, sega was doing fine until they put all that crap on the Genesis.

The CD addon had to be attatched to play games that couldn't be played via cartridge, plus Sega used it to take the Genesis/Megadrive to the next level (their first failure) then a year or two later came the 32X adapter which didn't do much good and only had a small handful of games. The 32X+CD made the Genesis a 32bit cartridge/CD games console, but that in all was a failure since the Sega Saturn and PSone were already in the console market and boosting games that the CD+32X would never of been able to handle as the Genesis+32X+CD's CPU wasn't even close to the likes of the Saturn...

...Just imagine it trying to play Panzer Dragoon Saga, SegaCD+32X = waste of time (as the PS1 was already released, and Saturn the year after)

Mr.Denny
June 3rd, 2007, 22:56
Oh man, just imagine Snatcher on the Dreamcast via a Sega Cd emu. :(

A man can dream...

Christuserloeser
June 4th, 2007, 17:50
Although most (US) CD games were nothing but crappy FMVs with 0% gameplay, I love the Mega CD (or Sega CD as it's called in the US) for all its MD -> CD conversions and the few original games it got.

But the 32X sucks. It has to be the worst system ever released. Even the CDI is better as you don't need to plug it on top of something else to play a game.

mastersho
June 4th, 2007, 17:56
I just love the sega cd for NiGHTs.....and sonic cd. Those were some of the best games for the Sega CD.

Christuserloeser
June 4th, 2007, 18:03
I just love the sega cd for NiGHTs.....and sonic cd. Those were some of the best games for the Sega CD.

Nights was a Sega Saturn game. ;)

My favorite Sega CD games are:

Keio Flying Squadron
Robo Aleste
Shining Force CD
Sega Arcade Collection 4-in-1 (featuring an exclusive version of Golden Axe with CDDA)
Final Fight CD (features three exclusive stages and a great CDDA soundtrack)
Sonic CD
Shining Force CD
Ecco The Dolphin CD
Ecco 2: The Tides of Time CD

...and a dozen others I haven't played in ages and can't remember right now.

mastersho
June 4th, 2007, 18:08
whoops, got a bit confused there. oh well, the sega arcade collection was pretty boss. golden axe never gets old.]!

dc-ton
February 7th, 2008, 12:23
sega cd!

and remember
SILPHEED
TIME GAL
ROAD AVENGER
SAMURAI SHOWDOWN
ETERNAL CHAMPIONS CD
OUT OF THIS WORLD & HEARTH OF THE ALIEN

ShoShoKid
February 8th, 2008, 08:41
i dont know what they are but still all the games i ever played on the sega cd sucked.

You obviously have not played many:

Sonic CD
Lunar: Eternal blue
Lunar: Silver star
Silpheed
Willy Beamish
AH3 Thunderstrike
Bari-Arm
Brutal (this is the only good version)
Ecco
Dark Wizard
Earthworm Jim: SE
Eternal Champions: Challengers from the dark side
Eye of the Beholder
Lethal Enforcers
Snatcher
FlashBack
Lords of Thunder
Mickey Mania
Panic!
NBA JAM
Popful Mail
Puggsy
Road Avenger
Secret of Monkey Island
Robo Aleste

And the best version of Final Fight available during the 16-bit generation, I even liked it more than the arcade version.

The problem with SEGA CD is while many of the games it had were good, were not exclusive. Things like Final Fight, and Brutal had watered down versions on other systems. That, and it didn't warrant the price tag.

That being said, it sold roughly 6 million worldwide. Not too bad for a add-on.

Medion
February 18th, 2008, 08:19
...Just imagine it trying to play Panzer Dragoon Saga, SegaCD+32X = waste of time (as the PS1 was already released, and Saturn the year after)

If we're talking about the US, the 32X came out before Saturn and Playstation.

32X = November 1994
Saturn = May 1995
PS1 = December 1995

You have your timeline backwards.

Eviltaco64
February 18th, 2008, 19:36
If we're talking about the US, the 32X came out before Saturn and Playstation.

32X = November 1994
Saturn = May 1995
PS1 = December 1995

You have your timeline backwards.

Actually, he was talking about Japan.
In Japan it was like this:

Sega Saturn - November 22, 1994
Playstation - December 3, 1994
Sega 32X - December 3, 1994

So technically, Playstation and 32X came out on the same day and the Saturn came out first.

Also, nice job to the person above that revived an 8 month old thread. Sega CD emulation on the DC would be great.

Medion
February 18th, 2008, 20:03
Actually, he was talking about Japan.

No, he wasn't. He said:

SegaCD+32X = waste of time (as the PS1 was already released, and Saturn the year after)

Show me on your timeline where the Saturn came out 1 year AFTER the PS1.

Eviltaco64
February 18th, 2008, 20:15
Show me on your timeline where the Saturn came out 1 year AFTER the PS1.

He mightve been talking about the Japanese release year of PS1 (1994), and the American release date of the Saturn (1995).

And to tell you the truth, it's nothing to fuss about.

Medion
February 18th, 2008, 22:13
He mightve been talking about the Japanese release year of PS1 (1994), and the American release date of the Saturn (1995).

And to tell you the truth, it's nothing to fuss about.

I wasn't fussing about it. I corrected his timeline. You then had to interject that I was wrong, but then ended up wrong yourself. Since you're wrong, NOW, you're saying it's nothing to fuss about :)

Eviltaco64
February 18th, 2008, 22:27
I wasn't fussing about it. I corrected his timeline. You then had to interject that I was wrong, but then ended up wrong yourself. Since you're wrong, NOW, you're saying it's nothing to fuss about :)

No, actually, you had to correct someone who's currently banned's 8-month old post. And how was I wrong to say that I thought he (VampDude, who lives in Europe) was talking about Japan and the US/Europe combined (where the Saturn came out in 94 in Japan and the PS1 came out in 95 everywhere else)? To me, that's the only logical explanation of him saying that. And, please, stop trying to make me look like a dumbass as you have been in every thread I've been aruing with you in.

You were right if you're talking about one region by itself, though.

Smurph
February 19th, 2008, 18:25
Would someone lock this goddamn thread already?
SegaCD on dreamcast won't happen playably. Ever.

Furthermore, it's devolved into ****wits arguing over nothing in particular.

Eviltaco64
February 19th, 2008, 21:17
Actually, I heard a developer say once that Sega CD Emulation was possible, but they would prefer to perfect Genesis/Megadrive emulation first (which is pretty far along).
But I doubt that there are any devoted coders out there that could make that a reality.

Medion
February 20th, 2008, 00:29
No, actually, you had to correct someone who's currently banned's 8-month old post. And how was I wrong to say that I thought he (VampDude, who lives in Europe) was talking about Japan and the US/Europe combined (where the Saturn came out in 94 in Japan and the PS1 came out in 95 everywhere else)? To me, that's the only logical explanation of him saying that. And, please, stop trying to make me look like a dumbass as you have been in every thread I've been aruing with you in.

Alright, I'm going to try to clarify this, without sounding inflamatory.

In the original comments, he stated that he felt that the 32X should not have been released, because the PS1 had already been out, and the Saturn was around the corner.

I merely corrected the timeline to show that none of the next gen systems were out. I agree that the 32X should not have been released, but not for the reason listed.

You then quoted me, and said that he mean a different region, however, I clarified that even in that region, his timeline didn't fit.

Are we clear now? My post was not for the sake of making a retarded correction (which it would be, by itself), but to clarify that his reasons for not wanting the 32X released were unfounded.

Christuserloeser
February 20th, 2008, 13:30
There's no reason to lock this thread. And yes, it doesn't make sense to work on SCD emulation when there's still room to improve the Genesis emulation.

Also, there already is LTK's HOTA-DC (http://ltk.dciberia.net/index.php?archive=1145629857&subaction=list-archive&do=archives) (Download from HERE (http://ltk.dciberia.net/dreamcast/dreamcast.htm)) which emulates Heart of the Alien on Dreamcast and SCUMMVM does emulate Monkey Island SCD (although they both are interpreters, and not exactly emulators).

Regarding the time line discussion:
The 32x initially was released in North-America in mid November 2004, the Saturn about seven days later in Japan.

dodgeme
February 23rd, 2008, 16:47
I know i probably have no idea what im talking about but couldnt someone port Picodrive or something that plays sega cd games just to proove that its possible. I dont see why it would have to be super fast fps just make it playable. At least it would get everyone to shut up.

Eviltaco64
February 23rd, 2008, 18:33
I know i probably have no idea what im talking about but couldnt someone port Picodrive or something that plays sega cd games just to proove that its possible. I dont see why it would have to be super fast fps just make it playable. At least it would get everyone to shut up.

I'd say that a port of PicoDrive is possible.
It already emulates Sega CD pretty well on PSP and GP2X.
But the homebrew scene for the Dreamcast isnt as lively as it was a few years ago when the best emulators were released. I dont even know if there would be any coders out there that are devoted enough to make a better Genesis emulator with Sega CD support for DC.

Christuserloeser
February 24th, 2008, 07:38
I read good things about PicoDrive... - It might be worth a look. Maybe its source code can help improving GenesisPlusDC....

dodgeme
February 25th, 2008, 22:45
I really hope it develops into something as its becoming harder to find Sega CD's.

dcdood
April 24th, 2008, 23:03
it will! Once Genisis Emulation is improved and optimized on DC. Its pretty much Downhill from there (not saying it's easy , that i doubt) i guess the only things left to add would be CD Access, BIOS Loading, and Decent FPS for CDs with FMVs. (heard this was slow on 68k though :P)

*if you build it, Sega Fans will come!*

Eviltaco64
June 4th, 2008, 17:29
Well I know that this is a very old question, but what do you think about it?

I honestly think that Genesis emulation is at 90% now (fullspeed, compatible with most games, kind of choppy sound, etc), and I think Sega CD emulation is possible, and if not, maybe as a standalone single game emulator (as I think Money Island is already emulated).

What's your honest opinion?

Christuserloeser
June 11th, 2008, 20:12
Merged with the other thread.

- Both Heart of the Alien and Monkey Island are already emulated, yes.

SCD emulation is planned by Fox68k and BlackAura for a future version of Gens4All. The Genesis + Sega CD combo is about twice the hardware power of the NeoGeo, so it won't be as easy as some might think:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sega_cd#Technical_specifications

Judging from the specs along it might seem impossible to bring SCD emulation to Dreamcast, but many games don't actually use the SCDs hardware at all, so there are some simple 'tricks' that could be used:

1) underclocking the Mega Drive's Z80 + Sega CD's M68000 to the lowest rate possible
2) disabling the Sega CD's Ricoh RF5C164 sound chip
3) keep sample rate for the Mega Drive's FM emulator at a comparably low frequency during SCD emualtion (or disable FM/PSG emulation altogether - there still would be CDDA playback)
4) use BlackAura's PowerVR based VDP renderer (GenesisPlusDC)

This means that we won't see a 100% perfect SCD emulator for Dreamcast, but we likely will see one that is easily capable of playing many of the best games.

Eviltaco64
June 15th, 2008, 01:10
I'm happy with that ^_^

Soopahsonic
June 15th, 2008, 04:44
Would SCD (or better yet, Genny) emulation work well on 240mhz overclock?

Eviltaco64
June 16th, 2008, 06:18
Im just posting here to test and see if I can actually post now

JonnyTanna
April 30th, 2009, 17:15
I never knew there was a Saturn Emulator for Dreamcast?

Did it ever reach 100% speed?

Cast128dreams
May 1st, 2009, 01:18
Its like Dreamcast scene should give this to the Dreamcast fans like its obligated...

Unfortunately Saturn games on Dreamcast looks a far Dream.Yabause i think its the saturn emulator for the Dreamcast and it only emulates the saturn bios.Most game stucks and they are FULLY unplayable.

Saturn emulation,PLAYSTATION emulation,sega CD emulation, would boost the Dreamcast scene many levels!!!..
I really hope and wish that Chui someday will deliver us the PSX4ALL to Dreamcast and we alll gonnnaa be so happy.!!!

JLF65
May 2nd, 2009, 00:04
Given how well PicoDrive runs Sega CD games on the PSP, it would be surprising if the Dreamcast COULDN'T do the same. I think someone trying to do Sega CD on the Dreamcast should probably start with the PicoDrive code and optimize from there.

uberpubert69
May 7th, 2009, 05:51
its sad to see nothing has come up yet for the past 2-3 years, im still waiting for a new snes9x port, i guess the dreamcast is like a flickering light to developers/coders. now that the iphone and other advanced systems are out, i dont see the dreamcast getting attention ever again.

Darksaviour69
May 7th, 2009, 10:23
test