PDA

View Full Version : GTA: San Andreas tops US all-time game sales

Darksaviour69
June 6th, 2008, 11:27
Forbes recently ran a story focusing on the best-selling US games using updated NPD Group data.

Despite the fact that the data Forbes looked at went back 15 years, all of the titles on the list were released after 2001 - perhaps not so surprising when you consider that the best-selling console of all-time (the PS2) was released in 2000.

Three titles from last year - Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock and Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, both from Activision, and EA's Madden NFL 2008 - have now made the Top Ten list, no doubt bolstered by their release on multiple platforms.

The Top Ten best-selling titles in the US based upon units sold are:

* 1. Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas (9.43 million)
* 2. Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock (8.2 million)
* 3. Madden NFL 2007 (7.7 million)
* 4. Grand Theft Auto: Vice City (7.3 million)
* 5. Madden NFL 2006 (6.65 million)
* 6. Halo 2 (6.6 million)
* 7. Madden NFL 2008 (6.56 million)
* 8. Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare (6.25 million)
* 9. Grand Theft Auto III (6.2 million)
* 10. Madden NFL 2005 (6.1 million)

Via gamesindustry.biz (http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/gta-san-andreas-tops-us-all-time-videogame-sales)

brenner78
June 6th, 2008, 13:40
Sorry few questioning this news but in my eyes this is absolute crap and probably just sponsored marketing.

Speaking of sales "Super Mario Bros" (NES) ist still the all-time leader with 29.5 million units sold in the US and more than 40 million worldwide!

Oh, right... "Forbes looked at went back 15 years" and SMB was released in 1985. Well, then how about this:

"Wii Sports" (Wii) sold almost 12 million units in the US so it is still 2.5 million ahead of GTA4.

I wonder who at Forbes did such a miserable job on researching their figures!?

nambit
June 6th, 2008, 14:04
Oh, right... "Forbes looked at went back 15 years" and SMB was released in 1985. Well, then how about this:

"Wii Sports" (Wii) sold almost 12 million units in the US so it is still 2.5 million ahead of GTA4.

But weren't those pack-in games with systems? It's hardly a fair comparison if you ask me.

Shuichi
June 6th, 2008, 14:28
Seems fair enough to me.

NeoXCS
June 6th, 2008, 14:55
Not really, you HAVE to get the game with the system. It's not really a game sale. I know personally a ton of people who could care less about the game and have a wii. And that is just locally. If people went and bought it separately I'd be more inclined to feel it deserved it, but the game is more like a tech demo.

Ayla
June 6th, 2008, 16:11
I really doubt that no Pokemon game is on the top ten.

Peedo
June 6th, 2008, 16:36
yeah, i thought resident evil 4 was the best selling one back in 05.

JKKDARK
June 6th, 2008, 16:52
This is my favorite Grand Theft Auto game, nice numbers :)

hadrian
June 6th, 2008, 16:58
I guess Nintendo doesn't exist to them.

masterchief929
June 6th, 2008, 17:34
i think that they didn't include Ninty because Ninty is in a whole other league, and that makes them cry.

wolfpack
June 6th, 2008, 17:43
i find it funny how the gta games take over the whole chart

(edit: Post 1000?! thats a record for me in a forum, haha :D)

Veskgar
June 6th, 2008, 18:12
San Andreas? Are you serious? This list didn't look right to me either. I had thought other titles sold much more.

radiansansred
June 6th, 2008, 18:26
I believe this is for US-made games, in which case I'd believe San Andreas tops the list.

No doubt if it was worldwide, there would be a few Pokemon games on there.

Darksaviour69
June 6th, 2008, 19:55
GTA is made by a British developer, Rockstar.

ICE
June 6th, 2008, 22:37
4 Maddens lol. Crazy.

-=me=-
June 7th, 2008, 03:49
People buy a new madden every year. and every year its the same game.

ICE
June 7th, 2008, 04:35
The Wii version this year looks intriguing.

osgeld
June 7th, 2008, 06:44
People buy a new madden every year. and every year its the same game.

oh but they change stats and add the freshmen players you wont use anyways, thats worth 60$ isnt it?

Joe88
June 7th, 2008, 09:06
But weren't those pack-in games with systems? It's hardly a fair comparison if you ask me.

yup your right
it doesnt count here, but in japan it wasnt bundled, or so im told...

____anders____
June 7th, 2008, 10:45
i think that they didn't include Ninty because Ninty is in a whole other league, and that makes them cry.

hehe yeah that's right!:):p

brenner78
June 7th, 2008, 13:38
Ok, I know what you mean. In my opinion it's fair to count e.g. Wii Sports sales because most of the people bought a Wii console due to this game (the Wii didn't have much else to offer in the first 12 month).

But nevertheless I get your point... somehow. But still the quotet numbers are crap. Why so?

As Darksaviour69 quotet according to Forbes the best selling game in the US of all times is GTA:IV with 9,43 million units.

Lets have a look which games sold more than that (numbers in million, US sales only):

Super Mario Bros (NES) 29.52
Duck Hunt (NES) 27.34
Tetris (GB) 23.55
Super Mario World (SNES) 12.97
Wii Sports (Wii) 11.92
Pokemon Red / Green / Blue (GB) 11.44
The Sims (PC) 11.39
Super Mario Land (GB) 10.99
Super Mario Bros 3 (NES) 9.69

So, since as I recall, neither Duck Hunt, The Sims Super Mario Land and Super Mario Bros 3 came bundled with a console... well, I have to repeat that Forbes' numbers are either made up for marketing reasons (or whatever reasons they have) or the person responsible finding those numbers did a really bad job.

Sunny greetings, Brenner

Darksaviour69
June 7th, 2008, 15:06
brenner78, where are you getting those numbers? forbes used data from NPD Group which are the official software sales trackers in the US. I think your numbers are "north American" including canada mexico etc sales, not just US sales, which forbes report is. But still you would think that Wii sports be up there.

jamotto
June 9th, 2008, 15:06
So, since as I recall, neither Duck Hunt... came bundled with a console

Duck Hunt actually was a pack-in title.

Shuichi
June 10th, 2008, 15:56
His numbers are accurate and Duck Hunt was bundled? It came with the gun?

JKKDARK
June 10th, 2008, 17:13
Yes.

Duck Hunt has been placed in several combination cartridges. In the original Action Set configuration of the NES in the late 1980s, Duck Hunt was included with Super Mario Bros..[13] This particular cartridge is found quite often in the United States, due to it being included with the purchase of a NES.[13] If one had purchased the NES system in a bundle with the Power Pad, then Duck Hunt was included on a 3-in-1 cartridge that also included World Class Track Meet and Super Mario Bros.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duck_Hunt