PDA

View Full Version : my umd drive is making irritating noises :(

dark heart
June 7th, 2008, 00:46
hi, from the moment i turn on my psp (phat) to the moment i turn it off, the umd goes crazy, it's like it thinks theres a disk in there but finds out theres no disk, then it repeats. this is really irritating in all circumstances. I've resorted to shoving a cloth in there, but that doesn't stop it either. anyone understand this technical weirdness?

please, no costly ideas, ie go buy a new one.

jamotto
June 7th, 2008, 02:24
Does the laser light up? or is the laser part just sliding back and forth? Does it read from a UMD or does it give an error?

dark heart
June 7th, 2008, 02:51
Does the laser light up? or is the laser part just sliding back and forth? Does it read from a UMD or does it give an error?

the laser just slides back and fourth. it doesn't light up.

jamotto
June 7th, 2008, 03:57
Ok, if it plays UMD's with out problems then try and tighten all the screws on the psp.

dark heart
June 7th, 2008, 11:14
thanks, I'll try that, the umd does still play umds

dark heart
June 7th, 2008, 11:19
oh wait, there a few screws here, it's easier if i know which ones would be causing it, could you tell me please, or just tell me which ones would that don't matter.

would it just be the ones in the umd drive?

EDIT: Ok, I've tightened every screw i can see... nothing.

NoQuarter
June 7th, 2008, 19:35
for what it's worth,I physically pushed the laser to one side to fix a umd problem that was similar but it didn't read discs.
personally I would take the whole thing apart and inspect the umd drive for damage,then hit it with compressed air before putting it back together.

jamotto
June 7th, 2008, 23:05
If the psp's warranty has expired, then NoQuarter's idea would be one of the next things to do. The other thing is to flash the IPL from a known good psp over to yours. Both non slim psp's must be running 1.5 firmware and you would dump the nand using nandtool for example. You must only flash the IPL, nothing else.

dark heart
June 8th, 2008, 11:50
for what it's worth,I physically pushed the laser to one side to fix a umd problem that was similar but it didn't read discs.
personally I would take the whole thing apart and inspect the umd drive for damage,then hit it with compressed air before putting it back together.

Hmm. I'm not good with this kind of thing, and can't trust myself not to screw up my psp, until it becomes a real problem, I'll just stuff tissues into the drive.
thanks anyway

pspmodel1001
June 9th, 2008, 05:57
Hmm. I'm not good with this kind of thing, and can't trust myself not to screw up my psp, until it becomes a real problem, I'll just stuff tissues into the drive.
thanks anyway

Or put a UMD in it and have it spin down and make no noise.

pspmodel1001
June 9th, 2008, 05:58
thanks anyway

pspmodel1001
June 9th, 2008, 05:58
thanks anyway