PDA

View Full Version : GTA IV didn't boost console sales, says analysts

Shrygue
June 9th, 2008, 19:18
via Games Industry (http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/gta-iv-didn-t-boost-console-sales-says-analysts)

Analysts at Lazard Capital Markets and Wedbush Morgan secutities have said in their May NPD preview that Grand Theft Auto IV has not generated a meaningful increase in sales for either console - contradicting claims made by Microsoft and Sony - and that software sales for the month have increased in excess of 30 per cent.

Outlining predictions for the games industry ahead of the NPD results, the analysts Michael Pachter, of Wedbush Morgan, and Colin Sebastian of Lazard Capital Markets, predicted a 39 per cent and 30 percent growth in software sales respectively.

Both noted key titles for driving the sales such as Grand Theft Auto IV, Iron Man, Wii Fit, Enemy Territory: Quake Wars, and of Mario Kart Wii.

"Solid videogame software sales continued in May, and we expect roughly 30 per cent growth in console and handheld software for the month," Sebastian said.

However, he added, "We do not believe the recent release of GTA IV has generated meaningful incremental demand for the Xbox 360 or PS3 platforms"

The analysts further noted that price cuts could do more than GTA IV to boost console sales.

"Next generation console unit sales are running well ahead of the level in the analogous period of 2003 (when console prices averaged under USD 200), implying room for significant sales growth as price cuts are implemented," Pachter explained.

donutman
June 9th, 2008, 19:30
thats exactly what they need to do is cut the prices

mcdougall57
June 9th, 2008, 20:33
obviously, who'd buy a console for only one game?

Mc_Logical
June 9th, 2008, 20:34
It didn`t? well maybe because most allready owned the consoles, but GTA IV still sold past records, when theres a positive, theres allways a negative, allways something to contradict another, but every1 is like it uh!

pas
June 9th, 2008, 20:41
What the hell ? Those friggin Analysts are pissing me off (sorry, just saying what I think)...

First: the Iphone will crush the DS.. now GTA IV didn't boost sales, then the DQIX prediction... whats next ? Where do they get their numbers and weirdo ideas ? By rolling a dice ? Come on'

Sonicboy 101
June 9th, 2008, 21:04
Analysts say a lot of things.
I don't really pay much attention to 'em.

mike_jmg
June 9th, 2008, 21:23
price cut is the one that will boost sales

I only like around 4 games for the PS3 right now, maybe if there were more, that would justify my purchase.

In the meantime i'm still hooked with my PSP, I'll buy a ps3 when something really good comes out and when I have enough money to throw away

pibs
June 9th, 2008, 21:30
analyst always say the obvious.

I think most people who purchased this game owned a 360 or ps3 already.

jdnation
June 9th, 2008, 22:04
The whole point of this is that everyone hoped that GTAIV would convince the large majority of casual people who liked the past series to purchase a next gen console. However it seems that GTAIV doesn't have that kind of pull... Casual gamers are hoping on board the Wii which killed the 360 and PS3 combined with its sales numbers.

The only conclusions that can be drawn are that the price of the PS3 and 360 are still a hindrance to casual gamers and there's no great appeal to draw new people in whereas Nintendo has stolen the hearts and minds of the population with its innovative motion control ideas.

goity
June 9th, 2008, 22:17
...actually, the PS3 and 360 combined have outsold the Wii, but I get what you mean.

davidcrew
June 9th, 2008, 23:24
well for the u.s., gta4 came around the same time that gas prices have seen a drastic increase in cost, with numbers going up ridiculously on some days. The ineffectiveness of gta4 to sell consoles could not be that people don't like the game, they're simply looking at their priorities:

a few hundred dollar system with a few great games...or saving it and using it to pay for going to work and buying increasingly expensive food products

Shadowblind
June 10th, 2008, 00:22
Funny, seeing as Microsoft and retailers said it did.

osgeld
June 10th, 2008, 01:26
as much as im dying to play gta 4 i cant afford the hardware

i just put 10$ in my car for less than a 1/8th of a tank, rent cost me more than my parents house note

the last thing i can do is go out and buy a stupid arse video game console that really does nothing else, to play all the same old stuff, but now in HD that cost more than both my computers

ill wait till what september? then my raggagdy old pc, which is more than capable of playing GTA4, just maybe not in 4080PPI super joygasim hd, but i cant afford one of those either

its sad when video game anal-ist are worried about game sales when it takes almost 50$ to fill a friggin kia rio

factor remix
June 10th, 2008, 02:33
Analyst said my mom will die, but she didn't :)

davidcrew
June 10th, 2008, 02:48
Analyst said my mom will die, but she didn't :)

hahah:D

kjetil1991
June 10th, 2008, 17:37
lower the price and free xbox live:D that will boost the sales

K1ckass
June 10th, 2008, 23:35
obviously, who'd buy a console for only one game?
Exactly. I really want to play GTA 4, but I'm not just gonna buy a PS3 or a XBox 360 for just one game.

Sketchy
June 11th, 2008, 13:33
lower the price and free xbox live:D that will boost the sales

What is with the amount of ppl complaining about the price of an XBL subscription?? I personally don't believe that £40 for 365 days a year of unlimited demo d/l's, multiplayer goodness is a rip of.

Granted if ya only play a few weeks out of a month well don't pay for 1 year.

Also if XBL became a free service, it would be a awesome as the PSN :rolleyes:

Note: If I came across all mad and Sh***y, it was not my intention :D

kjetil1991
June 11th, 2008, 21:32
What is with the amount of ppl complaining about the price of an XBL subscription?? I personally don't believe that £40 for 365 days a year of unlimited demo d/l's, multiplayer goodness is a rip of.

Granted if ya only play a few weeks out of a month well don't pay for 1 year.

Also if XBL became a free service, it would be a awesome as the PSN :rolleyes:

Note: If I came across all mad and Sh***y, it was not my intention :D
its better free because im not always using my 360 and that lost time is a waste of money:(