PDA

View Full Version : An Excellent Text Editor

Bowser N64
June 10th, 2008, 06:58
Hi. I was browsing online for a good decent text editor for DS. I have DS Organize, which is the best one I could find. But, it does not have some things that would be nice, such as a search, true type font support, colors, and the works. Just a basic text editor. Now DS Organize is fine, and has served me well to write many reports and essays for school on my DS. But, an application that is JUST solely a text editor, or word processor for DS with DLDI support would be excellent.
The closest thing I found to that is here:

http://nintendo-ds.dcemu.co.uk/dstexteditor.shtml

That looks like a good editor, yes, but I download the ZIP folder and there is no DS binary(.nds file). How do I get a DS binary of this, or is there one? Do I have to compile the makefile or something with palib or devkit pro? I have palib, but not devkitpro. Please tell me what I need to do, or help! Thanks.

DanTheManMS
June 10th, 2008, 23:31
What you're looking for doesn't exist. The text editors in DSLinux are the closest to being full-featured as you can find, though learning to use them is a challenge.

Bowser N64
June 11th, 2008, 08:23
Ah. Thank you for telling me, but, what about the one in the link above, is that an actually homebrew demo or is it able to be used directly on my DS, or is it a programming project?

Bowser N64
June 11th, 2008, 08:27
I don't know how to use the text editor in DS Linux. I can barely even get INTO DS Linux.

DanTheManMS
June 12th, 2008, 21:45
The one you linked to appears to be more of a demo than anything. There's TXTwriter but its touchscreen handling is atrocious, plus it doesn't have any of the features you want.

DSLinux is difficult to use I'll admit, but the Wiki helps tremendously. If you decide to give it a shot, remember that DSLinux works best with some form of RAM in slot-2. Also know that while this will give you search capability, it won't have font support or colors or anything. You've got your choice of the Vi or Nano text editors if that helps you at all.

Basically, there is no text editor like Microsoft Word. The best you'll get is more along the lines of Notepad or Wordpad.