PDA

View Full Version : Readers ridicule GTA:LCS for feeble multiplayer mode

wraggster
October 2nd, 2005, 20:36
Reader response to Rockstar’s announcement that Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories would include multiplayer functionality has received tepid response from Joystiq readers who are for the most part disappointed that the game will only support ad-hoc multiplayer mode.

In other words, players who hope to play GTA:LCS against others will need to be within 50 feet of other PSP owners who are playing the game at the same time. That’s a real bummer for players who were hoping that the game would allow them to fight opponents from all over.

Here are some reader quotes (edited for clarity):

”So you need 6 players to be on the same network in the same location? Who the hell knows anybody with a PSP, much less 5 people with PSPs, who would conveniently be at the same location at the same time. Get with the times, Rockstar.” — Jeff
”I have no one to play online with close to me. I have one friend in Chicago who lives 5 miles from me; and my other friend lives in Baltimore that has a PSP. How are the three of suppose to play this game together?” — The1
”I don’t know anyone with a psp, when do we get true internet play?” — Zachary
”Come on. Mulitiplayer these days means online. Not just 2 or 6 players in a room. All with PSPs and all with the game. That’s a freaking lan party.” — Jason
There may be hope yet that a third-party provider will create an easy-to-use matchmaking application that allows players to connect to each other online, but the current third-party offerings (Xlink Kai or Xbox Connect) are reputedly far too difficult for the average Joe to set up and use.

Greensprout
October 2nd, 2005, 20:47
”So you need 6 players to be on the same network in the same location? Who the hell knows anybody with a PSP, much less 5 people with PSPs, who would conveniently be at the same location at the same time. Get with the times, Rockstar.” — Jeff

Jeff - i work in an office with two other people, both of whom own PSP's.

So it looks like I'll be taking advantage of the multiplayer mode.

F9zDark
October 3rd, 2005, 05:22
Regardless of that, Rockstar should make the game play over the internet. I know of 1 other person who owns a PSP and he lives across town. Out of all my friends, most of whom are console fans, only 1 has a PSP. Shit, I might as well not even get GTA:LCS if multiplayer will need to be across the room.

But I suppose it wont matter much if Rockstar doesn't make it go through the internet. Someone will just make a computer program to emulate an ad hoc PSP over the wireless connection that will pipe in other PSPs from across the internet.

Rockstar would just be saving themselves alot of trouble if they made it work in infrastructure mode from the getgo.