PDA

View Full Version : Error when upgrading from 3.52M33 to M33-4

GRM
June 15th, 2008, 23:32
Noob Dad here. Spent all day attempting to upgrade my sons' friend's fat PSP - with some degree of success. Mant thanks to all the contributors here who made that possible.

I had access to my sons' consoles - they have a 3.51M33-7 and a 3.52M33-4. Successfully turned one of them into a Pandora battery, made a Magic Stick and managed to get the friend's PSP from official 3.71 down to 1.50 and the upgraded to 3.52M33. All good so far and it plays his backup ISOs.

However, when I try to run the 3.52M33-3 or -4 update, I get the white PSP logo screen, then fade to black then "The game could not be started (80020148)". I've tried with UMD mode set to both Sony NP9660 and M33 driver.

Any pointers as to why?

I was hoping to get it all the way to 3.90M33-3 in the belief that higher must be better - would he be missing much if it stayed at 3.52M33?

Many thanks.

ExcruciationX
June 16th, 2008, 01:33
I believe you have to change the kernal to 3.52 in recovery mode.

Take the battery out, turn it on, and hold the R trigger. You should be in recovery mode. Navigate to "Configuration", and change "Game Folder Homebrew" to 3.52 Kernal (highlight it and press the X button). Then hit back and navigate to "Exit," then run the update.

bah
June 16th, 2008, 04:37
The 3.52 M33-4 update comes with the folder structure :
X:\PSP\GAME150\M33Update4\EBOOT.PBP

As long as he's copying the M33Update4 folder to X:\PSP\GAME150 it shouldn't matter what the recovery mode setting is.

GRM: I'm on 3.52M33-4 and dont see the need to update. My PSP is used for homebrew about 90% of the time, video 9% and official games 1%.
I dont have any games that need a more recent firmware so am happy to stay put for the moment.

If the owner of the PSP is going to want to play the very latest games then I guess you will want to one of the more recent ones.
I seem to read of more cases of instability with the newer firmwares, though I have no personal experience and the most common cause of people messing up their firmware by a long way is newcomers messing with things they don't properly understand.

GRM
June 16th, 2008, 12:32
As long as he's copying the M33Update4 folder to X:\PSP\GAME150 it shouldn't matter what the recovery mode setting is.

That was the trick - I was putting it in X:\ISO.

Many thanks and for your comments regarding the more recent versions. I think I'll stop while I'm ahead and wait for them to find a specific need for a later version.

bah
June 16th, 2008, 15:39
Glad to hear its working. :)

No M33 firmware updates go in X:\ISO, some of the newer ones probably go in X:\PSP\GAME3YY (3YY being the version, 3.72 etc). The readme in the download (or the folder structure of the zip file itself) will tell you where to copy the files.