PDA

View Full Version : SLIM Analog Stick Problems

Neo Elemental
June 16th, 2008, 00:15
So I bought this PSP used on eBay and the owner told me that his analog stick was a little sticky. It was cheap so I got it anyway. The analog stick was fine at first but got worse and worse after using it. It would get locked into certain positions, usually upward, but jiggling it around would get it responsive for a little bit. Eventually it just got stuck in one position, constantly pulling to the up-left. I'm not faint-hearted so I took out the analog unit and took it apart completely and saw that the sliders weren't catching correctly on the post that is connected to the actual nub. I tried fixing the unit but it was gone.

I got a new analog unit but it had the same problem, pulling to the up-left. I thought it was defective so I got ANOTHER one. AND IT HAD THE SAME PROBLEM. I realized my idiocy and booted my PSP with NO analog unit in, and it has the same ghosting effect that pulls automatically to the upper left.

Anyone know how to fix this? Is it an issue with my analog stick controller? With my mobo? Any help? Anybody?

I saw a similar post lower down, but that was for a phat.

Thanks

mike_jmg
June 16th, 2008, 01:01
maybe the conector on the motherboard for the analog stick is dirty, try cleaning it

Neo Elemental
June 16th, 2008, 03:37
Do you have any advice on how exactly to do that without removing the entire board? The connectors face downwards and there doesn't seem to be too much clearance...will compressed air work or do i need actual contact? Rubbing alcohol or what?

Thanks~

Neo Elemental
June 25th, 2008, 18:00
Could this be more of a hardware issue? Is the analog stick unit supposed to fit snugly with the motherboard, cuz mine is little loose. Also, even without the analog unit in the PSP, it still drifts up and to the left...shouldn't this imply that there is a hardware issue that can't be solved with Joysens?

Neo Elemental
June 29th, 2008, 07:47
Okay...so nobody seems to have any answers here. I'll give you an update on what I've tried.

The analog stick pulls up and to the left, which seems to be default for the PSP. From reading other threads, I've seen that whenever there is no input from the analog to the motherboard, that it pulls up and to the left.

I installed Joysens in order to see if it was just a sensitivity/centering issue, but when I pressed note+square, which recenters the nub, it gave the center as -128,-128, which is the upper left corner. This leads me to believe that there is no communication whatsoever between the analog nub and the PSP motherboard.

I had a phat sitting around, so I took out the little rubber piece that sits in the analog unit on the PSP Phat motherboard and placed that in my slim, hoping to insure a connection between the nub and the motherboard, but no go. Centering still reads a -128,-128.

I'm going to try simply touching the connectors on the motherboard while its on with a screwdriver. Someone else told me that they've been able to control the cursor that way. This will allow me to make sure that the problem is not the motherboard itself...

Is there simply something wrong with all 3rd party analog units that they don't go flush up to the motherboard? The connectors on my analog unit are recessed a little into the plastic and I don't remember my original analog unit having it.

Any help?

Neo Elemental
July 9th, 2008, 21:04
Sigh...bump for any help?

grnflme
May 27th, 2009, 01:44
Yeah put that little rubber piece in the hole of the silver thing connected to the screen...it worked for me except the rubber thing got shreded so im literally screwwed if thers no replacement....